Goal: $300, Received: $30.00 (10%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What to do if you lose a screw (NO JOKES) (By: Accutronica)

Quote Originally Posted by Accutronica View Post
    That's a good idea! Thanks.

Robert
    The magnet first. It would want to be a cleaner room than mine to find anything if the vacuum was filtered that finely.

Default Re: What to do if you lose a screw (NO JOKES) (By: Time2Fish)

Quote Originally Posted by Time2Fish View Post
    I know that on ebay I can purchase 1 screw at a time for a phenomenal cost. Is there somewhere I can purchase all of the screws for the movement or where I can purchase watch screws in bulk and match the lost screw?
    I feel the same way - I paid $5 for a screw and didn't like that much. But I was grateful to get it. I now have umpteen thousands of ww and pw screws, some so small you can barely see them. I wasn't going to say anything because you will be another person that might be bidding against me. But I'm a nice guy and can't help it and I already have more screws than I could ever need. So look for screw loads that come from retired/deceased watchmakers. And only bid on ones that have plenty of good photos so you can see what they look like. The phony sellers will have blurry photos.

Robert

If you buy an assortment of screws, this is what you will get. If you buy an assortment of dial screws, you'd be wise to know it it was for pocket watches or wrist watches.

I actually found the screw. Got on my hands and knees on the floor with a small magnet and did a sweep of about a 4 foot x 6 foot area. When finished I looked at the magnet and there it was. I can't believe how small that screw was. Looked like a silver spec on the magnet.

Default Re: What to do if you lose a screw (NO JOKES) (By: Time2Fish)

Quote Originally Posted by Time2Fish View Post
    I actually found the screw. Got on my hands and knees on the floor with a small magnet and did a sweep of about a 4 foot x 6 foot area. When finished I looked at the magnet and there it was. I can't believe how small that screw was. Looked like a silver spec on the magnet.
    I'm glad you found it. I would still look for some good screws when you can. I have all kinds and types of screws.

Last night I had a 214 train bridge screw in the tip of some self-closing tweezers so I could measure it. It said, "fling", and took off. I could feel my heart sink! Luckily I found it pretty quick and was glad I didn't have to scour through my screws looking for another one.
    I now press the screws into a flattened piece of Rodico to hold them better whilst I take my measurements.

I wonder if 218 has similar/same screw assortments. Or most same... Junker movements might be cheaper. 218s are nice. I love the Accutrons and I hate the Accutrons. Fun watches to have and listen to. But finicky. I wish they made the paws/fingers bigger. More robust.

RJ

Default Re: What to do if you lose a screw (NO JOKES) (By: RJSoftware)

Quote Originally Posted by RJSoftware View Post
    I wonder if 218 has similar/same screw assortments. Or most same... Junker movements might be cheaper. 218s are nice. I love the Accutrons and I hate the Accutrons. Fun watches to have and listen to. But finicky. I wish they made the paws/fingers bigger. More robust.

RJ
    I don't know yet, I'm still studying the 214 right now. After I'm finished with the 214 I'll start on my 2182. The index/pawl jewels are very small but nothing a good microscope can't handle. If they were easy to work on then everybody would do it.