Goal: $300, Received: $275.00 (92%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: William Post on London Bridge mid 18th century bracket clock (By: DeanT)

Quote Originally Posted by DeanT View Post
    Looks in great condition to me. Not much more than a light clean and polish......

Nice
    What do you think about the feet? In a way they lighten the look but seeing the marks on the case they don't look original, and blocks are friendlier to the case.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Default Re: William Post on London Bridge mid 18th century bracket clock (By: novicetimekeeper)

Quote Originally Posted by novicetimekeeper View Post
    What do you think about the feet? In a way they lighten the look but seeing the marks on the case they don't look original, and blocks are friendlier to the case.
    I've changed my mine about 3 times about the feet. I can't decide as both would look great....don't think there is a wrong decision here!

Default Re: William Post on London Bridge mid 18th century bracket clock (By: DeanT)

I've changed my mine about 3 times about the feet. I can't decide as both would look great....don't think there is a wrong decision here!
    I'm going to take the advice of the cabinet maker and go with that. I'll be taking the case to him next week. He is a very clever chap with a huge amount of experience, I'm sure he can make it work whichever way he thinks is right.

Default Re: William Post on London Bridge mid 18th century bracket clock (By: novicetimekeeper)

Case is with the cabinet maker. Will be repaired and refreshed, nothing too major. feet will be changed for ebonised wood block feet. We have worked out the the rear door glass and one side appear original, the front door and the other side will have the glass changed for period glass.

Meanwhile the movement is in pieces and shows the damage done by the wire fitted instead of gut. Not much can be done about the damage to the plates.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1492.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	229.8 KB 
ID:	346281   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1491.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	261.4 KB 
ID:	346282   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1490.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	205.0 KB 
ID:	346283  

The movement is ready to go, just waiting on the case now.

Name:	IMG_1507.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	244.9 KB 
ID:	346851   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1506.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	213.4 KB 
ID:	346852   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1505.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	219.6 KB 
ID:	346853   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1504.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	218.9 KB 
ID:	346854   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1503.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	248.2 KB 
ID:	346855  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1502.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	235.8 KB 
ID:	346856   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1501.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	243.8 KB 
ID:	346857  

That's come up beautifully as expected! I love the six pillars on a timepiece and the engraving on the backplate is exquisite. Such a well made clock with a restoration of the same standard. Can't wait to see the finished product!

That's come up beautifully as expected! I love the six pillars on a timepiece and the engraving on the backplate is exquisite. Such a well made clock with a restoration of the same standard. Can't wait to see the finished product!
    he has made a new apron, you can see it in the side shot. We have left it plain, don't think you could do that engraving justice.

I've seen the dial which I'm very pleased with, that minute hand has come up well too.

Edit>
    I think removing the brasso from the engraving should get a special mention.

BT declared Mr Post was spam but I got the rest through another email address. Apologies for the delay

As you can see it was under test so ready to go when the case comes back

Again, I take no credit for any of this. DeanT found it, and two very skilled men are working on it. All I did was bid on it and pay for it.

Name:	unnamed (4).jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	337.5 KB 
ID:	346945   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed (3).jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	486.5 KB 
ID:	346946   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed (2).jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	485.8 KB 
ID:	346947   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed (1).jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	505.5 KB 
ID:	346948   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	481.0 KB 
ID:	346949  

This is quite a long thread now so perhaps I should put before and after in the same thread.

Case returns tomorrow, really looking forward to seeing it. I had expected it to go straight to the clock workshop but it is coming to me first which means I can take some photos without the movement in.

Registered user.

Hello Nick, just now I saw this thread. What an amazing find you have there!!! I now am very sure we like the same kind of clocks. The movement looks immaculate now and the dial is smashing! Congrats on this find. I just recently bought an English bracket clock with all over engraved backplate. This one is converted from verge to anchor as many have been. I have not been able to take some quality pictures yet. I am planning to convert it back to verge this winter. Is there any chance you have the wheelcount of your clock? (and the pendulem length) If you like you can pm me.

Default Re: William Post on London Bridge mid 18th century bracket clock (By: P.Hageman)

Nice. Can't wait to see the finished piece.

Default Re: William Post on London Bridge mid 18th century bracket clock (By: P.Hageman)

Hi Peter,

I can ask the chap working on it for you (another Peter) or you may be able to count from the pics.

I have since been bidding on a few but have not yet been successful, I don't have a great deal of money to spend so can only afford a bargain. This was definitely a bargain, seems there wasn't much demand in Denmark.

I am bidding on a converted one and had wondered how much it would cost to convert back to verge. That one needs a case rebuild too so would be a longer term project if I am fortunate enough.

Registered user.

Nick, if you can, I would like to know how many leaves the pinions have. I cannot make out from the pictures if they are 6 or 7 leaves. (escapewheel, crownwheel and the lower one) Would help me alot.

I'll ask for you Peter

Meanwhile, the case has returned. Restored with a deft touch, you would never know it had been done I think.

Veneers have been stabilised, gently flattened. damage repaired invisibly. A gentle touch that I find all too rare when I look at restored clocks.

The brass feet have been replaced, two pieces of modern glass have been replaced.

I don't think my pics can do it justice but I am very pleased with the result. It really is a pleasure dealing with people who have so much heart for their work. He loves the case, and he has seen an awful lot of them.

Name:	post side base 2.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	191.4 KB 
ID:	349662   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	door repair.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	349661   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	post side base.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	236.1 KB 
ID:	349660   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	post front base.jpg 
Size:	228.5 KB 
ID:	349659   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	post top rear.jpg 
Size:	141.0 KB 
ID:	349658  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	post rear.jpg 
Size:	383.8 KB 
ID:	349657   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	post corner.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	226.3 KB 
ID:	349656