Goal: $300, Received: $225.00 (75%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Thread: Timemaster!

Default Timemaster!

After wanting one for a few years, I was finally able to snag an Elgin 540! This was Elgin's last 23j pocket watch grade.

Well, PROBABLY the last. This is Elgin we're talking about. Maybe they DID make some 569s or 570s....

Here's the pic and blurb from the 1942 catalog...

I really wanted to get it in the 3053 case, and finally one came up in my price range. And fortunately, in great shape, despite the poor quality pics in the listing.

Here's the movement. I stopped it for the pic, so you can see the Invar balance, cut 2/3 of the way around:

The serial number put it 44 movements from the end of the final run of 540s.

And here's my collection of Elgin's last 4 16s BW Raymond railroad watches. The 581 doesn't count, right?

Top row: 23j 540 Timemaster in 3053 case; 21j 478 in 3051 case
    Bottom row: 21j 590 with Canadian RR dial in 3051 case; 21j 571 in 3055 case

Default Re: Timemaster! (By: GeneJockey)

It's amazing how minimalist and stripped down this looks compared to the earlier 23j movements like the Vanguard. Very sleek and easy to service, I bet, the kind of watch that should run forever if maintained.

Default Re: Timemaster! (By: ANDY YALE)

Very nice B W Raymond!

Rob

Default Re: Timemaster! (By: musicguy)

Nice post Gene...Nice pics, nice history, nice collection. Thanks
    John Cote
    Watch Collector (pocket & wrist), Clock Admirer, Time Nerd...

Default Re: Timemaster! (By: GeneJockey)

The advert says it's a natural gold filled case. I wonder what an unnatural gf case would look like?

Also I'm curious about the black circle on the dial... is this basically just a black line that's there to give the impression of a "sunk" dial, like I have on some of my later 16s Walthams?

Default Re: Timemaster! (By: topspin)

Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    The advert says it's a natural gold filled case. I wonder what an unnatural gf case would look like?

Also I'm curious about the black circle on the dial... is this basically just a black line that's there to give the impression of a "sunk" dial, like I have on some of my later 16s Walthams?
    In Elgin's ads and catalogs, 'natural' meant yellow gold filled, versus white or rose.

Yeah, I think the black circle was to suggest a double-sunk dial. Not sure when they started that one. A quick survey of Ebay shows the black circles present only on watches with serial numbers > 31 Million, which is about 1927 according to Schilts. They started adding the black circle before the star.