Goal: $300, Received: $275.00 (92%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Info. on ladies Fahys Montauk/Meric Watch Co. pocket watch

Hi all,

I have just acquired a vintage pocket watch that appears to have been converted into a wristwatch and wanted to see if the fine folks here on this forum could provide anymore information about it. The inside reads that it's a 15 jewel movement by the Meric Watch Company. It also says "Fahys Montauk Quality 930." The case number is 10371001. My watchmaker told me he believes it to be from either the late 1800s or early 1900s. I have no idea on the value of this watch, as I don't really know its level of collectibility. Thank you for any information you can provide. I really appreciate it.

-Jesse

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Watch1.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	358.2 KB 
ID:	339840

Smile Re: Info. on ladies Fahys Montauk/Meric Watch Co. pocket watch

Hi Jesse:

Welcome to the NAWCC American Pocket Watch Message Board!

This may be a Swiss movement, by the 1920s, the case makers were importing movements and bundling them into their cases to market as complete watches.

It would be helpful if you could post pictures of the movement (the "works") and markings stamped inside of the watch case (you can ignore any "hand-scratched" characters, they're watch repairers' marks), the clearer and sharper, the better. Clearness and sharpness is important as differences in makes, watch grades or case material markings can be subtle. Other pictures will help a little, but these are the most important. We may be able to identify it by the shape of the plates.

In trying to open the watch, you might find the information in the Encyclopedia article entitled "How To Open A Pocket Watch Case" useful - but it may not apply to wristwatches.

For instructions on posting pictures, see the Global Thread entitled "How to Add a Picture from your PC or Laptop" which is also listed at the top of the forum.

It's also helpful if you can post (i.e., type out) all the markings that are inside of the case and that are on the movement, especially the movement serial number, in case they can't be seen in the picture(s).

Good luck,
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Default Re: Info. on ladies Fahys Montauk/Meric Watch Co. pocket watch (By: Kent)

Hi Kent,

I believe you are right that it's a Swiss movement, so apologies if this was posted in the wrong forum. It does read "Swiss" at the bottom of the dial. As I mentioned in the previous post, the inside reads that it's a 15 jewel movement by the Meric Watch Company. And the other side of the case reads "Fahys Montauk Quality 930." The case number is 10371001. I am attaching a picture of the movement and markings stamped inside the watch case. Thank you for your assistance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Watch2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	276.8 KB 
ID:	339842Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Watch3.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	377.9 KB 
ID:	339843

Default Re: Info. on ladies Fahys Montauk/Meric Watch Co. pocket watch (By: jntemple11)

Moving to the Wristwatch Forum for better coverage.