Goal: $300, Received: $30.00 (10%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New/old Seiko wrist watch

Afternoon all,
    An old friend returned home the other day. A Seiko wrist watch I purchased in about 1996 and foolishly sold ended up with at the home of my favorite gunsmith. I saw it and it took me a few weeks to remember what it was. He was good enough to sell it to me and it is now in the drawer with several others. I enjoy bells and whistles at times and this one has a few. I think I will enjoy wearing it when I need to dress up a bit. I bought a very nice Caravelle just after Christmas so it must be my year for new time pieces. Anything anyone can tell me about it is appreciated. When I bought it I knew nothing about these things and of course still don't know much. I hope to attach a few photos to this. Thanks.

Rick H.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RIC_0016.jpg 
Views:	1055 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	339256   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RIC_0008.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	186.2 KB 
ID:	339257  

Default Re: New/old Seiko wrist watch (By: f2shooter)

The most important information is printed at the 6 on the dial or on the back of the watch there should be a number xxxx-xxxx.

Looks to be a later quartz model but cannot be sure which Seiko it is wthout being able to read the case number or dial number.

Registered user.

Default Re: New/old Seiko wrist watch (By: roughbarked)

7T?? is all I can make out.

Default Re: New/old Seiko wrist watch (By: dAz57)

A faux quartz dive watch. Dont let it get wet as that 100m rating means you dont want to get within 100 meters of water...

Default Re: New/old Seiko wrist watch (By: MINI)

7T is Seiko's faux chronograph and I agree about the stay 100m away from water comment.

The serial # on this watch is 720466. It also claims to be water resistant to 10 bars and has the number 7T62-OHAO also on the back. I felt bad about not getting a good image on the face at 6 o'clock position until I saw how small it is but it has the same inscription. Dang small, it took a magnifying glass and then I could barely read it. What is a chronograph, in what way does it differentiate from a watch? All the timers and buttons I guess. I bought it at the time because I thought it was really cool but there is no way it will ever go in the water, not on purpose anyway. I have other watches for that kind of thing, mostly those that claim to be water resistant but cost about $25. I don't wear anything like that in a salt water environment. I can tell now that I'll probably always have plenty of watches that I like but may never have a high end watch. I recall having a Tag at one time but someone relieved me of it without permission. Anyway....

Rick H.

Default Re: New/old Seiko wrist watch

Quote Originally Posted by f2shooter View Post
    The serial # on this watch is 720466. It also claims to be water resistant to 10 bars and has the number 7T62-OHAO also on the back. I felt bad about not getting a good image on the face at 6 o'clock position until I saw how small it is but it has the same inscription. Dang small, it took a magnifying glass and then I could barely read it. What is a chronograph, in what way does it differentiate from a watch? All the timers and buttons I guess. I bought it at the time because I thought it was really cool but there is no way it will ever go in the water, not on purpose anyway. I have other watches for that kind of thing, mostly those that claim to be water resistant but cost about $25. I don't wear anything like that in a salt water environment. I can tell now that I'll probably always have plenty of watches that I like but may never have a high end watch. I recall having a Tag at one time but someone relieved me of it without permission. Anyway....

Rick H.
    You don't even need to know what a dictionary is. You only need google or that's what they may or may not have sucked you into believing.

What most people don't comprehend is that a pressure test is another thing to being within a metre from a garden hose.

The commonest response from those who'd never wear it in water when asked but do you wear it in the shower?

was, yes.

The worst was that most didn't comprehend the actual functionality of a screw down crown
    or indeed why it actually had to be screwed down properly.

The mark: 7T62, indicates the movement -
    OHAO, indicates data about the case and band.
    The number at 6 on the dial is actually the dial number but it does incorporate parts of the other numbers mentioned above.

Originally Posted by f2shooter The serial # on this watch is 720466. It also claims to be water resistant to 10 bars and has the number 7T62-OHAO also on the back.
    Last edited by roughbarked; 04-07-2017 at 10:02 AM.

An annoying thing about quartz chronographs is that when they come in for batteries, the chronograph hand/s are never synchronised. ie: they don't return to their original positions.
    The only way to fix this is to manually return them. Which means removing the movement from the case to do so. In the 7T models, this can be a risky business. In fact if they come in with the stem damaged. Don't try to fix it. Get a new movement. This is probably good advice for quite a few of the modern quartz watches.

Blog Entries

I paid a whopping 8 dollars for a water resistant quartz watch, with a screw back case, its been in water often, no problems. And no screw down crown either.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: New/old Seiko wrist watch (By: Kevin W.)

Define, in water and have you opened it to see if water has or has not actually entered?

Blog Entries

No water in, been opened swimming in a pool. And a jacuzzi as well.

Default Re: New/old Seiko wrist watch

Beware that this may not always be the magic you have experienced. Many chemicals take their time breaking down the seals.
    If you do want your watch to remain as from the factory, you should replace all seals on an annual basis if you wish the factory warranty to be read correctly.

If you have a water-resistant watch, and you use your watch frequently around water, take it in annually for a new set of seals. Otherwise, it will start to take on water eventually. Most seals are natural rubber and they will rot out becoming brittle which will cause leaks around the stem and the case back. One way to help destroy the seals of your watch quickly is exposure to soap or soapy water, hand creams and lotions. Keep that kind of material away from your watch because it will accelerate the degradation of the seals.

http://www.selfdefensearmory.com/aboutautomatics.html

and again from above,
    Water, especially coming out of a pressurised nozzle, spells DANGER for any water-resistant watch. The amount of pressure created from something as simple as a nozzle on the end of a hose while washing the car on a Saturday morning can infiltrate a watch stem surprisingly easy even when the crown is screwed down and the seals are in good order. Watches are water- resistant, not water-proof and are engineered and tested under the assumption that it will be under uniform pressure. Water coming out of a high pressure nozzle is not uniform pressure. Frankly, I don't even take my watches into the shower with me and I treat my watches as though they have little or no water-resistant properties. I haven't had a watch go bad since. Before that, anything around water was fair game, and I can't tell you how many water-resistant watches I lost by sticking my arm in a soapy bucket of water while washing cars and constantly spraying them down with a water hose. Within a couple of months, it's dead... in the water, literally speaking. The seals rot from the soap, and again, not much water pressure from a water hose will infiltrate the seal.

Blog Entries

I guess my 8 dollar watch owes me nothing.

Default Re: New/old Seiko wrist watch (By: Kevin W.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin W. View Post
    I guess my 8 dollar watch owes me nothing.
    You could have dropped a $10 note anytime in that time.

Blog Entries

Yes very true Rough, i have a another watch, quartz with a screw down, i wonder how long the seal on the screwdown will hold up. As well i have a Rolex Oyster from 1938, which i will never get near water.