Goal: $300, Received: $275.00 (92%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default The new watch: My 1774 Gridley Verge Fusee...

Hi all,

Thought I would share - although I have already posted to the old Barron thread since it is now an entirely new watch (I traded up) I thought the watch deserves a thread of its own...

So far - it has been ticking along ALMOST perfectly (and yes, I did go with the courier option to get it here to Sweden - rather than the horrendous Swedish mail service) and I think the only problem I have had so far in about 3 x 24 wind cycles has been that the hands slipped once (today) and lost maybe 10 minutes - but this has happened once only in that time...

It may be she is just settling in

One thing I have noticed - with several watches so far - they DON'T seem to like it very much if you hold them on about a 70 degree angle (pendant up and dial angling downwards towards the floor) for a while...

IF there is any sort of fault at all this seems to be the position where the watch will either stop or at least struggle and skip a beat (?)

Anyway - beautiful watch - hopeful she will last me for a very long time and give me many years of service and enjoyment.

Hope you will all like the pictures...

John

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cases.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	118.4 KB 
ID:	339323Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Complete watch.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	339324Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dial 1.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	339325Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dial 2.jpg 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	339326Click image for larger version. 

Name:	movement 2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	115.9 KB 
ID:	339327Click image for larger version. 

Name:	movement 3.jpg 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	339328Click image for larger version. 

Name:	movement 4.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	339329Click image for larger version. 

Name:	movement 5.jpg 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	339330Click image for larger version. 

Name:	movement 6.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	339331Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Top of movement 1.jpg 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	339332

Blog Entries

Default Re: The new watch: My 1774 Gridley Verge Fusee... (By: John in Sweden)

Hi John,

...One thing I have noticed - with several watches so far - they DON'T seem to like it very much if you hold them on about a 70 degree angle (pendant up and dial angling downwards towards the floor) for a while...
    In this position a couple of things may possibly contribute to what you've seen. Firstly, the crown, (or escape), wheel is at the outer end of any endshake which means that its engagement with the verge flags is at a minimum. Secondly, the motion work under the dial tends to want to move away from the pillar plate towards the dial, and if the dial washer is too flat, (or even not there at all), the hour wheel can fall out of engagement with the minute wheel, or the minute wheel can miss the cannon pinion leaves. Both of these circumstances should be checked during testing after overhaul, so in this case I'd be surprised if either was posing any significant problem. Having said that, the position you describe isn't a usual one for a pocket watch being carried in a pocket.

Which leads to the question of how exactly are you wearing the watch when you're at work, and what sort of work are you doing?

Regards,

Graham

"Ut tensio, sic vis" - Robert Hooke

Default Re: The new watch: My 1774 Gridley Verge Fusee... (By: gmorse)

Hi Graham,

Had to read that a couple of times but I think I've understood

I tend to wear the pocket watch in my top shirt pocket - attaching the chain through one of the shirt's button holes... I don't wear a waist coat very often so that is the more typical way I will wear it.

I tend to go everywhere by bicycle here in Sweden (haven't got a Swedish driving license yet - and besides, they drive on the wrong side of the road over here and do everything in reverse lol).

I wear the watch pendant up and dial/crystal in (facing towards me) to protect the crystal in case of disaster.

In terms of work - I really work by telephone/computer only - sitting at my desk - although I tend to work out about 90 minutes a day (sword and core and so on) I put the watch on a stand on a table when I am doing that - never wear a pocket watch when I am working out.

So for most of the day the watch will be in my top shirt pocket and at night on a small acrylic stand that supports it - on the bedside table.

You've got me thinking now - IS it better for the watch to wear it face (dial/crystal) facing outwards rather than inwards ?

Regards,

John.

Quote Originally Posted by gmorse View Post
    Hi John,

In this position a couple of things may possibly contribute to what you've seen. Firstly, the crown, (or escape), wheel is at the outer end of any endshake which means that its engagement with the verge flags is at a minimum. Secondly, the motion work under the dial tends to want to move away from the pillar plate towards the dial, and if the dial washer is too flat, (or even not there at all), the hour wheel can fall out of engagement with the minute wheel, or the minute wheel can miss the cannon pinion leaves. Both of these circumstances should be checked during testing after overhaul, so in this case I'd be surprised if either was posing any significant problem. Having said that, the position you describe isn't a usual one for a pocket watch being carried in a pocket.

Which leads to the question of how exactly are you wearing the watch when you're at work, and what sort of work are you doing?

Regards,

Graham

Blog Entries

Hi John,

Thanks, I just wanted to clarify some things about the environment the watch is experiencing, and I don't think anything you've mentioned will adversely affect it. Wearing it with the crystal facing inwards is sensible. Are the roads where you cycle fairly smooth, or are there still cobbles in places?

Regards,

Graham

"Ut tensio, sic vis" - Robert Hooke

Default Re: The new watch: My 1774 Gridley Verge Fusee... (By: gmorse)

Morning Graham/all,

Just waking up here in Sweden

Re: The roads - yes - we definitely have the old cobbled roads too in places - especially in the old part of town near the castle etc.

(When you ride over them it tends to be bumpy).

Just did the wind for the day a few minutes ago and with the two watches out of my three that are still going (the Gridley and the Barwise) I think the Gridley looks like it gained about 15 seconds over the last wind and the Barwise about a minute...

Apart from that one instance of ''hand slippage'' with the Gridley it seems to have performed perfectly over the last 3 or 4 winds...

Regards,

John.

Quote Originally Posted by gmorse View Post
    Hi John,

Thanks, I just wanted to clarify some things about the environment the watch is experiencing, and I don't think anything you've mentioned will adversely affect it. Wearing it with the crystal facing inwards is sensible. Are the roads where you cycle fairly smooth, or are there still cobbles in places?

Regards,

Graham

PS Credit where credit is due - over the last two days the Gridley seems to have ''settled down'' when it comes to timekeeping - around plus 10-15 seconds per day (checking at the 24 hour point of the wind) and I have to say that for a watch made in 1774 I find that absolutely staggering. Definitely hoping there are no other issues because it truly is a beautiful watch - certainly the nicest *I* have ever owned anyway... There is a definite cycle to it of course - the first 12 hours it may go up to a minute slow (but not more) and then by the end of the wind it is ''plus'' and has gained a few seconds. We'll be doing a 20km bike ride today so it will be interesting to see how the Gridley handles that also...

Another quick update - Graham you'll possibly find this interesting... The watch tends to run faster if I am more active... Yesterday being out and about in the forest and on the bike etc I found that by the end of that wind (when I checked this morning and did my customary wind and setting of the hands) I found that instead of say 15 seconds fast the watch was about 90 seconds fast... So level of activity definitely seems to impact on how these old watches perform. At any rate, the really nice thing is that the ''hand slippage'' issue seems to have been a once off event (touch wood) and the watch is ticking along strongly and well. Just as well really, I've definitely fallen for this watch and can see it being my preferred watch for every day wear An absolutely wonderful thing

John.