Goal: $300, Received: $165.00 (55%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Help needed with this alarm mechanism (By: kimgw)

Looks like some form of sear/trigger mechanism to trigger the alarm. Will that top right lever move to catch behind the top end of the lever which wraps around the center shaft?

Looks like you might have to set the alarm, then pull back the hammer to "cock" it before pulling up the weight. Or something like that.
    Last edited by Randy Beckett; 04-11-2017 at 10:56 AM.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws."- Plato (428 - 348 BC)

Shutterbug, this clock seem to have got a number of different threads started. It is a wooden movement Bäuerle wall clock ('Postman's alarm' style) and if you look at the post headed 'lubricating a clock with metal movement but wooden plates', which was the original posting, you will see photos of the whole clock.

JTD

Default Re: Help needed with this alarm mechanism (By: JTD)

Thanks, JTD. That makes things difficult to work with, so I've merged the two threads into one.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Default Re: Help needed with this alarm mechanism (By: shutterbug)

It's a weight driven postman's alarm clock.
    I really think that the alarm hand is simply not on correctly, but I don't know how it should be. Here are some extra pics without having to take the case apart again. The case is put together with wooden pegs and tiny nails. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170401_090442.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	254.3 KB 
ID:	339798Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170401_090202.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	235.8 KB 
ID:	339799Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170401_090213.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	250.4 KB 
ID:	339800

Default Re: Help needed with this alarm mechanism (By: JTD)

Sorry! It was a different topic so I thought it needed a new thread. New to the forum! My apologies!

Default Re: Lubricating a clock with metal movement but wooden plates (By: kimgw)

I stand corrected,Tobias Bäuerle indeed! Should sharpen my eyeglasses!
    Burkhard
    Gigni de nihilo nihil,et nihil in nihilum posse reverti
    (Persius)

Default Re: Help needed with this alarm mechanism (By: Randy Beckett)

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Beckett View Post
    Looks like some form of sear/trigger mechanism to trigger the alarm. Will that top right lever move to catch behind the top end of the lever which wraps around the center shaft?

Looks like you might have to set the alarm, then pull back the hammer to "cock" it before pulling up the weight. Or something like that.
    There are instructions for the alarm on the inside door. According to it, you turn the inner hand counterclockwise until it reaches the hour you want the alarm to sound. Then you hang a weight. When the clock strikes that hour, the alarm goes off. You have to remove the weight to make it stop or it will stop when the weight is on the floor of course! The problem is, when I hang the weight, the alarm goes off no matter where the time is. Thus, I think the alarm hand is not set up correctly to trigger the alarm.
    The wire that wraps around the shaft is connected to the alarm hand. The pics show it the way I found it when purchased. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170411_172636.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	218.7 KB 
ID:	339851Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170411_172650.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	318.9 KB 
ID:	339852Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170411_172625.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	291.7 KB 
ID:	339853

Blog Entries

This is an unusual set up Kim and not one I have had any dealings with. But something with that steel wire contraption that is attached to the hour pipe doesn't look right. It looks like the tail of it should sit in the middle of that brass bracket. I believe that tail should interact with the other steel wire that hangs down to somehow trigger the alarm. Least, that is how it appears to me.
    Cheers
    Peter R Lee: AKA (Pee-Tah) from Australia

Default Re: Help needed with this alarm mechanism (By: leeinv66)

Quote Originally Posted by leeinv66 View Post
    This is an unusual set up Kim and not one I have had any dealings with. But something with that steel wire contraption that is attached to the hour pipe doesn't look right. It looks like the tail of it should sit in the middle of that brass bracket. I believe that tail should interact with the other steel wire that hangs down to somehow trigger the alarm. Least, that is how it appears to me.
    Do you know what the purpose of that wire, or spring, is that is anchored at the middle top and goes to the center shaft behind the hour gear?
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws."- Plato (428 - 348 BC)

Default Re: Help needed with this alarm mechanism (By: shutterbug)

Well, we can close the alarm topic!
    I figured it out! Hallelujah! 😀
    The alarm hand shaft has a notch in it. The hands arbor (terminology?) has a raised piece that slides into the notch when the hour hand lines up with the alarm hand. The long wire is a spring that pulls the alarm shaft toward the movement. The shaft is attached to an arm that sits in a slot blocking the alarm lever. When the shaft slides over the raised area, the alarm arm shifts and allows the alarm to ring! I'm so excited to have this clock working!!! 😀
    Thanks for everyone's tips!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170411_202134.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	327.7 KB 
ID:	339878Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170411_202633.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	233.7 KB 
ID:	339879

Glad you did it! Here is another funny Bauerle alarm movement http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?1...alarm-movement

Aitor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cam-lever.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	316.9 KB 
ID:	339884  
    It's all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever. Steiner

Default Re: Help needed with this alarm mechanism (By: ballistarius)

Quote Originally Posted by ballistarius View Post
    Glad you did it! Here is another funny Bauerle alarm movement http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?1...alarm-movement

Aitor
    That's awesome! And thanks for those pics! I've been searching everywhere for a picture of the T. B. brass deer cutout! My clock has the engraving on the back of the wooden case and the brass cutout, but for some reason, the cutout is leaping to the right! So far, no one has seen one like this!

Hi,
    In fact I didn't remember I had that movement It must be currently stored inside a cardboard box somewhere (I hope I wrote something on it...) No clue on why your stag is looking to the other side, but there are lots of variations on these BF clocks!
    Regards,

Aitor
    It's all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever. Steiner

Default Re: Help needed with this alarm mechanism (By: ballistarius)

I really think that the only reason it's leaping to the right is that it simply wouldn't have fit the other way because of the way the alarm is set up!

Surely it's just that. They had sets of cutouts looking right and left to suit different movements
    Yesterday, while I was answering to you, I thought for a moment: 'Well, if the stag on my movement would be looking right, maybe its back leg would interfere with the lever and coiled spring near...' then I dismissed the idea

Aitor