Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: William Post on London Bridge mid 18th century bracket clock (By: ballistarius)

Quote Originally Posted by ballistarius View Post
    And who cared about such fineries then? Moreover, who drank water then?
    A really nice timepiece, congrats!. I look forward to see it more in detail here

Aitor
    It would have been safer to drink beer, the brewing process was known to make the water more safe.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Blog Entries

Default Re: William Post on London Bridge mid 18th century bracket clock (By: novicetimekeeper)

Hi Nick,

Everybody, including small children, would have drunk a weak beer then, known as "small beer".

Regards,

Graham

"Ut tensio, sic vis" - Robert Hooke

Default Re: William Post on London Bridge mid 18th century bracket clock (By: gmorse)

I have been given permission to use the photographs now that I have paid for the clock so I upload them here in case the link ever gets broken.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	br_2363297.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	338965   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	br_2363298.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	230.3 KB 
ID:	338966   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	br_2363300.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	193.5 KB 
ID:	338967  

Default Re: William Post on London Bridge mid 18th century bracket clock (By: novicetimekeeper)

The clock has finally arrived from Denmark. I'm very very pleased with it, without doubt a real quality piece not too messed about.

It suffered slight damage to the case in transit but is going to the cabinet maker anyway.

The case is beautiful but a little tired, the silvering on the dial looks like it just needs a clean and not resilvering.

The minute hand is an obvious replacement, not just wrong style but not the right quality and probably fairly modern replacement, too long as well. The hour hand is good just needs blueing.

The back cock is glaringly modern brass. I will talk with the clock repairer about that. I don't know if we should consider replacing it again or fitting an apron of the correct brass. It would be plain but a better colour.

The clock would not run when it arrived despite having several turns on the fusee. A few more turns though and it set off like a train, quite a noisy train, my partner is distressed.

I am hoping that after a service and some case repairs it might quieten down a bit or it will be banished to my bedroom. (Matthew's bedroom is the only clock free room in the house apart from the bathroom)

Hi Nick
    very nice clean lined clock. Also to the style of my liking as well.Yes the backcock is obviously a replacement but you are already working on options for that. Can you try standing the clock on small pieces of rubber to quieten it (so you get rid of the soundboard effect)? - or try convincing your partner on how wonderful is the sound...........
    David

Default Re: William Post on London Bridge mid 18th century bracket clock (By: daveR)

Quote Originally Posted by daveR View Post
    Hi Nick
    very nice clean lined clock. Also to the style of my liking as well.Yes the backcock is obviously a replacement but you are already working on options for that. Can you try standing the clock on small pieces of rubber to quieten it (so you get rid of the soundboard effect)? - or try convincing your partner on how wonderful is the sound...........
    David
    DeanT thinks it might be quieter when serviced as the verge/crown wheel might need adjusting. I think that when the hole in the door is fixed it will help, and also there are silk backed sound frets in the door which can be backed with timber by the cabinet maker as being a timepiece blind frets would be fine.

It will also have a different site in the sitting room if it is allowed back when completed and that will be less of sound board location and further from my partner's chair. I have high hopes of a satisfactory resolution ( sound mat will be part of that)

It is already a beautiful clock and when finished will be spectacular, definitely sitting room material. (plus I already have two longcase in my bedroom and will soon have a third)

Default Re: William Post on London Bridge mid 18th century bracket clock

Yes, it will be good to see it when it is done.
    I like the idea of all the longcases together, although they go [I]relatively[I]cheaply, they cost an arm and a leg to bring out here.
    Do you have the ones in the bedroom striking, or is that a step too far?
    David

Default Re: William Post on London Bridge mid 18th century bracket clock (By: daveR)

At the moment only one is ticking, that one was striking but started to strike the wrong numbers pretty consistently so I stopped it and haven't got around to fixing it. The other is Dutch striking and not currently ticking, awaiting repair. Once repaired I hope to have that striking but will have to see how I sleep through that with the hour strike twice an hour. The bell for the half hour striking is quite small. Both of those are 30 hour so strike is easily disabled with a clothes peg

The next one is an 8 day but also countwheel strike so that will get a clothes peg too (which means the weight can stay at the top )

(The longcases aren't altogether, they are spread through the house, 4 in the sitting room, one in the hall and soon three in my bedroom, one in the conservatory on a wall bracket no case soon to be joined by a friend, the rest are in my study on the bench or on loan to friends)

This is the damage done to the door during transport or storage. It was fully insured but nobody is taking responsibility yet.

I have a quote of £150 to fix it.

ah, can't upload, will do it from home

So the clock started it's life in the UK, and now
    it's back in the UK. It is quite a handsome clock,
    sorry to hear about the damage. I am always unhappy
    when I get a watch that's packed poorly.

Rob

Default Re: William Post on London Bridge mid 18th century bracket clock (By: musicguy)

Yes, started life on the mediaeval London Bridge, now back with a Londoner but in sunny Dorset.

I don't know its story, but it had a business card with some Danish script on it in the case, I will get that translated.

damage to door

Name:	DSC_0094.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	383.0 KB 
ID:	341875  

Fortunately, the original glass didn't go damaged. Here, at least, they are the most difficult part to replace (accurately, of course)
    Did you recover the wooden missing part?

Aitor
    It's all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever. Steiner

Default Re: William Post on London Bridge mid 18th century bracket clock (By: ballistarius)

No, nobody owns up to damaging it so I have no idea where or when it happened.

I don't think the glass in the front is original, it is too perfect. The glass in the back is certainly period, the glass in the sides may be replacement, not so easy to tell where the clock is and I need to look more closely in daylight.

Initially I thought the whole front door was suspect but given how think the veneers are, and the fact that the beading is fruitwood I think that passes muster. Also somebody has filled in the old door lock position and that seems unlikely on a new door.

My sister collects prints, drypoints, mezzotints, etchings, and early water colours. While she looks at the frames and the artwork I look at the glass because it fascinates me, so I'm not bad at spotting the difference. However the glass I like the best is the stuff you really have to study to know it is handmade, because when it is made very well it is very hard to pick out.

William goes to the clock repairer and cabinet maker next week, but for the moment has a place in the sitting room. He is quite noisy.

Here is a youtube clip of the pendulum

https://youtu.be/DDh-5oq6Mi4

Name:	DSC_0096.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	351.9 KB 
ID:	342115