Goal: $300, Received: $370.00 (124%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Great buy for the cheep buyer like me, Elgin grade 112 (By: musicguy)

Nice finds! I've been doing the same with Elgin 6s movements, and gathering tools, etc. Now, all I need is an empty case to put one in Really fond of those roman numeral faces. Do you think you're addicted yet?

Default Re: Great buy for the cheep buyer like me, Elgin grade 112 (By: musicguy)

I have about 50 WW2 A11's 6/0 8/0's from Bulova, Waltham and Elgin and a few 3/0's WW1 period waiting to be tended to. There are a lot of reasonably priced smaller watches that you can still find parts for.

Default Re: Great buy for the cheep buyer like me, Elgin grade 112 (By: Firegriff)

Do you think you're addicted yet?
    yes, i think I may need rehab

I have about 50 WW2 A11's 6/0 8/0's from
    Bulova, Waltham and Elgin and a few 3/0's WW1
    period waiting to be tended to. There are a lot of
    reasonably priced smaller watches that you
    can still find parts for.
    I really like those black dials, post a few photos if you can.

These small watches are a great way to collect quality
    without spending too much money. Most of my watches are 18s or 16s
    but these 12s, 6s, and 0s are easy to find.

For me the whole
    process is great.

1) researching the watches I like(old adverts, catalogs, and databases)
    2) searching for particular watches on ebay, or just finding one
    3) winning and losing auctions
    4) waiting for watches to be delivered
    5) bringing a watch back to life
    6) using the watches as watches
    7) sharing what you found with others
    8) taking photos of them, and admiring the craftsmanship and history
    and much more

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by musicguy View Post
    These small watches are a great way to collect quality
    without spending too much money. Most of my watches are 18s or 16s
    but these 12s, 6s, and 0s are easy to find.
    Rob, as a new collector myself (well, I always liked pocket watches, but I finally was bitten by the bug) you have a great point. I never really thought about anything but the 18s. The 12s, 6s and )s I will need to start looking for especially if I can collect quality without spending too much $$. Thanks for sharing this wit us.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Great buy for the cheep buyer like me, Elgin grade 112

It can really be fun looking for these small watches.

I attended an NAWCC regional meeting in Kansas City back in the early 1980's where Bill Meggers gave a talk on "Small Wonders" describing the 12 (and 13) size watches from Illinois and mentioned the other companies such as Hamilton, Elgin Waltham and Rockford also had high grade 12 size watches. He also remarked that he had become fascinated by them 10 or 12 years earlier and had been collecting them for "investment." His conclusion was that they were remarkable and wonderfully made and the price had not budged a bit in the 10 years he had been preaching about them.

With the exception of the Elgin Hulburd, the Hamilton Masterpiece and some of the Waltham Maximus and Bridge models, that observation remains pretty much true today. There are certainly no better watches to be had at the prices they sell for. When new they sold for more than the top of the line railroad watches from the same companies.
    I have been cataloging mine the last week or so and have just finished the Illinois examples. I will try to post them in another thread. The models and grades I have been looking for are the 299, 410, 510 and Illini in 12 size; the 437, 438 and 439 model 1 Extra Thin 12 size; and the 528, 538 and 539 13 size Illini. Some of those were made in small enough quantities that they can be hard to find.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Well, darn, now the secret is out

I did just pick up my first 18s. No way that is going to fit in my jeans watch pocket, though!

While many of the women's watch cases are...shall we say...not quite my preferred style of aesthetic expression most are mind-boggling beautiful. The craftsmanship just makes me sit and ponder the way of things then and now.

I am so thankful for these plentiful movements with interchangable parts.

Watchmaking, I find, is the most difficult, demanding, expensive, and daunting hobby I have ever undertaken--or heard of. That's a good thing, I feel.

But the availability, parts compatibility, and parts availability of these little watches has made the way forward a little less steep for sure.

Demanding of the greatest level of patience, I look forward to the feeling, one day, of relying on the first pocket watch I have brought back into good running condition.

Default Re: Great buy for the cheep buyer like me, Elgin grade 112 (By: azkid)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4972 (2).jpg