Goal: $300, Received: $115.00 (38%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Watch brands recommended for novice (By: Kevin W.)

One piece of good advice(that I've read) is to buy a working watch
    so that when you put it back together, you know it should work
    if you did everything right.

Rob

Thanks. That is what I was asking. Not sure if the two I have in mind are whole or together but for the cost I won't cry if it is a waste but I am hoping to get an understanding of how everything works. Obviously would like it to be complete though. Is there a store in Quebec that you deal with for tools or a place you can recommend for tools

eBay is a fabulous resource for "sacrificial lambs" to learn on, though. Find a big lot of ladies' watches that are going cheap (make sure they have known brands in them, see below), buy them, and if you utterly destroy one, throw it away.

I forgot to add another line this morning. Don't get either Timex watches or dollar watches to learn with. Most Timex pieces are riveted together, and will not come apart. Dollar watches are cheaply made and it is really, really challenging to get them to run right at all. Start with decent, jeweled movements. The list of manufacturers I gave earlier is by no means complete, but steer clear of no-jewel watches to learn with. I don't believe I ever spent over $10US on a Bulova 5AD (fifteen to 21 jewels), except for the two that have actual diamonds in the case. I probably have twenty of the 5-series Bulovase all told, and way over 100 watches for experimenting and learning and parts. (Hmm, how does this dial-foot soldering machine work? Oops! Well, it was a sacrificial lamb, anyway...) I've only gotten maybe ten watches from someplace other than eBay.

Glen

Default Re: Watch brands recommended for novice (By: PierceArrow)

Quote Originally Posted by PierceArrow View Post
    I do see a lot of pocket watches up for grabs lately at estate auctions. If I want to make the switch to watches later would that be possible. What I am saying is are the movements the same. Some pocket watches are under $10 CAD
    The CSOW course recommends starting with a Waltham/Elgin 16s 3/4 plate movement.

Robert

Default Re: Watch brands recommended for novice (By: Accutronica)

Quote Originally Posted by Accutronica View Post
    The CSOW course recommends starting with a Waltham/Elgin 16s 3/4 plate movement.

Robert
    Yup. If you want to choose a larger watch to learn with, either of those would be grand. At least seven jewels, the more the merrier. Jewels keep you from running into wallowed-out pivot holes, and make it easier to tell when you really have the hole clean. One disadvantage is that they're danged expensive relative to wristwatches from the same manufacturers. A pocket watch is also going to be a LOT more robust, and a LOT more resistant to oopses. You still have to be danged careful with the hairspring, but even they are more forgiving. As I said, I chose to start with itty-bitties. Most other people aren't going to be that insane!

Glen

Default Re: Watch brands recommended for novice (By: glenhead)

As much as I like Walthams, I think that Elgin would be better to start working on, when considering watches from the two big names. I say this purely because of the shipper/setting spring that is used by Waltham take some getting used to. They tend to fly into oblivion easier than the type that Elgin uses. Some Walthams, like '83 models aren't so bad, but they are full-plate and present their own challenges for the newbie. I'd recommend 16s 3/4 plate or bridge model of some sort, as they'll be easier to take apart and put back together without breaking pivots and jewels.

To find out what that all means, as well as checking out watches as collectibles, you should probably get a copy of the Complete Price Guide to Watches, by Gilbert, Engles, and Shugart. It's a great place to start the learning process for nomenclature and values.

After you do a few 16s and/or 12s pocket watches, you should be able to transition to larger wrist watches, providing you have the patience and good tools, screwdrivers and tweezers in particular. It's a great hobby. It's relatively clean, and your collectibles take up little space. Good luck.

Default Re: Watch brands recommended for novice (By: MrRoundel)

Quote Originally Posted by MrRoundel View Post
    It's a great hobby. It's relatively clean, and your collectibles take up little space. Good luck.
    I think, "It's a great hobby.", deserves it's own exclamation point. It's a great hobby! It's becoming my favorite hobby.

Robert

Blog Entries

Default Re: Watch brands recommended for novice (By: Accutronica)

I recomend getting good tweezers, and practice picking up tiny screws and parts. I also think its better to get non runners to practice on, why break pivots on a running watch. Learn how to asseble and take apart without breaking. Then do a running watch.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/