Goal: $300, Received: $225.00 (75%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Gorgeous Elgin wrist watch needs repair. HELP

Good morning all, I have a gorgeous little Elgin wrist watch that needs repair. I've never seen one like this. I'm not a watch expert, but I have only found pocket watches by Elgin from this era. So far, three repair shops have passed on repairing it. Can anyone recommend one that can handle this? Pics attached. Thx. Kent Reichert
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KRF_0671.jpg 
Views:	1360 
Size:	582.2 KB 
ID:	339774   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KRF_0672.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	373.4 KB 
ID:	339775   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KRF_0673.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	421.7 KB 
ID:	339776   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KRF_0674.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	397.0 KB 
ID:	339777   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KRF_0675.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	566.3 KB 
ID:	339778  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KRF_0676.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	549.9 KB 
ID:	339779   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KRF_0677.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	861.7 KB 
ID:	339780   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KRF_0679.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	817.4 KB 
ID:	339781   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KRF_0680.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	686.6 KB 
ID:	339782  

Default Re: Gorgeous Elgin wrist watch needs repair. HELP (By: maxbernat)

Any watchmaker would at least quote you a price for servicing the watch. I can't tell the condition of the bushings, but if they're in decent shape, the watch may be worth repairing. Of course a lot depends on how much you have into the watch, and you're willing to put into repairing it. If it just needs a clean, oil, and adjust (COA), you might get by for $80-120. If it needs more, the prices start to add up quickly.

In looking at your images, I'm not seeing hairspring on the balance. I see the stud, but don't see it passing through the regulator. If it's missing the hairspring, or it's mangled, that may be why shops are sending you away. If this is the case, you might have to keep your eye out for a donor movement (shouldn't be hard to find) to get the hairspring and second-hand from. It's a nice-looking trench-watch. Good luck with getting it repaired. Cheers.

Default Re: Gorgeous Elgin wrist watch needs repair. HELP

This is a inexpensive 7j 0s Hunter elgin pocket watch movement. You probably can
    buy a working one on ebay for under $20. Very easy to find.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...t+watch&_sop=1

Rob
    Last edited by musicguy; 04-11-2017 at 01:08 PM.

Default Re: Gorgeous Elgin wrist watch needs repair. HELP (By: musicguy)

I'm surprised that none of those repair shops had the parts to fix your watch with. Or they just don't think the watch is worth it. But I don't see why they would care if you're willing to pay for it.

Robert

Default Re: Gorgeous Elgin wrist watch needs repair. HELP (By: Accutronica)

Most places that people notice to bring their watches to are jewelers, not watchmakers. Even a lot of the places that advertise watch repair send out actual watch work. mostly just doing battery replacement in-house.

Check the Business Directory for watch repair people and hopefully you can find one in your area. Depending on where you are you may find that you need to use the postal service.
    "Look, he is winding up the watch of his wit, by and by it will strike"
    Shakespeare The Tempest

Registered user.

Default Re: Gorgeous Elgin wrist watch needs repair. HELP

Quote Originally Posted by MrRoundel View Post
    In looking at your images, I'm not seeing hairspring on the balance. I see the stud, but don't see it passing through the regulator. If it's missing the hairspring, or it's mangled, that may be why shops are sending you away. If this is the case, you might have to keep your eye out for a donor movement (shouldn't be hard to find) to get the hairspring and second-hand from. It's a nice-looking trench-watch. Good luck with getting it repaired. Cheers.
    The Hairspring is there. Save the pic and then open it in your image program and zoom in. It's there. It's probably wrong or mangled though as it doesn't go through the regulator pins. Nor does it look shaped correctly to do that anyway.

Could be a simple repair and service. Or, it could require a new donor movement and a service on it. Depending on what the OP wants to spend, it's either worth the cost or not.

I think it's a 6s and not a 0s movement. I didn't bother to check the serial # though. Dial is nice, hands need reblued and the case looks undented. But, for some reason the pics show the back and bezel to be yellow gold and the center to be rose gold. Plus there's a lot of lead solder repair that needs cleaned up. A correct/full restoration might push the price envelope over what it's worth unless there's sentimental value in there somplace.

T'were me and I had an attachment to it, I'd be looking for a high jewel count donor in good shape and having the case repairs checked and corrected by an expert and seeing about maybe having the case parts replated for color match.
    Last edited by Rob P.; 04-11-2017 at 10:40 PM.

Default Re: Gorgeous Elgin wrist watch needs repair. HELP (By: maxbernat)

According to the Pocket Watch Database (https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/sear.../elgin/6579114), it's an Elgin Grade 109:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elgin Grade 109.png 
Views:	90 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	339925  

Registered user.

Default Re: "Run Quantity" ?

Thank you, BPH, for that information.

What does "Run Quantity" mean?
    Why does that differ from Total Production?

Is Railroad Grade a more accurate watch?

Are jewels always an odd number?

Thank you.

Robert
    Confucius say: "Man own clock know time. Own two, never sure."

Registered user.

Default Re: "Run Quantity" ? (By: Robert Gift)

They made the watches in batches consisting of a single particular grade. How big those batches is the run quantity. In your case, your watch is 1 of an 8000 movement batch.

Total production is the total number of watches ever produced by the factory in that grade/size. Your watch is 1 of 8000 out of a total of 315000.

Railroad grade is a slang term meaning accepted for use on the railroad as a timepiece. It was reserved for only specific grades of watches that were built to specific standards to help ensure accuracy.

Yes, jewels are usually odd numbers. The roller jewel has no counterpart. Staffs and arbors have pivots on either end and can be jeweled on both ends, but the roller jewel is ALWAYS singular. There could be an exception where the roller jewel is not a jewel or the movement could have a strange setup in pivot jewels leaving one end of a staff/arbor unjeweled and also have an odd number of staffs/arbors. I don't know of any movements with this setup, but it is theoretically possible.

Registered user.

Default Re: "Run Quantity" ? (By: Rob P.)

There could be an exception where the roller jewel is not a jewel or the movement could have a strange setup in pivot jewels leaving one end of a staff/arbor unjeweled and also have an odd number of staffs/arbors
    I have serviced some Swiss movements with an even number of jewels, often 16. These movements have a roller jewel but the even number comes from one additional jewel in the center wheel bridge. (They left the main plate unjeweled in the center.)