Goal: $300, Received: $370.00 (124%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Old GHS Cuckoo-Quail Weights

I recently picked up a circa 1900 GHS cuckoo-quail clock. It came with two 1250g weights that were the same, and a third weight significantly more. I verified that it is a one-day clock. Usually such weights are affiliated with 8-day weights. I imagine that the two lower weights are not original to the clock. Does anyone know what size weights were original to such a clock?

Default Re: Old GHS Cuckoo-Quail Weights (By: MuensterMann)

Often around 800 to 1000 gms.
    Willie X

Default Re: Old GHS Cuckoo-Quail Weights (By: Willie X)

Wow, still an awful large amount of weight for a one day! Thanks Willie for the input!

All three weights on mine are 3.2 pounds each.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Default Re: Old GHS Cuckoo-Quail Weights (By: shutterbug)

Wow! Okay, 1451 grams each!! Perhaps the 1250g weights on mine are the original ones (well, the two of the three). Shutterbug, is yours a GHS clock as well and do you believe your weights are original?

Registered user.

I have a GHS 8 Day cuckoo and it runs a pair of 3.5kilo pinecone weights, try to run lighter weights and it doesn't like it, so it sounds like your weights are about right.

Quote Originally Posted by MuensterMann View Post
    Wow! Okay, 1451 grams each!! Perhaps the 1250g weights on mine are the original ones (well, the two of the three). Shutterbug, is yours a GHS clock as well and do you believe your weights are original?

I'm not sure, Muenster. It's an old one though

Here is a photo of this cuckoo quail. The movement has pins to hold the plates. Any information on this clock - such as the age? I know that it is probably somewhere between 1890 and 1910. Also, here is a photo of one of the two weights that are the same. It has a 2 1/2 on it, probably for 2.5 pounds (1133g), although the weights weight about 1210 and 1260g.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails weight.JPG   front.JPG  

Muenster, your clock appears as model 4083 on the GHS 1905 catalogue. Of course, the production of the model could start earlier than that.

Aitor
    It's all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever. Steiner

Default Re: Old GHS Cuckoo-Quail Weights (By: ballistarius)

Same mark as on my weight (only one has a mark). Yes, 1905 sounds real close.

Thanks all for the information!

My pleasure!
    BTW, is the model number '4083' handwritten on the backboard of your clock?

Aitor
    It's all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever. Steiner

Default Re: Old GHS Cuckoo-Quail Weights (By: ballistarius)

I looked at the back door, inside and outside and didn't find any model number. I looked inside the clock as well and didn't see any number. The only writings I find on the back door are dates of service in the 50s, 60s, and 70s and the name of the repairman.

Many thanks
    I asked you because my GHS cuckoo has the model number handwritten on the backboard. Recently, another GHS cuckoo appeared on this MB and it too had the model number handwritten on the backboard. I was carrying some sort of informal survey...

Aitor