Goal: $300, Received: $275.00 (92%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default William Post on London Bridge mid 18th century bracket clock

William Post had premises on the old mediaeval London Bridge. The Goldsmiths company have him there in 1738 with a dial as a sign over his shop. He more than likely lived above the shop as most shop owners did on the bridge.

He was still there in May 1757 when Alderman Stephenson appointed him his deputy.

Presumably then he stayed there until the buildings were cleared off the bridge 1758-62 but I don't know where he went. He was a member of the Clockmakers Company 1766-76, I seem to recall he died in the middle of the 1780s.

This clock has been dated by the Auction house 1766 but I believe it to be 1750s, and there fore supplied from the London Bridge premises. I think they just used that date because it is in the reference books as CC.

We know he has his name on quality watches too, there is thread about one on this MB. No case so no hallmark but by style it dates back to his early time on the bridge.

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?1...t-London-Verge

Sadly I don't know where on the bridge he was.

By Angr - →This file has been extracted from another file: Panorama of London by Claes Van Visscher, 1616.jpg, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=832356

I have asked permission from the auctioneer to upload the pics as I won't see the clock until the end of April.

However I am impatient to share as I love it already, so here is a link
    http://www.bruun-rasmussen.dk/search...59&mode=detail

If permission is forthcoming I will add the pics here in case the link gets broken later.

The clock looks to be pretty much complete and little messed with. It has a new back cock and has lost the apron, it appears to be a quality piece even though it is only a timepiece. (we have enough dinging so that suits us)
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Default Re: William Post on London Bridge mid 18th century bracket clock (By: novicetimekeeper)

Ooh VERY nice Nick! What a handsome clock! Love the engraved back plate and the dial with the little mock pendulum aperture. Looks like you finally got your Verge clock! Cant wait to see more when you get it

Default Re: William Post on London Bridge mid 18th century bracket clock

Quote Originally Posted by ClipClock View Post
    Ooh VERY nice Nick! What a handsome clock! Love the engraved back plate and the dial with the little mock pendulum aperture. Looks like you finally got your Verge clock! Cant wait to see more when you get it
    Thanks very much Sally, I thought you would like it. I'm hoping the silvering will clean up rather than need resilvering, we shall see.

The mock pendulum looks fire gilded, it must have looked great by candlelight twinkling as it went to and fro.

BTW I bid for it but credit must go to DeanT who spotted it and forwarded the details on to me.

Default Re: William Post on London Bridge mid 18th century bracket clock (By: novicetimekeeper)

Nick, nice catch. It looks like an honest clock. I like the thinness of the case.

Nice price.

Regards, Ralph

Default Re: William Post on London Bridge mid 18th century bracket clock (By: Ralph)

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Nick, nice catch. It looks like an honest clock. I like the thinness of the case.

Nice price.

Regards, Ralph
    I must defer to my Mentor on bracket clocks for him to take the credit Ralph, but I'm very pleased with it, and as you say, with the price.

I won't see it for a while and then I'll decide what help it needs, but on first impressions it doesn't need much.

Hey Nick,

Lots to like about this clock. The general appearance is great with the case being simple, elegant and having clean lines.

Lovely engraving on the backplate. Six pillars on the movement which seems overkill for a timepiece but obviously a sign of being well made. I would guess for the bedroom of wealthy house hence the lack of striking...

If you look closely you can see the engraving on the mock pendulum which is really exquisite detailing.

Tapered arbours also nice to see on a clock of this age.

Rocco spandrels used from about 1745 and the inverted bell top becoming popular from around the same time.

The only thing that surprises me is that William Post worked for such a long period and yet there do not seem to be many of his clock in existence. The few I have seen are first class so obviously a maker of quality clocks.

Hope you enjoy it on the mantelpiece.....

Cheers
    Dean

Default Re: William Post on London Bridge mid 18th century bracket clock (By: DeanT)

Thanks Dean. I have found a few clocks, three bracket and two longcase plus Ray's watch. He seems to have been a goldsmith as well so perhaps he spent more of his time doing that.

He was clearly highly thought of if he was appointed as a deputy alderman. I shall continue researching him and his work to find more.

Blog Entries

Hi Nick,

Very elegant! The lack of external decoration makes me wonder if Master Post was a Quaker; is anything known? That replacement back cock looks quite crisp and well finished, as do its screws. Do you think the minute hand is also a replacement?

Regards,

Graham

"Ut tensio, sic vis" - Robert Hooke

Default Re: William Post on London Bridge mid 18th century bracket clock (By: gmorse)

Quote Originally Posted by gmorse View Post
    Hi Nick,

Very elegant! The lack of external decoration makes me wonder if Master Post was a Quaker; is anything known? That replacement back cock looks quite crisp and well finished, as do its screws. Do you think the minute hand is also a replacement?

Regards,

Graham
    I did wonder about the minute hand, it seems a little early for a serpentine.

I will be researching Mr Post more though it isn't a great name for google I have not done bad so far. I'd like to know when he left London Bridge and where he went.

He seems to have had more than one string to his bow, and was in business a long time. I was quite surprised to turn up one of Ray's watches in my research. You suggested that was fairly early, now you know he was on London Bridge in 1738 how early do you think the watch might be?

found another pocket watch. Sadly sold or I would have bought it!

http://www.cogsandpieces.com/pocketwatch1254.html

Really lovely bracket clock Nick and a good price so you must be chuffed.

Britten has this on William Post "42 Fish Street Hill; watch 1760;". The entry isn't clear as to whether 1760 just applies to the watch and/or Fish Street Hill which is to the north of London Bridge but it might be helpful to your interest as to where he went you.
    Jonathan.

Default Re: William Post on London Bridge mid 18th century bracket clock

"Really lovely bracket clock Nick and a good price so you must be chuffed"

Yeap the price is an absolute steal.....well played....

Blog Entries

Hi Nick,

...You suggested that was fairly early, now you know he was on London Bridge in 1738 how early do you think the watch might be?...
    I still think it's between 1720 and 1740, so it would have been from London Bridge. I hope the severed heads on the bridge gatehouse didn't make too much of a stink!

Regards,

Graham

"Ut tensio, sic vis" - Robert Hooke

Default Re: William Post on London Bridge mid 18th century bracket clock (By: jmclaugh)

Quote Originally Posted by jmclaugh View Post
    Really lovely bracket clock Nick and a good price so you must be chuffed.

Britten has this on William Post "42 Fish Street Hill; watch 1760;". The entry isn't clear as to whether 1760 just applies to the watch and/or Fish Street Hill which is to the north of London Bridge but it might be helpful to your interest as to where he went you.
    Oh, that's an excellent bit of the jigsaw Jonathan. It would mean he moved between 1757 and 1760 which would fit with the clearance of the buildings on London Bridge between 58-62.

As an aside I've been wondering where they got their water from on the bridge. I know the latrines went straight into the river. I suppose there must have been water sellers, getting it straight from the river even without the adjacent latrines sounds a bit risky and it has always been very muddy.

Quote Originally Posted by novicetimekeeper View Post
    As an aside I've been wondering where they got their water from on the bridge. I know the latrines went straight into the river. I suppose there must have been water sellers, getting it straight from the river even without the adjacent latrines sounds a bit risky and it has always been very muddy.
    And who cared about such fineries then? Moreover, who drank water then?
    A really nice timepiece, congrats!. I look forward to see it more in detail here

Aitor
    It's all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever. Steiner