Goal: $300, Received: $370.00 (124%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default U.S. watch co. Waltham, Mass.

I have been trying to find out as much information as I can on this watch it is a 18s U.S. Watch Co. Waltham,Mass. Serial number 99724. It is housed in a gold filled open face case. It is stem wind and lever set I would like to find out what year and how many were produced any help would be appreciated
    Last edited by Jh10361; 04-05-2017 at 07:44 PM.

Smile Re: U.S. watch co. Waltham, Mass.

Quote Originally Posted by Jh10361 View Post
    I have been trying to find out as much information as I can on this watch it is a 18s U.S. Watch Co. Waltham,Mass. Serial number 99724. It is housed in a gold filled own face case. It is stem wind and lever set I would like to find out what year and how many were produced any help would be appreciated
    Hi Jh10361:

There are no factory serial number vs. grade lists for the U.S. Watch Co. Waltham,Mass. movements, nor are there break-downs of quantity by grade data for most grades. Determining the grades of 18-size movements (except for "The President" grade) is done by comparing the number of jewels, the marking of adjustment, the finish and the damaskeening pattern of the movement to cuts shown in the company's advertising/descriptions.

Thus it would be helpful if you could post pictures of the movement (the "works") and markings stamped inside of the watch case (you can ignore any "hand-scratched" characters, they're watch repairers' marks), the clearer and sharper, the better. Clearness and sharpness is important as differences in makes, watch grades or case material markings can be subtle. Other pictures will help a little, but these are the most important. We may be able to identify it by the shape of the plates.

In trying to open the watch, you might find the information in the Encyclopedia article entitled "How To Open A Pocket Watch Case" useful.

For instructions on posting pictures, see the Global Thread entitled "How to Add a Picture from your PC or Laptop" which is also listed at the top of the forum.

It's also helpful if you can post (i.e., type out) all the markings that are inside of the case and that are on the movement, especially the movement serial number, in case they can't be seen in the picture(s).

Good luck,

Last edited by Kent; 04-05-2017 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Ad 1896 A.C. Becken catalog page
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Default Re: U.S. watch co. Waltham, Mass. (By: Jh10361)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14914401443822050414317.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	577.0 KB 
ID:	339173

- - - Updated - - -

Name:	1491440293918-423247612.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	513.7 KB 
ID:	339174

- - - Updated - - -

Name:	1491440370480-948222883.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	420.1 KB 
ID:	339175

Smile Re: U.S. watch co. Waltham, Mass. (By: Jh10361)

Your watch appears to be a 15-jewel, hunting movement, unadjusted with a gilt finish. The double-sunk dial, patent regulator and top plate/barrel bridge decoration are nice touches that raise it slightly above the grade No. 57.

I think that its a grade which doesn't in the two posted catalog sheets. Nor does it seem to appear in the ads/catalog sheets reproduced in History and Products of the United States Watch Company Waltham, Mass., Greg Frauenhoff, Sedalia, CO, 2003.

Perhaps somebody with more knowledge of USWC products can pin it down better.
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Default Re: U.S. watch co. Waltham, Mass. (By: Kent)

That's already more than I've been able to track down. Thanks for the help

Hi Jim,

The watch is definitely 11 jewel and possibly 15 jewel as it has the company's patent regulator and hairspring. It was made in early 1890s when company was successful.

I would be careful discussing watch grades as there are no published company catalogs except some sheets published by various watch sellers; these advertisements provide little guidance to the subtle differences between the various grades. There were probably 140 - 150 grades and we can only confirm less than 40 % of them.

I have been researching the company since 2004 and am building a database of their watch production, and have published one Bulletin article on the company and awaiting publication of a 2nd article.

Andy Dervan

Default Re: U.S. watch co. Waltham, Mass. (By: Andy Dervan)

Thanks that helps even more. I'm curious as to how rare it could be if I actually ran across a real find for my collection. It's definitely a very attractive watch in any case

Your watch isn't rare but it is a very nice watch. Anytime you see a US Watch Company movement with a beautiful double sunk dial and the type of hands you have on your watch you know it was a much better than run of the mill watch.

That said, your dial certainly has issues and the case your movement is in is almost certainly not the original case. This hurt it in the eyes of some collectors and hurts its market value but doesn't take away from the fact that it was a nice find.
    John Cote
    Watch Collector (pocket & wrist), Clock Admirer, Time Nerd...