Goal: $300, Received: $30.00 (10%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Italian Navy Lemania

I really did not know were to post this it could be used for navigation or as a clock or mite be considered a pocket watch. Been trying to do a deal on this for a few months had a forum member from another forum who's in Italy call and check the seller out and felt it was a fair deal should get it in a few weeks if every thing goes right. Been wanting to get a naval time piece from every Navy allied and axis from WW2 only one left is England. This is rare only ever seen a few for sell if any one here can give me more info on it would be great not much on line except ones that sold at auction and the info different and price value different on each auction hoping it's from WW2. One thing different is other ones I seen on line for sale had B.C.G. under the Lemania logo on the dial this one don't. Any one know what B.C.G. stands for.

Last edited by River rat; 04-04-2017 at 10:46 AM.

Default Re: Italian Navy Lemania

While searching the net for more info on this I found this link on a French Navy issued watch made by Auricoste with the same Lemania movement.
    http://ninanet.net/watches/others12/Mediums/mdecks.html

Default Re: Italian Navy Lemania (By: River rat)

Let us imagine a scenario, commissioned by the British Consular General. If there was such a circumstance.

Quote Originally Posted by roughbarked View Post
    Let us imagine a scenario, commissioned by the British Consular General. If there was such a circumstance.
    One that sold a Bonhams auction but with out outer case.
    https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/17938/lot/36/

I posted it over at the German military watch forum were there is a Italian military watch section but that forum king of slow these days. Did do a search and found one like mine. Here is the info I found.

IIM in its nature is similar to the US Naval Observatory or other institutions and among their tasks there is the delivery of calibrated watches and clocks to military ships unfortunately not in redundant quantities but rather in very limited number therefore their rarity...
    And also it movement caliber LEMANIA 1520

And from a Military watch book it said Istituto Idrografiico della Marina stands for Navy Hydrographical Institute.

I guess these are rare since not many produced. Any one got any more info that's why I posted it here and why I am a NAWCC member joined it to learn.
    Last edited by River rat; 04-13-2017 at 06:08 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by River rat View Post
    While searching the net for more info on this I found this link on a French Navy issued watch made by Auricoste with the same Lemania movement.
    http://ninanet.net/watches/others12/Mediums/mdecks.html
    I recall reading several years ago that the U.S. Navy ordered it's first Torpedo Boat watches from Auricoste. I have a couple of fragments of timers signed Auricoste. I would like to know more about their story.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Here is a interesting link wish I could read it it's in German.
    http://www.vintage-time.de/index.php...-R-MARINA/?l=2
    Last edited by River rat; 04-15-2017 at 03:32 PM.

Blog Entries

I use the Chrome browser and when I visit a site in a language I do not read, I click on the symbol that shows up on the right of the address field and Google translates it into English. I tried Edge, Firefox and Opera also and none of them showed the translate function. I think you can go to Google/translate in any browser and enter the name of the site you want to translate but I have not checked that.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers

Default Re: Italian Navy Lemania (By: Tom McIntyre)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom McIntyre View Post
    I use the Chrome browser and when I visit a site in a language I do not read, I click on the symbol that shows up on the right of the address field and Google translates it into English. I tried Edge, Firefox and Opera also and none of them showed the translate function. I think you can go to Google/translate in any browser and enter the name of the site you want to translate but I have not checked that.
    Here you go
    https://translate.google.com/transla...AFICO-R-MARINA

Have any one ever had clearance hold from FedEx because they goofed on the value. Any thing over 2500 needs some code like the seller a dealer or the buyers social security number plus jewel count, type of movement mechanical or battery operated and case type and country made and brand. This put it in customs hold
    Needing Importer EIN for a Company or SSN for individual due to the value being over 2500 USD

Once I called FedEx let them know the value was lower . So had to tell them jewel count there's no info on the net about jewel count I did a guess then value of movement and case then they released it from customs jail. Should get delivered tomorrow any one else ever go through some thing like this. There was no way I was telling them my social security number.

Blog Entries

In my opinion FedEx engages in deceptive business packages with respect to their relationship with the U.S. Customs Service. They remove packages that are clearly marked to not require customs inspection. They then demand additional documentation and send the package to Customs for inspection. As often as not the person at customs is able to read and returns the package without action. FedEx then charges you for the service they have just performed which was not required or wanted.

Most people just pay and charge it as an educational expense.

The U.S. Postal Service cooperating agents such Royal Mail are much more reliable despite all the advertising the commercial shippers run to the contrary.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers

Tom your right using another country's local mail were it is transferred to USPS after it reaches the USA is better never had a problem mite stay in customs longer but gets released with out me having to do any thing. But the stories I heard about Italian mail system were stuff disappears is why I went FedEx. One time years ago I bought a new watch from Stowa in Germany they ship FedEx after I received the watch I get a tax bill from FedEx never used them since if I could help it.

Well received it today it's in great shape all most perfect condition.

This movement shot was the sellers did not want to scratch the case.

Blog Entries

It is interesting that the center second is driven from the 4th wheel and idler rather than directly from the 3rd wheel. That is the second example of this design I have seen the last week. I wonder if they thought that way was better, or just could not do the calculation for the big wheel and pinion?
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers