Goal: $300, Received: $360.00 (120%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Thread: Appleton Tracy

Default Appleton Tracy

I'm looking at a Appleton Tracy 17 jewel mdl 1883 watch, but in the grey book, in the PW database, and in the Nawcc data systems, they all list that serialnumber to a 15 jewel Crescent street. Is there a definitive answer as to what this watch should be ?
    Thanks,
    Bill

Default Re: Appleton Tracy (By: Bill Manders)

I think we at least need the serial number...

Default Re: Appleton Tracy (By: Dave Coatsworth)

sorry Dave,
    I guess that would help, 6025834.
    Bill

Default Re: Appleton Tracy

The handwritten records show it as a small run of 200 Non-Magnetic OF 15J movements (Sept '92 to July '95, which is a relatively long time for a run of 200). The two runs just before it, of 500 HC made Nov '94 to Oct '95, and 300 OF made Oct '94 to Feb '96, each have the note "a few made 17 Jew(els)" ... so it seems that either the Non-Mag run also had a "few made 17 Jew(els)", but did not get the handwritten notation, or the movement stayed in inventory long enough that it was up-jeweled at a later date. We see discrepancies like this a lot, especially from manufacturers who we have the most information on as we can better compare records with watches. The watches themselves, if they've not been modified at a later date, are the true story.

Dave

btw - the handwritten records has the 3 runs I mention above as being grade "Crescent St." ... another anomaly which again may mean the watch stayed in inventory long enough to be marked differently to meet a later order for Appleton Tracy & Co movements ... are you sure your number is 6025824 and not 6023824, which is an ATCo run?
    Last edited by Dave Chaplain; 04-11-2017 at 08:31 AM.
    Member Chapter 149

Default Re: Appleton Tracy (By: Dave Chaplain)

Hi Dave,
    I just checked again and the serial number off the movement is 6025834. The item has now sold, you know snooze you lose, but the item number if interested is #382032299496.
    It is likely just an anomaly, the run must have been split somewhere.
    Thanks for all the good information.
    Bill

Question Re: Appleton Tracy (By: Bill Manders)

Bill:

When I searched for item number 382032299496, eBay didn't recognize it. Can you post a link to the completed auction?
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Thumbs up Re: Appleton Tracy

Thanks Dave:

Now that I see it, its one of the auctions that I've been waiting to close so that I could list it as an observation. I'll get in up shortly.

Okay, the observation has been entered in the Waltham Serial Numbers Data Base
    Last edited by Kent; 04-11-2017 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Spl correction and noted that the observation had been added.
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Default Re: Appleton Tracy (By: Kent)

Quote Originally Posted by Kent View Post
    When I searched for item number 382032299496, eBay didn't recognize it. Can you post a link to the completed auction?
    Hi Kent,

When searching for a listing that has already closed, scroll down and see on the left hand side some check boxes, and under the last heading "Show only" be sure to check the "Sold listings" box. Then you'll be able to search for a completed listing.

Dave
    Member Chapter 149

Default Re: Appleton Tracy (By: Dave Chaplain)

And for the benefit of anybody reading this thread in the distant future - even the Sold/completed listings usually get removed after a period of time (measured in months, I believe.) After that time, neither following the link nor searching for the item number will find the item in question.