Goal: $300, Received: $80.00 (27%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default More information needed on a Model 299 Gruen Precision 25 Jewels

I have all of the original documents/boxes with it. I'm just wondering more about it, since I already tried resetting the day on it but not going too well. I see posts on this forum asking for movements, year, where it was made, etc. and that's what I'd like to know too. I couldn't find too much on this particular model by myself.

Picture of the watch:

Picture of the label:

Default Re: More information needed on a Model 299 Gruen Precision 25 Jewels (By: CardCO12)

Possibly an ETA 2824-2 movement. Whoever owned the Gruen name in the 1980's sold some models with this movement. I have one in a square case with a window in the back for viewing the movement. Walmart had 4 or 5 different style cases for a few months.

Default Re: More information needed on a Model 299 Gruen Precision 25 Jewels (By: John Arrowood)

It looks like your watch is the "Ronald" which would be the model name. 25 jewels auto wind or automatic. Most likely Swiss made.

The book you have should show you how to correctly set the day/date feature. Probably a two position stem, first click will change the day or date or both?

I will see if I can find out more and update. A picture of the case back might help and I'm not going to ask for a movement picture unless you want to take the watch to a watchmaker for service, and then a movement picture will be great.

Default Re: More information needed on a Model 299 Gruen Precision 25 Jewels (By: Hawk53)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk53 View Post
    It looks like your watch is the "Ronald" which would be the model name. 25 jewels auto wind or automatic. Most likely Swiss made.

The book you have should show you how to correctly set the day/date feature. Probably a two position stem, first click will change the day or date or both?

I will see if I can find out more and update. A picture of the case back might help and I'm not going to ask for a movement picture unless you want to take the watch to a watchmaker for service, and then a movement picture will be great.
    The back says stainless steel and metal base. The middle of the back of the case just says a quote about whose it was.

Default Re: More information needed on a Model 299 Gruen Precision 25 Jewels (By: CardCO12)

Three position stem. One for winding manually the next for fast date change and the next for hand setting.

All day date or date watches with fast change mechanisms can be damaged by using the fast setting mode when the hands are in the positions between 20 and 24 hours. Fast date setting should onnly be done when the hands are in the 12:00 position for safety.

Depending upon the movement fitted. Some roll the day date in the middle position. some pulled past the hand set position and each pull pushed the date another day forward.

http://www.gruenwristwatches.com/new...g-method-2.php
    Last edited by roughbarked; 04-13-2017 at 01:34 AM.