Goal: $300, Received: $125.00 (42%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lubricating a clock with metal movement but wooden plates

I have a postman's alarm clock that does not run.
    I have never worked on a clock with wooden plates.
    How do I lubricate the pivots?
    And if anyone knows anything about this clockmaker, I would be very interested! I'm intrigued by the little brass deer I found behind the face plate!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20170410_070207.jpg   IMG_20170410_070152.jpg   IMG_20170410_070207.jpg   IMG_20170410_070221.jpg   IMG_20170410_070235.jpg  

IMG_20170401_090442.jpg   IMG_20170401_090213.jpg   IMG_20170401_090202.jpg   IMG_20170401_090219.jpg  

Default Re: Lubricating a clock with metal movement but wooden plates (By: kimgw)

I just realized it has metal bushings, so I'm assuming that clock oil is used.

Default Re: Lubricating a clock with metal movement but wooden plates (By: kimgw)

Quote Originally Posted by kimgw View Post
    Only enough to fill the metal bushings.

Quote Originally Posted by kimgw View Post
    Metal pivots in metal pivot holes (or metal bushings) need oil but sparingly. Oil and wood are a bad combination. Metal pivots in wood pivot holes do not require oil. By the way, nice clock.

RC

Default Re: Lubricating a clock with metal movement but wooden plates (By: R. Croswell)

Indeed it is a nice clock.

The little brass deer is very similar to the mark used by Tobias Bäuerle & Son, of St. Georgen (Germany) though it is usually facing the opposite way.

Tobias Bäuerle did make clocks with wooden works; however, I have never seen a wooden works clock with a deer as the anchor plate, Bäuerle usually used a little brass fish.

The deer on your clock looks a little crudely carved and also the fixings look as if they might be later. I wonder whether someone made a replica of the Bäuerle deer and put it on, for some reason.

It is a little puzzling but others may know more.

JTD

Default Re: Lubricating a clock with metal movement but wooden plates (By: JTD)

Thanks for the input! I have it up and running, but I haven't figured out the alarm mechanism yet. Every time I hang the weight on the alarm chain the alarm sounds until the weight hits the floor! And that thing is LOUD!!!!
    And yes, this clock was a sweet find I got ridiculously cheap at a recent estate sale!
    Just started working on clocks last week! Learning as I go!

If you look at the instructions on how to set the 'alarum' on the label on your clock, you will find the answer to your continuous alarm question. The idea was to get you out of bed.........!

JTD

the "little brass deer" actualy is a hare (admittedly with big ears),so it´s Phillip Haas as far as I can see. Nice clock,congrats!
    Burkhard
    Gigni de nihilo nihil,et nihil in nihilum posse reverti
    (Persius)

Default Re: Lubricating a clock with metal movement but wooden plates (By: Burkhard Rasch)

Burkhard, I don't think I've ever seen a Phillip Haas hare with a little coronet on its neck (as Bäuerle's deer has) and the 'ears' on this one look more like antlers to me.

But you may be right - it is at least pointing the right way!

JTD

I am with JTD, Burkhard: it is not the Haas hare.

Aitor
    It's all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever. Steiner

Default Re: Lubricating a clock with metal movement but wooden plates (By: ballistarius)

In the June and July 2010 issues of Clocks Magazine, Doug Stevenson did a two part article titled "Something Old, Something New." The article discussed these Schotten type movements. In July part of the article, Doug shows several examples of Haas's Hakenblaettchen, a hare that was really quite different from what is shown on Kim's clock. Given the carvings in the "ears," I presume they are meant to represent antlers. I tend to agree that this is Tobias Bäuerle's Hirsch (deer). Alas, Doug did not show anything from a Bäuerle Schottenuhr.
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde

Default Re: Lubricating a clock with metal movement but wooden plates (By: Steven Thornberry)

Thanks so much! It is definitely a Tobias Bäuerle!
    There is a very faint stamp on the back that is his mark. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20170410-173106.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	606.8 KB 
ID:	339724Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170410_173521.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	188.3 KB 
ID:	339725

Default Help needed with this alarm mechanism

Moderator's note: You'll notice the title change at this point. Two threads were merged to keep things together. - shutterbug
    I have a Tobias Bäuerle alarm clock.
    I'm not sure how the alarm hand should be attached.
    Could someone advise as to how this should be?
    Pictures show how it is now. Currently, the alarm sounds no matter where the hands are.
    Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20170411_092006.jpg   IMG_20170411_092029.jpg   IMG_20170411_092038.jpg  
    Last edited by shutterbug; 04-11-2017 at 11:02 AM.

Default Re: Help needed with this alarm mechanism (By: kimgw)

Can we see the actual alarm mechanism? The only thing that comes to mind right now is an electric/battery powered alarm, which seems unlikely for a clock that old.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.