Goal: $300, Received: $80.00 (27%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Collectable wrist watches

Evening all,

I seem to have put together a small collection of watches as they are something that have always intrigued me. While I am in the process of buying my third pocket watch I've also got several wrist watches. There is no method to that madness though and I wonder if there should be. I realize there are many many brands and an endless number of models. What I am looking for in this case is watches that are in decent condition but not the very high end items. Not a Rolex but something much more pedestrian such as Timex or Hamilton or others. I prefer mechanical watches at this point but am not ruling out anything. Tomorrow I'll photograph and post here a Seiko I purchased new in 1996, sold but recently bought it back. It's higher end than what I am talking about here but will be a neat story on its own. Thanks for advice.

Rick H.

Default Re: Collectable wrist watches (By: f2shooter)

Greetings. Congrat's on your growing collection/addiction. The question you ask is difficult to answer because it's quite subjective. If you don't have the book, Complete Price Guide to Watches (Gilbert, Engle, Shugart), you might consider picking up a copy. It doesn't need to be recent for prices, but that's not a bad thing if you can spend the money. I believe that the NAWCC has a link to buy them at the top of the page somewhere.

If you get a book like the "Complete" guide, you can go through and look at movement designs, prices, etc. Maybe a particular design will jump out at you as something you'd like to own and collect? This is what brought me towards buying a few E. Howard & Co. movements. The Series III just screamed "quality" at me. If it looks like prices are in range, search out the web for examples for sale and sold.

Message board rules are that we can't really discuss specific values or current auctions. Therefore, we can't be of much help there, should you require it. The Price Guide should help avoid any large mistakes though.

Anyway, that's what I'd do, if new. Good luck. Cheers.

Default Re: Collectable wrist watches (By: MrRoundel)

Thanks I will see if I can find a copy of that. I realize it is a subjective question but am interested in seeing what others choose and am certain to find many that I've never heard of. As for price I understand the rules there and will not bring that up. I thought it would be fun to find some decent condition older watches from some of the classic makers like Timex and others that work properly and do it without batteries. Not seen all that often now.

Rick H.

Default Re: Collectable wrist watches (By: f2shooter)

Quote Originally Posted by f2shooter View Post
    Thanks I will see if I can find a copy of that. I realize it is a subjective question but am interested in seeing what others choose and am certain to find many that I've never heard of. As for price I understand the rules there and will not bring that up. I thought it would be fun to find some decent condition older watches from some of the classic makers like Timex and others that work properly and do it without batteries. Not seen all that often now.

Rick H.
    What other have to say about the various watches that are shown here could give you some insight. As an example in my experience in repairing watches over about four decades is that until the quartz watch came along, Timex was unrepairable rubbish. After the quartz watch most of the other watches were only as good as Timex. A Timex quartz watch being much the same as any other quartz watch.
    Don't let that stop you from collecting and attempting to repair them if that is your dearest wish because I'd hate to be the one who told you not to.
    Collecting is something you do because you want to.

Default Re: Collectable wrist watches (By: roughbarked)

Watch and wrist watch collecting is a vast area. If you are looking for something neat to look for here are a few of my favorite "Sleepers".

1) Elgin durabalance wrist watches. These were Elgins effort to compete with the Swiss. Very plain finish but technically very interesting. Google "Forgotten masterpeices" This line also included the only US mass produced automatic.

2) Longines Accutron wrist watches especially the chronometer grade ones. These are bit pricier than the Elgins. These were an effort to beat quartz at accuracy and were the only mass produced mechanical watch to have an on the wrst accuracy warrantee, in all grades. Most run at 10 beats per second. Most are really ugly in my view but are superbly made. There are a lot of them.

Also Bulova, Waltham, Illinois, and Hamilton made a lot of very fine watches that go for a pittance. Get to know these and yuo can build a collection of very wearable accurate and nice watches for small money.

Default Re: Collectable wrist watches (By: Dr. Jon)

Correction. The Longine high acccuracy watch and a good item to consider for collecting is the Longines Ultra Chron.

The Accutron was a Bulova tuning fork watch made in many flavors and with a passionately dedicated following.

Default Re: Collectable wrist watches (By: Dr. Jon)

Hi there, i'm a year or so new into watches, kind of in the same boat as you f2shooter..

I've got a couple old timex while not always as accurate as what could be had in a 20$ quartz there are some really cool classic models out to be had for not too much coin.

I'm trying to round out my collection as it's just beginning.. feel like having a number of automatics(seiko, orient.. looking at parnis..) cool/classic vintage(seiko, timex, waltham, dreaming of a dial-o-rama), iconic quartz(gshock, casio f-91..).. been looking to pull the trigger on an accutron the last few months..

Cruise the bay, google iconic watches to lose yourself for some hours and 'complete price guide to watches' is a great thing to have!

Default Re: Collectable wrist watches (By: Bard)

Hi! I'm new in collecting wristwatches, I have a few already like Movado, G-shock (matte edition), Kate spade and gucci vintage.. I'm planning to buy more in the future (I need to fill my bank first lol) It's an expensive venture that is worth taking to be honest. The fullfillment is different.