Goal: $300, Received: $115.00 (38%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Durable pocket watch (By: smurphy)

Nice collection... I really like the one with the serial 400325 inside the hunter case top. What model is that as it has a beautiful back to it.

I just received my Westclox Pocket Ben. I'm quite satisfied with it. It's not nearly as nice as what you have, and you can feel the quality difference between it and my Waltham. I'm still waiting to hear back from the seller on what is wrong with it. It was delivered on Saturday, but with the Easter Holiday, I'm certain he has yet had a chance to look at it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1606.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	266.3 KB 
ID:	340548

Registered user.

Default Re: Durable pocket watch (By: kd8tzc)

Kinda late for this thread but I purchased a Illinois 12s grade 405 model 3 17 jewel open face pocket watch which had issues for under $50. I took a chance as the seller advised the balance wheel was sticky but everything else worked except it was not keeping time. Turned out to be a terrific looking watch and movement. I was guessing it just needed cleaning and oiling so I got started disassembly and found it had a broken lower balance jewel cap. I was hopeful that it would still work with a cracked jewel cap but nope. It works just fine when placed on its face, just a little slow but when I turn it on it's back, the balance wheel stops.

So now is the question as to how to obtain a new balance jewel cap? I tried looking up a part number or size references but no luck. It's 2 millimeters in diameter with 2 small locking screws on the outside edges. I tried buying a parts movement on the bay but I get outbid. This is my 5th watch repair, 2nd pocket watch service, (my own watches) so I'm just learning. Any recommendations would sure be appreciated.
    Rob

Registered user.

Default Re: Durable pocket watch (By: kd8tzc)

Oops, I meant to say when I turn the watch on it's face, the balance wheel stops.