Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Opening case on a late model Hamilton 505

This is interesting. I picked up (another) Hamilton 505 on Ebay, and I don't see how one opens the case.

Doesn't appear to be a crease in the back, doesn't have the case opener pads like a Titan, doesn't open like a Savitar. How do you get the movement out?

PS: It works, so someone must have replaced the battery but the PO forgets, maybe the crystal.

Thanks!
    C
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	1424 
Size:	199.4 KB 
ID:	339258   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	253.5 KB 
ID:	339259  

Default Re: Opening case on a late model Hamilton 505 (By: czach)

Looks to come out from under the glass. Try pulling the crown out to the hand set position and give it an experimental further pull. If the stem is a split two piece stem it should come apart. If this does happen and please don't break the stem if it doesn't come apart easily, then you can use the air pressure from a syringe to blow the glass off.

Default Re: Opening case on a late model Hamilton 505 (By: roughbarked)

Hm, pulled the stem, it doesn't feel like it wants to come out further (don't want to break the stem setting screw) and it looks to be a similar stem to my 505 RR special (also same larger hands, etc). Hm.....

Default Re: Opening case on a late model Hamilton 505

OK, do you have the glass removing tool that grabs all the way around the glass? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu9igPfhzbM

Does the glass have a tension ring around inside the glass? If So then simply fit the tool to the glass and hold it rather than squeeze it and slip a case opening knife under the tool and twist it so that it lifts the glass out.

If it doesn't have a tension ring you can squeeze the glass slightly with the tool and it will lift out.
    Last edited by roughbarked; 04-06-2017 at 04:38 PM.

Nope, but it looks like I'm going to be buying one from ebay. $15 tool ok or should I get the $120 Bergeon one?

Default Re: Opening case on a late model Hamilton 505

The Bergeon one will last forever but there aren't many watches made these days that require them so if the $15 unit looks to function the same way, it should do the job once.

If the case is a one piece case, the stem still has to come out somehow. If it isn't a split stem with male female connection then there should be a visible place to press the set lever or lift it, so that the stem can be removed but this probably cannot be seen until the glass is removed. Often if this is the case, after removing the stem, turn the movement in an arc until it can fall out if tipped upside down.

Indeed. I use Bergeon screwdrivers because they never fail me with galled heads or slipping, and I use bergeon oilers for same reason. This though will be a one time thing, so I'll try the Ebay special.

And this 505 runs slow. Which means a worn contact, need to see if it's possible to swap those....

Default Re: Opening case on a late model Hamilton 505 (By: czach)

Got one. Pretty simple actually, crank down, then quarter turn till crystal comes out. I assume you don't leave the crystal compressed in it for awhile, I've just been removing the movement, then putting the crystal in the empty case. Keeps dust out.

Now to figure out why this presentation watch is not working. Different problem :-)