Goal: $300, Received: $160.00 (53%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Blog Entries

Default Bergeon 30402 question (balance screw cutting tool)

I bought some used watch repair tools yesterday and in the pile was a Bergeon box containing a 30402 balance tool cutting tool, with the two cutters. It's in nice shape. There is no manual with it, it's fairly self explanatory, but I can't figure out what is the purpose of the tapered pin that one can screw vertically into the base.
    I'd appreciate someone educating me on this. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0009.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	339893   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0010.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	339894  

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bergeon 30402 question (balance screw cutting tool)

Hi Robert,

That's a balance tack which holds the cock up out of the way whilst the balance is being worked on. It means you don't have to remove the balance from the cock.

Regards,

Graham

"Ut tensio, sic vis" - Robert Hooke

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bergeon 30402 question (balance screw cutting tool) (By: gmorse)

Hi Graham,
    Oh I see, yes that makes sense. Thank you very much for clarifying this for me. Time will tell whether I will use this tool or not to shed mass from balance screws (I gather from DeCarle that not all watchmakers favour this approach), but Bergeon tools are always such well thought out and manufactured little objects.
    In the parts and tools I acquired was a box containing 12 vials each containing small washers to add weight to balance screws, so I'll need to educate myself on when to add weight vs when to remove some!
    Cheers,
    --Robert

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bergeon 30402 question (balance screw cutting tool) (By: rstl99)

Hi Robert,

Adding weight will slow it down, removing will speed it up, but remember that the former is reversible but if the latter removes metal from the screws, and you overdo it, will require the addition of timing washers! Substituting lighter screws is a non-invasive way of reducing the weight. This is separate from poising or temperature compensation considerations.

Regards,

Graham

"Ut tensio, sic vis" - Robert Hooke

Default Re: Bergeon 30402 question (balance screw cutting tool) (By: gmorse)

Not only don't overdo it, but stop and ask yourself why you are removing weight before doing so. Make sure you aren't just compensating for some other fault by removing (or adding) weight. The watch left the factory with a given balance weight and timed correctly. Ask yourself what changed between then and now.

Default Re: Bergeon 30402 question (balance screw cutting tool) (By: Dave Coatsworth)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Coatsworth View Post
    Not only don't overdo it, but stop and ask yourself why you are removing weight before doing so. Make sure you aren't just compensating for some other fault by removing (or adding) weight. The watch left the factory with a given balance weight and timed correctly. Ask yourself what changed between then and now.
    It is a good comment.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bergeon 30402 question (balance screw cutting tool) (By: roughbarked)

Yes indeed very insightful and thoughtful comments, I appreciate you both for sharing the knowledge.
    Well I suppose it's nice to have that tool and those washers if/when I should ever need them, and to have a better idea now how and when to use them.
    Thank you again.

Basically, these are factory tools. ie: for people who make watches.

Quote Originally Posted by rstl99 View Post
    Yes indeed very insightful and thoughtful comments, I appreciate you both for sharing the knowledge.
    Well I suppose it's nice to have that tool and those washers if/when I should ever need them, and to have a better idea now how and when to use them.
    Thank you again.
    Better to have a tool and not need it than to need it and not have it. That's the way I look at it also.

Robert