Goal: $300, Received: $115.00 (38%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Riley Whiting 3/4 Column and Splat

Hello, Clock-lovers!

My newest family member is the Riley Whiting piece pictured below. It is likely one of the most original clocks in my collection, with little evidence of tampering.

The bottom glass was the most intriguing feature, and while it has a very small amount of touch-up work, seems to be original. Any ideas as to the subject matter? I can't pin down the costume the little fellow with the dog is wearing- I hope someone can help with this. A lot of Whiting tablets feature better-than-average tablets, often with various figures or people portrayed in them. I'd love to learn more about this one.

The movement is in top shape, with no repairs. It is a good, strong runner, and strikes with the clearest sound I have heard from any of my bell-strikers. It echoes for a good minute after it finishes the hour count. I love it!

As a side note here, at the recommendation of a local museum curator here in Knoxville, I carefully used a bit of Go-Jo Waterless Hand Cleaner in an effort to brighten the stenciling a bit. It was recommended that I use my fingers to softly apply it, and wipe it clean with an old cotton tee shirt. I did so, and it worked wonders! The tee shirt was black with dirt when I was finished, and the stenciling was so very much brighter! I was quite pleased with the results.

As always, comments, suggestions and information is gladly welcomed.

Warmest regards to all,

George Nelson
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Overall.jpg   Movement.jpg   Label.jpg   Tablet.jpg   Tablet close.jpg  

Default Re: Riley Whiting 3/4 Column and Splat

Quote Originally Posted by George Nelson View Post
    Hello, Clock-lovers!

My newest family member is the Riley Whiting piece pictured below. It is likely one of the most original clocks in my collection, with little evidence of tampering.

The bottom glass was the most intriguing feature, and while it has a very small amount of touch-up work, seems to be original. Any ideas as to the subject matter? I can't pin down the costume the little fellow with the dog is wearing- I hope someone can help with this. A lot of Whiting tablets feature better-than-average tablets, often with various figures or people portrayed in them. I'd love to learn more about this one.

The movement is in top shape, with no repairs. It is a good, strong runner, and strikes with the clearest sound I have heard from any of my bell-strikers. It echoes for a good minute after it finishes the hour count. I love it!

As a side note here, at the recommendation of a local museum curator here in Knoxville, I carefully used a bit of Go-Jo Waterless Hand Cleaner in an effort to brighten the stenciling a bit. It was recommended that I use my fingers to softly apply it, and wipe it clean with an old cotton tee shirt. I did so, and it worked wonders! The tee shirt was black with dirt when I was finished, and the stenciling was so very much brighter! I was quite pleased with the results.

As always, comments, suggestions and information is gladly welcomed.

Warmest regards to all,

George Nelson
    Very nice.

Whiting used some interesting hand painted glasses on this clocks.

By the way, I would call this a 1/2 column rather than a 3/4 column.

I've attached some random pix that I could easily find of some examples of the 3/4 variety.

RM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3889.jpg   IMG_3888.jpg   IMG_2961.JPG   IMG_2746.JPG  

Default Re: Riley Whiting 3/4 Column and Splat

Hi, All

A short update on the possible subject matter for the tablet on this clock. Pat Holloway, a friend and frequent contributor to these discussions, just contacted me about a possible lead on the subject depicted. She suggested that it might be Rob Roy MacGregor, often referred to as the "Scottish Robin Hood". A brief perusal of Google Images makes me think she could be right. (See attached images). He had quite an interesting history, and since the year 1834 was the one-hundredth year anniversary of his death and certainly a possible year for the manufacture of my clock (Whiting made clocks until his death in 1835), it seems likely that the image could indeed be of Rob. A little research into Scottish history tells me that the particular clothes the man in the image is wearing could be victory celebratory clothes, commemorating one of the battles Mr. MacGregor had won.

My thanks to Pat for her gracious help in presenting me with a possibility for my tablet. It is indeed one of my favorites!

Good wishes for all,

George Nelson
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rob Roy 1.jpg   Rob Roy 3.jpg   Tablet closeup.jpg  
    Last edited by Peter A. Nunes; 05-06-2017 at 09:49 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Riley Whiting 3/4 Column and Splat (By: George Nelson)

Nice clock George. I am more and more envious with each of your posts.

To me, the figure looks female. It looks like hair braids, particularly on the left (as you look at the photo), and the waistline is quite narrow for a supposedly historical prominent male figure. Also, if it is a kilt, it is not plaid, which seems odd? So, I suspect it is a dress.

Tom

Default Re: Riley Whiting 3/4 Column and Splat (By: gleber)

Hi, Gleber!

Your comments about my posts are very kind. I do love to talk about clocks, and this is the place to do it! Thanks so much for your thought-provoking post I hadn't really considered a female figure, but your thoughts are most interesting, and now that you point it out, seem to have a lot of merit!

I will "take to the net" to see if I can find something else that might fit. Very intriguing indeed!

I'll report back on any further findings, and hope fully Pat H., a true reverse glass enthusiast and expert, will see this post and comment further as well. Of course, everyone's opinions are most welcome, so please bring it on.

Thanks everyone,

George
    Time is a great story teller... Irish Proverb

Default Re: Riley Whiting 3/4 Column and Splat (By: gleber)

Hi,All,

I am taking up this discussion in the Reverse Glass section of the Message Boards. It is really much more appropriate to discuss this subject there. So please, join me in that category where the discussion, and some news, will be presented.

Thanks so much,

George Nelson
    Time is a great story teller... Irish Proverb