Goal: $300, Received: $360.00 (120%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Registered user.
    Blog Entries

Default Decreasing amplitude with increasing winding

Hello!

I'm currently working on an old European trench watch. Unmarked, lever escapement and jewels in the escapement only. It has a blue steel spring that looks to have set and occupies a suspiciously small portion of the barrel.

I've noticed that as I wind the watch fully, amplitude decreases compared to after running for 18 hours. I did peen the barrel bushings with a flat, round stake and used a smooth broach on them. The fit became quite tight and my theory is that as I wind the watch, more and more lateral forces are being applied to the arbor, wedging it I the bushings. The spring is pretty well centered I the barrel but as I suspect it's too short it would mean that more lateral forces are applied. The hook does after all connect to the barrel wall on one side.

Has anyone else have this happen? Do you have any speculations as to what might be causing this?

Best regards
    Karl

Default Re: Decreasing amplitude with increasing winding (By: karlmansson)

Not that, but similar with an American 16s movement with a spring that pushed up against the barrel cover. The tighter it was wound, the worse it ran. As the spring ran down, it began to run better, best was about the middle of the wind.

Registered user.
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Decreasing amplitude with increasing winding (By: ANDY YALE)

Thanks Andy! It does sound like what mine is doing as well. There was a very substantial endshake in the barrel and I adjusted it by flattening the barrel lid. I'm starting to think that it's the spring that is the problem. I have some springs that are a couple of hundreds lower but a little thicker that I'll try out. I'll have a look at the barrel lid again too. Maybe I got a little carried away with decreasing end shake.