Goal: $300, Received: $115.00 (38%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Not exactly earth shattering, I suppose...

This may be an instance of the dim finding out about what is obvious to everyone else. Be that as it may.

I came across this little 30 hour wooden works in my travels.

When I saw it, I assumed it was a Charles Stratton. Stratton was a maker/assembler in Holden, MA. He apparently made some interesting cases. These cases were used by others, including I believe Daniel Pratt and some others. I do seek out clocks with MA labels.

Well, it is a clock from Holden MA, but the maker on the label is Jason R. Rawson. I think of him as a VT maker (Athens and Saxton's River). He also used cases made by/similar to Dutton's including those with the triangular columns and splat.

See this article in the Bulletin: http://docs.nawcc.org/Bulletins/1970...84/184_420.pdf

It's a nice article by James Gibbs about VT clock making. See page 429.

I checked a few other sources and on line. Yes, I did find a couple of clocks he made while still in Holden, MA. However, in general, not much about him and really nothing about his activities before appearing in VT about 1840.

News to me, maybe not others. I've posted a pic of the label printer's credit.

Also raises some interesting questions about guys like Stratton, Dutton. I wonder if most of their business was really supplying cases to other makers/assemblers in the more then remote regions like central MA, VT and NH? These people could buy the components and have a sort of basic operation where they just put things together and then sold them. It avoided a need for a production operation? Some of these guys managed to be rather prolific.

Anyhow.

I've also included, as per routine, something completely superfluous and unnecessary.

It's a folk art ship diorama of a ship called the "J. Morton". Note the little banner made of cut and layered paper.

Most of these ship diorama's are generic. The ship if often not identified or even identifiable. Some of them have a painted scene in the back ground. There are times when it is a known location or harbor. Other times, not.

However, this is a well documented ship.

Thomaston, ME was a major center for ship building from the late 18th century to around the time of the Civil War when this activity began to decline.

Joshua Morton ran a ship yard in Thomaston from 1826-1856. On line I found a map of Thomaston from I believe was either 1855 or 1856 and there is his ship yard. He produced quite a few ships according to the records I have. It appears that one of the last ones he built he named after himself, the "J. Morton".

He owned and operated the ship with his son, Charles C. Morton, until 1863. It was then sold to a foreign owner. I have copies of registrations of the ship from the Ports of NYC and New Orleans. The registrations stop in 1863 as it was no longer sailing under an American flag.

A previous owner had fastidiously transcribed notices and announcements about the ship found in period newspapers which was kept with the diorama. This ship got around!

A real bit of NE maritime history.

RM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rawson 1.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	403.5 KB 
ID:	338876   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rawson 3.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	610.2 KB 
ID:	338877   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rawson 2.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	552.3 KB 
ID:	338878   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	J. Morton 1.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	597.0 KB 
ID:	338879   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	J. Morton 3.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	481.7 KB 
ID:	338880  

Default Re: Not exactly earth shattering, I suppose... (By: rmarkowitz1_cee4a1)

RM,

Thanks for sharing your latest clock! It has a very unusual label variant- one I have never seen before. I love to see and learn about new clock 'things'!

Also, I really like your ship diorama. Very charming and very antique. I well remember seeing just one of these previously, but it was a bit strange. While the ship was pictured in full sail and with the sails fully wind-filled, the flags on the masts were fluttering happily in the opposite direction! A major oversight on the part of the artist. Otherwise, the colors and presentation of the diorama was quite nice, but it was WAY out of my price range- the asking price was $5500.00!

Best to All,

George Nelson

Default Re: Not exactly earth shattering, I suppose... (By: George Nelson)

Quote Originally Posted by George Nelson View Post
    RM,

Thanks for sharing your latest clock! It has a very unusual label variant- one I have never seen before. I love to see and learn about new clock 'things'!

Also, I really like your ship diorama. Very charming and very antique. I well remember seeing just one of these previously, but it was a bit strange. While the ship was pictured in full sail and with the sails fully wind-filled, the flags on the masts were fluttering happily in the opposite direction! A major oversight on the part of the artist. Otherwise, the colors and presentation of the diorama was quite nice, but it was WAY out of my price range- the asking price was $5500.00!

Best to All,

George Nelson
    Thanks for your kind comments.

Yes, the flags and pennants on this diorama are in the proper direction.

In fact, on many of the dioramas and even ship paintings, the flags and pennants are shown streaming towards the back of the ship even though the wind is filling the sails and pushing the ship forward. This was done by artists whose rendering of ships, often for the owners of them, were quite accurate. I think it was felt to be more dramatic and showed the flags and pennants which identified the ship and/or owners more effectively??

Here's an example by Antonio Jacobson, a prolific and important ship painter:

RM

Another beautiful image! I think that the picture with the flags 'flying backwards' is more along the lines of what people think is correct, don't you? With the flags flying against the wind, the impression of forward motion is more easily perceived... RM, do you also collect ship images like these in this discussion?

George

Default Re: Not exactly earth shattering, I suppose...

Another beautiful image! I think that the picture with the flags 'flying backwards' is more along the lines of what people think is correct, don't you? With the flags flying against the wind, the impression of forward motion is more easily perceived... RM, do you also collect ship images like these in this discussion?

George
    Yes, I think you're correct about the FFB's ("flags flying backwards").

I don't have the financial wherewithal nor wall space for paintings like the Jacobsen I attached to my last posting. Wish I did.

The dioramas are sort of entry to middle level marine art but they too can be quite pricey.

Maritime paintings are very much a part of horology. Recall that many clocks, especially banjo clocks, as well as elements of tall case clock dials may include images of ships or of famous naval engagements. Some tall case dials have "rocking ships" in the lunette about the dial to add animation.

You will find examples scattered all over the MB including a recently discussed wonderful inlaid Baltimore tall case clock.

RM

Thanks for the additional details, RM. Your knowledge and experience with practically everything is most appreciated!

George Nelson

Default Re: Not exactly earth shattering, I suppose... (By: George Nelson)

The boat is "close hauled" (the sheets and sails pulled in close) and it is beating to windward. Based on the set of the sails the wind direction is from the starboard front quarter - as if it is coming from about 2 o'clock on a clock dial. So the sails - while not exactly correct - are pointing approximately correctly. They should be flying a bit more to port (towards the viewer in the image) than straight away, but they would only be flying totally forward if the boat was running down wind.

George
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - The Great One

Registered user.

Default Re: Not exactly earth shattering, I suppose... (By: THTanner)

It might be more of a broad reach. It would be more forward
    motion.
    Still the flags would be towards the viewer.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: Not exactly earth shattering, I suppose... (By: Tinker Dwight)

That might be a close reach - but it is pretty close hauled for a gaff rigged schooner - and, yes, the flags would be coming more out of the image toward the viewer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker Dwight View Post
    It might be more of a broad reach. It would be more forward
    motion.
    Still the flags would be towards the viewer.
    Tinker Dwight

I believe that the model of the J.Morton is basically accurate as I do believe it to have been made by someone who served upon her...or owned her or helped to build her (eg, a carpenter who had scraps to use), etc and so on. But I don't think I would get too hung up about the precise direction of the flags and banners. In person, they actually do angle out some towards the viewer. They are positioned reasonably accurately AND easily seen by anyone looking at it as it hangs up on the wall. Along with the billow and direction of the sails and the slight tilt of the ship, it really gives a sense of motion. I think well done. A bit crude, not a polished model as might have been made by a professional for an owner or ship designer. But that's folk art and part of its charm for me.

The diorama came with extensive notes and documentation (and it was good real research, too; how nice I got an excellent jump start), including a summary prepared by someone to who came to own it through direct descent in the family of the person whom, by family legend, made the model whilst serving on the ship as it's master. The previous owner's motivation was to definitively establish his I believe great grandfather as it's master. He found out a tremendous amount about the ship that's true. He could never really achieve his ultimate goal...and so far neither can I. His ancestor may have made it, but he was never in charge of this ship. The documents I have clearly indicate someone else. However, he could have been a seaman. Or, it may have been given to him.

When I have time, I will pick up the thread.

RM

I love the image - and those boats were wonderful - it is common to show the flags full face regardless of accuracy

Blog Entries

Default Re: Not exactly earth shattering, I suppose... (By: THTanner)

Getting back to clocks...

Thanks RM for the pictures of your Jason R. Rawson clock that you think was made by Charles Stratton. I have a nearly identical Charles Stratton that you can see here: http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?1...en-myself-into

When I purchased it, it came without the top, so I recreated something I thought would be typical after looking at lots of samples, but not of this clock. But, the one on your clock is much simpler. Do you suppose that your clock has the original top? Would Stratton have made different tops for essentially the same model case? Any info or thoughts will be appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	primary.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	495.1 KB 
ID:	339243

Thanks,
    Tom

Default Re: Not exactly earth shattering, I suppose...

Quote Originally Posted by gleber View Post
    Getting back to clocks...

Thanks RM for the pictures of your Jason R. Rawson clock that you think was made by Charles Stratton. I have a nearly identical Charles Stratton that you can see here: http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?1...en-myself-into

When I purchased it, it came without the top, so I recreated something I thought would be typical after looking at lots of samples, but not of this clock. But, the one on your clock is much simpler. Do you suppose that your clock has the original top? Would Stratton have made different tops for essentially the same model case? Any info or thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom
    Hi.

Yes, I am quite comfortable with the splat, chimney's and returns being original to my clock.

I've attached a pic of the back of the top.

I seem to remember seeing other examples of my splat on line.

Yes, different tops were made. I've seen an example with a simple bevel molded cornice as well.

By the way, the pendulum it came with is like the one someone showed on your thread. I think it's a typical one.

RM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rawson 4.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	358.9 KB 
ID:	339252  

Jason Rawson sounds familiar, and I might have a few images of other clocks by him. Say the word and I'll see if I can dig them up (if I have any). They're on another computer, otherwise I'd just check now.

Default Re: Not exactly earth shattering, I suppose... (By: Sooth)

Quote Originally Posted by Sooth View Post
    Jason Rawson sounds familiar, and I might have a few images of other clocks by him. Say the word and I'll see if I can dig them up (if I have any). They're on another computer, otherwise I'd just check now.
    "Word".

RM