Goal: $300, Received: $215.00 (72%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Curious if Anybody Here Knew John B. McLemore?

McLemore is the subject of a recent and extremely popular podcast headed by Brian Reed. He is described as a brilliant horologist.
    They named the podcast "S-Town", which was the polite description of McLemore's term for his home- Woodstock, Alabama. He was known for being fierce in his opinions, his attitude of doom, his fascinating subjects, his heartfelt compassion for others... and his awe-striking abilities to cuss. He was described as a genius clock maker- capable of extremely advanced restorations. (And a genius at just about everything that captured his interest.)

If you haven't listened to it, I do recommend. And if anybody has any stories about having come across John B, I'd love to see them here.

Default Re: Curious if Anybody Here Knew John B. McLemore? (By: LittleSister)

I don't believe I knew him, but I have heard of him and his clock genius.

Ralph

Blog Entries

Default Re: Curious if Anybody Here Knew John B. McLemore? (By: Ralph)

Is there a link to this, would be interested to hear it.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: Curious if Anybody Here Knew John B. McLemore? (By: Kevin W.)

Default Re: Curious if Anybody Here Knew John B. McLemore?

The podcast is well done, and will hold your attention throughout. It is quite disturbing, however, especially the last couple of episodes, so be prepared.
    NAWCC 25131

Default Re: Curious if Anybody Here Knew John B. McLemore? (By: Peter A. Nunes)

Agreed. Disturbing and haunting.

Blog Entries

Can you let e know what is disturbing about it Peter.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: Curious if Anybody Here Knew John B. McLemore? (By: Kevin W.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin W. View Post
    Can you let e know what is disturbing about it Peter.
    I was feeling disturbed from the explanation about defining the region. I'm simply happy that I don't live there.

Default Re: Curious if Anybody Here Knew John B. McLemore? (By: roughbarked)

love the description of the maze though.

There's photos around that show his maze.

(**Spoiler warnings**)
    For me- the disturbing element had to do with John's mental and emotional decline. I had never heard of fire-gilding, or mercury-gilding. So I only know what Brian Reed says about it in the podcast.
    He refers to it as a way of applying a layer of gold on to clock parts. A method that has a history going back hundreds of years. John wanted to be true to a lot of traditional clock methods, and he used this one since his teens.
    The podcast also talks about similar methods that were once used for felting hats. It is how the term "mad hatter" came about. The description of mercury poisoning seems to match well with what John was going through.

The other disturbing thing was a person that was put in charge of a funeral, but had no regard for the wishes of the dead. No representation of who they were in life at the funeral, no respect for their possessions or even their remains. Not even a headstone. This person took over and just allowed no dignity at all for someone's memory. To me, that person was obnoxious and creepy.
    But- I think that there are different things that will be even more disturbing to different people- depending on your background. The racism and misogyny is of course disturbing. But I'm from a southern state, and I had no doubt that it would show up in the story. Brian Reed had never encountered it before and the shock he felt when he heard it was kind of refreshing- in a weird way. I guess I'm so used to knowing people that are already prepared for dealing with it.

(At the end there- I should have said that Brian Reed had never encountered racism so casually expressed. He has certainly encountered racism before, but not the way it is served in that region.)

Mr. Mclemore was supposed to be an accomplished horologist and very well known clockmaker. Has anyone ever heard of him...other than fromt he podcast?
    Jeffrey P. Hess, collector, historian, writer, CEO Ball WATCH USA

Default Re: Curious if Anybody Here Knew John B. McLemore? (By: Jeff Hess)

was he a member of the NAWCC

Rob

Default Re: Curious if Anybody Here Knew John B. McLemore?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hess View Post
    Mr. Mclemore was supposed to be an accomplished horologist and very well known clockmaker. Has anyone ever heard of him...other than fromt he podcast?

Yes, I was well aware of him. He flew pretty much under the radar, but was well known among a certain group of collectors.
    NAWCC 25131