Goal: $300, Received: $275.00 (92%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default North American Model Engineering Show

Its that time of the year again.

If you happen to be in the Detroit area, the North American Model Engineering Show will be held April 22-23

http://www.namesexposition.com

This is a great show for beginners as well as the seasoned Horologist. Many people with horological interest attend including display people as well as new and used tool venders.
    It is one of the few places where one can become inspired by the high quality workmanship as well as be encouraged with machining tips from the makers.

Personally, over the years, I have suggested some procedures for both watches and clocks that are not commonly practiced in horological repair. I will be happy to demonstrate anything I have suggested providing I have the tooling with me or contact me off line and I will try to bring what is needed.

Just look me up (Guy with the Loupe clipped to his shirt) or ask a show person to point me out.

Jerry Kieffer

Default Re: North American Model Engineering Show (By: Jerry Kieffer)

I look forward to seeing you at the expo center Jerry.
    Just curious if anyone else from the message board is planning on attending?

Default Re: North American Model Engineering Show (By: Harry Hopkins)

Jerry, I hope to see you out there. Great show. The show is in Wyandotte, Mi.

Cheers, Ralph

Default Re: North American Model Engineering Show (By: Ralph)

See you guy`s at the Show.

Jerry Kieffer

Default Re: North American Model Engineering Show (By: Harry Hopkins)

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Hopkins View Post
    I look forward to seeing you at the expo center Jerry.
    Just curious if anyone else from the message board is planning on attending?
    I went and the main reason was to see Jerry again. I always enjoy seeing what he has been doing.

Default Re: North American Model Engineering Show (By: Dave D)

Very interesting Show again this year.

Got to meet with several familiar faces such as the ones above and several new ones. All and All it was a great time.

Shows such as this are often over looked by the Horologist, but often offer greater opportunity for increased knowledge and equipment/tooling bargains than many Horological events not to mention the inspiration. Especially for beginners. Even the featured item this year was Horological with available construction plans.

There was also no shortage of equipment and tooling again this year including one exceptional opportunity for the early bird on Saturday. One of the venders showed up with approximately 200 watch and clock wheel and pinion size cutters. I understand they were sold to several individuals for about $1.50 each in lots even though he started out at $5.00 each.

Jerry Kieffer

Default Re: North American Model Engineering Show (By: Jerry Kieffer)

Just to expand on what Jerry had to say a little bit..

It was my first NAMES expo. I was in awe of the craftsmanship on display. Every one of the exhibitors I spoke with was more than helpful in answering questions about how they accomplished this or that.. I especially enjoyed looking through all the used tools that some of the vendors had for sale and overspent my budget. Also nice was the ability to pick up and inspect some of the new tools on display that I had only seen in catalogs. Most vendors had show specials that were bargains. Jerry was busy constantly doing demo's in the Sherline booth making everything look easier than it really is but it was encouraging to see what can be accomplished with some practice. Anyone that has an interest in making small parts or model making would enjoy the expo. I already plan to attend again next year.