Goal: $300, Received: $360.00 (120%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered user.

Default Re: New/old Seiko wrist watch (By: roughbarked)

Quote Originally Posted by roughbarked View Post
    An annoying thing about quartz chronographs is that when they come in for batteries, the chronograph hand/s are never synchronised. ie: they don't return to their original positions.
    The only way to fix this is to manually return them. Which means removing the movement from the case to do so. In the 7T models, this can be a risky business. In fact if they come in with the stem damaged. Don't try to fix it. Get a new movement. This is probably good advice for quite a few of the modern quartz watches.
    No there is a procedure to reset the hands on these, absolutely no need to pull the movement, lift the hands and reset them, read the instruction manual, basically the crown is pulled to the hand set position, then it's a combination of pressing the A and B buttons to reset the hands, some models need to have the AC cleared after a battery change to make sure the processor is reset, then various combinations of buttons to reset the hands, they are just servo motors and movement needs to know where the hands are, it's not a hardwear setup like on a mechanical chronograph.

For example on the 7T62, pull the crown to the hand set position (second click) press and hold the upper button A for 2 seconds until the seconds recorder turns a full circle of the dial, then use the lower button B to reset the hand, once done then hold button A until the minute recorder hand does a full circle, then use button B to reset it, then set the time and press the crown back in.

Registered user.

That's always been an annoyance of mine, there is no such thing as waterproof, water resistance, I used to service the cases on Seiko sports 100s, a 4 button LCD watch that the surfers would wear year round in the surf, and every two years they come in for a battery and pressure test, by then the push buttons would be frozen or very hard to press in, clean the case and buttons, regrease the seals new battery and watch would be fine for another two years.

A 100 metre watch with a screw crown is fine for daily use and it will resist pressure from a hose, not every 100M watch has screw crowns so care is needed if hosing the garden or washing the car.

Current Rolex owners I find particularly annoying, brainless most them, because they assume, I have an 18ct Rolex President in at the moment, the owner was on a boat trip, went swimming in the onboard pool, watch filled with water, two weeks later he brings it for repair........

Yeah, it's about as bad as you can imagine, the only useable parts are the brass plates, the jewels and hour wheel, every​ steel part is rusted out, the escape and forth wheel pinions are non existent, all the screws, setting etc etc,.

But what does really annoy me is these phone companies declaring their phones are waterproof, yeah only to a metre, do 30 metre and they'll leak, so they are not "waterproof" are they.

Default Re: New/old Seiko wrist watch (By: dAz57)

Quote Originally Posted by dAz57 View Post
    No there is a procedure to reset the hands on these, absolutely no need to pull the movement, lift the hands and reset them, read the instruction manual, basically the crown is pulled to the hand set position, then it's a combination of pressing the A and B buttons to reset the hands, some models need to have the AC cleared after a battery change to make sure the processor is reset, then various combinations of buttons to reset the hands, they are just servo motors and movement needs to know where the hands are, it's not a hardwear setup like on a mechanical chronograph.

For example on the 7T62, pull the crown to the hand set position (second click) press and hold the upper button A for 2 seconds until the seconds recorder turns a full circle of the dial, then use the lower button B to reset the hand, once done then hold button A until the minute recorder hand does a full circle, then use button B to reset it, then set the time and press the crown back in.

You didn't quite grok my comment. Yes, doing button combo things according to instructions gets the hands spinning around but it will always go back to the wrong spot. I didn't mean removing hands but I did mean taking the movement out of the case and manually moving the hands to their correct positions. After which all the fancy button magic does drag the hands back to the correct positions.

I'll be happy for you to tell me a different way but the watchmaker who retired and allowed me to get back to work, used to work at Seiko Service centre and he used to pull his hair out trying to set the hands until he asked his former friends from Seiko. The hands will go back to zero if you push them there with your tweezers. This has to be done every time they get out of synch. It is what has to be done with all these faux chronograph quartz watches.

That's always been an annoyance of mine, there is no such thing as waterproof, water resistance, I used to service the cases on Seiko sports 100s, a 4 button LCD watch that the surfers would wear year round in the surf, and every two years they come in for a battery and pressure test, by then the push buttons would be frozen or very hard to press in, clean the case and buttons, regrease the seals new battery and watch would be fine for another two years.

A 100 metre watch with a screw crown is fine for daily use and it will resist pressure from a hose, not every 100M watch has screw crowns so care is needed if hosing the garden or washing the car.

Current Rolex owners I find particularly annoying, brainless most them, because they assume, I have an 18ct Rolex President in at the moment, the owner was on a boat trip, went swimming in the onboard pool, watch filled with water, two weeks later he brings it for repair........

Yeah, it's about as bad as you can imagine, the only useable parts are the brass plates, the jewels and hour wheel, every​ steel part is rusted out, the escape and forth wheel pinions are non existent, all the screws, setting etc etc,.

But what does really annoy me is these phone companies declaring their phones are waterproof, yeah only to a metre, do 30 metre and they'll leak, so they are not "waterproof" are they.
    I'm going to have to dredge my memory or use google to get the dates but back in the day there was a landmark court case whereby it was proven that even high quality stainless steel is porous and that rubber seals don't last forever so from that moment on which was probably around the time that NASA was preparing to go to the moon. The finding was that the word/s water and proof should not be in the same word or sentence legally. Which is why ever since then the ones who attempt to be legal have always used "water resistant".

Registered user.

Quote Originally Posted by roughbarked View Post
    I'm going to have to dredge my memory or use google to get the dates but back in the day there was a landmark court case whereby it was proven that even high quality stainless steel is porous and that rubber seals don't last forever so from that moment on which was probably around the time that NASA was preparing to go to the moon. The finding was that the word/s water and proof should not be in the same word or sentence legally. Which is why ever since then the ones who attempt to be legal have always used "water resistant".

Yes it was something to do with that, from that point watch manufactures were not allowed to use the term "waterproof" which is why it annoys me when I see phone manufactures advertising their phones as waterproof.

Yes it was something to do with that, from that point watch manufactures were not allowed to use the term "waterproof" which is why it annoys me when I see phone manufactures advertising their phones as waterproof.
    Whilst is is true that there are cameras that are specifically designed to be used underwater, everytime the hatch is opened it needs to be done properly or the camera will get water in it.