Goal: $300, Received: $165.00 (55%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Registered user.

Default Do you have a 1908 Waltham 23J Vanguard sn.18149689?

I might be able to reunite you with it's balance cock and balance

Default Re: Do you have a 1908 Waltham 23J Vanguard sn.18149689? (By: Mark UK)

I wonder what the odds are on that happening? The nearest I've got is over a thousand out. I have one with a mismatched cock and was wondering why someone would need to change one out? What can go wrong with them?

Registered user.

Default Re: Do you have a 1908 Waltham 23J Vanguard sn.18149689? (By: rolandantrobus)

Quote Originally Posted by rolandantrobus View Post
    I wonder what the odds are on that happening? The nearest I've got is over a thousand out. I have one with a mismatched cock and was wondering why someone would need to change one out? What can go wrong with them?
    Probably better odds on winning the lottery

I purchased a 1908 'Bartlett' parts movement cheap as it had the wrong cock BUT it had an Ohlson regulator which I needed. It turns out that both the cock and the balance are for the same Vang'd... and it has a diamond end stone fitted so I probably got my monies worth in gold and gems lol.

Maybe one of the long established watchmakers here can give some insight as to why cocks get swapped, I would have thought that they were as durable as any of the other plates. Just a thought but I have noticed that the balance cock does seem to get a little more wear and discolored probably due to sweaty fingers adjusting the regulator, so it is likely that a common reason for swapping is to maintain the finish? A pretty poor excuse for swapping I know, but some folk are fickle.
    Last edited by Mark UK; 04-13-2017 at 09:23 AM. Reason: just a thought

Blog Entries

Default Re: Do you have a 1908 Waltham 23J Vanguard sn.18149689? (By: Mark UK)

How about the balance staff was too short and he broke the cock trying to bend it down.

Alternatively, he just had a messy bench and he lost it after waiting 6 months for a replacement part for a wheel.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Default Re: Do you have a 1908 Waltham 23J Vanguard sn.18149689? (By: Tom McIntyre)

No, but do you have the balance and balance cock to my Waltham Riverside sn 6614699? When last seen it was in the company of the balance you mention.

Registered user.

Default Re: Do you have a 1908 Waltham 23J Vanguard sn.18149689? (By: ANDY YALE)

Tom, in my case I inherited a cock with endstone and regulator plus the balance minus it's roller.... in a Bartlett grade, that is some messed up work bench lol

Andy, if your movement has that many 6's in it then it's a bad-un, best forget it and move on

A year or so back I purchased approx. 100 Waltham spares movements from a retiring watchmaker, and when I did a cross-check of plates, balances etc I reckon about 30% of them are missing their balances which is quite shocking really and suggests that swapping out the entire balance rather than fitting a new staff was common practice, at least for this particular watchmaker.