Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: William Post on London Bridge mid 18th century bracket clock

Sort of hypotonic? You could watch that go back and forth for hours..LOL

Its very nice and watch the case is cleaned up will look magnificent.

I do like the fact he was working on London Bridge as well.

Cheers
    Dean

Default Re: William Post on London Bridge mid 18th century bracket clock (By: DeanT)

Quote Originally Posted by DeanT View Post
    Sort of hypotonic? You could watch that go back and forth for hours..LOL

Its very nice and watch the case is cleaned up will look magnificent.

I do like the fact he was working on London Bridge as well.

Cheers
    Dean
    It is still running and I think Matthew is getting used to it so it may be allowed to return to this position. I adore it and it is right by my chair.

When it returns the case will look spectacular, and I am hoping it will sound a bit quieter because I will have the sound frets backed with timber and the hole in the door fixed. The clock repairer may be able to help a bit by adjusting the clearances on the verge and crown wheel.

I shall forever be indebted to you for finding it for me.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Default Re: William Post on London Bridge mid 18th century bracket clock (By: novicetimekeeper)

It's really beautiful, Nick! If you deem it too noisy after it returns, you can always resort to using earplugs
    Which size is the front shield?

Aitor
    It's all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever. Steiner

Default Re: William Post on London Bridge mid 18th century bracket clock (By: ballistarius)

The clock is around 500mm high, the dial is 180mm wide by 250 high.

Default Re: William Post on London Bridge mid 18th century bracket clock (By: novicetimekeeper)

Many thanks, Nick.
    I am never good gauging the real size of clocks if I don't own any of the type. When I saw the 'in context' pic you posted, I thought 'it isn't so big as I thought bracket clocks were'. I thought mi Austrian bracket movement was rather small, but the dial is 22 cm high and 16.2 cm wide, not much smaller.
    If you are going to send movement and case separately to be restored, could you, please, post some pics of the empty case?
    I too have a couple of cases and movements being currently restored, and more waiting their turn. It's lke a black hole that swallows money and you can't stop buying new ones in spite of having run out os space long ago...LOL

Aitor
    It's all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever. Steiner

Default Re: William Post on London Bridge mid 18th century bracket clock (By: ballistarius)

I will ask the clock repairer to take some pics. The whole thing will go to him and he will split it. I usually do the dials myself but that might be a bit of a logistical nightmare as we all live some distance apart so it might be left to him.

I have run out of space too and need to start saving again as my clock fund has gone into arrears, but will no doubt be at it again soon.

Default Re: William Post on London Bridge mid 18th century bracket clock

Went to visit him today. There is an issue with the verge as the pallets only just engage with the crownwheel. The backcock will be thinned down and an apron fitted, the bushing on the front plate counterbored to shift the arbour.

The dial has cleaned up very well, should have taken a pic, will ask for one.

Took 3 sets of hands to decide on a replacement minute hand.

Have selected best option which will be hand carved, tapered in thickness, fettled and blued.

Collected case to take to cabinet maker a week on Monday.

Saw the damage that fitting a steel hawser to a fusee clock can do, awful things, will be changed to gut. The case is full of brass dust and one plate has a groove worn in it.

Here were the hand choices, favoured the middle one but the boss was a bit small, going with the one on the right reduced by fettling to make a finer looking hand.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0133.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	344290  
    Last edited by novicetimekeeper; 05-20-2017 at 08:06 AM.

Nice to hear an update Nick, cant wait to see it when its all done!

Default Re: William Post on London Bridge mid 18th century bracket clock (By: ClipClock)

Hi Sally,

I should have taken some pics to show the dial and the wear to the inside of the plate caused by the steel hawser. It will look great when done but like all my clocks needs more work than first thought.

I will take some pics of the case today, decisions must be made about that too. We think the feet may be later, and that it originally had wooden pads, you can see witness marks under the feet. There is some shrinkage cracking and bowing of the thick ebony veneers, but otherwise just needs a bit of a spruce up.

Do you plan to do anything about the veneer or just secure it? I'm interested as that fusee clock I just completed, although younger than yours, has some veneer shrinkage. Its well attached though, and not too bad, so I'm not planning to do anything about it I dont think

I'm also interested in the steel damage (I assume you mean the fusee wire?). Again that clock I just did had one gut one (broken) and one steel. I opted to replace with two new gut as I'm sure thats what it originally had. Sounds like I made the right decision!

Look forward to seeing the dial

Default Re: William Post on London Bridge mid 18th century bracket clock (By: ClipClock)

Yes, the steel wire, I hate it with a passion, looks awful and has the potential to do huge harm. We think in this case perhaps the frayed end ran on the surface of the plate, it has cut a groove in the plate next to the spring barrel.

The case goes to a fantastic cabinet maker who will decide the best action. It has been suggested to lift the veneer fron the front and swap it with the veneer on the back. All the veneers are really thick hand cut veneers and all have a bit of a curve to them.

He will also be repaiting the damage to the door that was done by the auction house. They have given me £150 to pay for that.
    The clock has a working lock on the back but the lock on the front has been removed and a piece of timber let in to replace it. Have decided not to replace the lock. Will take some pics now

Case pics as promised.

Door showing timber inset to lock space and damage to door by auction house

Shrinkage and finish damage

Brass dust from plate being abraided by nasty steel cable

Detail of foot, you can see the witness mark from previous wooden pad

Damage done by auctioneer with self adhesive sticker. What bright spark ever thought they were a good idea?

section let in to replace damage but no longer ebonised.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0155.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	136.0 KB 
ID:	344358   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0153.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	246.4 KB 
ID:	344359   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0151.jpg 
Size:	220.0 KB 
ID:	344360   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0154.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	139.7 KB 
ID:	344361   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0152.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	297.3 KB 
ID:	344362  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0156.jpg 
Size:	260.4 KB 
ID:	344363   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0157.jpg 
Size:	248.7 KB 
ID:	344364   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0148.jpg 
Size:	256.6 KB 
ID:	344365   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0150.jpg 
Size:	375.3 KB 
ID:	344366   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0149.jpg 
Size:	257.5 KB 
ID:	344367  

Gee, looking at the timber damage, it is so lucky that the glass did not break at the weak spot where it has been cut to shape.
    David

Default Re: William Post on London Bridge mid 18th century bracket clock (By: daveR)

Quote Originally Posted by daveR View Post
    Gee, looking at the timber damage, it is so lucky that the glass did not break at the weak spot where it has been cut to shape.
    David
    Yes, initially I thought the glass was relatively new but now it is sat beside my I can see very fine ripples, it isn't new just very good.

Looks in great condition to me. Not much more than a light clean and polish......

Nice