Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered user.

Default Lubricating jewels in mainspring barrel - oil or grease?

Just a quickie, servicing a Waltham model 1899 with jeweled mainspring barrel for first time and not sure whether to grease the jewels or just use a heavier oil? There isn't a 'cup' on the jewels to keep oil in place so I am guessing answer is to use a grease.

I have KT22, Moebius 8200 , Moebius 9020 at hand.

Registered user.
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Lubricating jewels in mainspring barrel - oil or grease? (By: Mark UK)

Always oil in rotary bearings. Or at least a grease that behaves as an oil in terms of Surface tension. I Believe HP1300 is such a grease.
    You want the lubricant to be held in at the bearing Surfaces by capillary action and Surface tension. A grease will be "plowed" away by the pressure and won't return. Even if the jewel doesn't have a reservoir the oil will be held by the hole and by the pivot shoulder.

Default Re: Lubricating jewels in mainspring barrel - oil or grease? (By: Mark UK)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark UK View Post
    Just a quickie, servicing a Waltham model 1899 with jeweled mainspring barrel for first time and not sure whether to grease the jewels or just use a heavier oil? There isn't a 'cup' on the jewels to keep oil in place so I am guessing answer is to use a grease.

I have KT22, Moebius 8200 , Moebius 9020 at hand.
    I believe clock oil, but will wait to see what the experts say.

Robert

Default Re: Lubricating jewels in mainspring barrel - oil or grease? (By: karlmansson)

I agree with Karl. Both the 8200 and the KT22 are greases (solids) at room temperature. The 9020 is a bit too fine - it works well on the barrel arbor of a ladies' watch, but not a pocket watch. I use HP1300 on pocket watch barrel arbors, whether jeweled or not.

Glen

Registered user.

Default Re: Lubricating jewels in mainspring barrel - oil or grease? (By: Accutronica)

Thanks Karl/Robert but darn, I just greased them, back to the ultrasonic then!

I just checked my cupboard... I have a few bottles/philes of oils that I haven't used as I think they are mineral, two of them are watch oils marked 'British Horological Lubricants' 'Classic' and 'Pocket' which I have marked as heavy, plus a phile of Moebius 8000 which I think is similar viscosity to the synthetic Moebius 9020 that I now use.... I don't have a clock oil to hand, would any of those I've mentioned be suitable?

Registered user.

Default Re: Lubricating jewels in mainspring barrel - oil or grease? (By: glenhead)

Quote Originally Posted by glenhead View Post
    I use HP1300 on pocket watch barrel arbors, whether jeweled or not.Glen
    Thanks Glen. As luck would have it Cousins.UK have them in stock for next day delivery. Is the barrel arbor the only place you use HP1300? If so then I will just order a 2ml phile.

Default Re: Lubricating jewels in mainspring barrel - oil or grease? (By: glenhead)

Quote Originally Posted by glenhead View Post
    I agree with Karl. Both the 8200 and the KT22 are greases (solids) at room temperature. The 9020 is a bit too fine - it works well on the barrel arbor of a ladies' watch, but not a pocket watch. I use HP1300 on pocket watch barrel arbors, whether jeweled or not.

Glen
    Would Moebius 8201 work well? Or silicone watch oil 10 (CS)?

Robert

Registered user.
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Lubricating jewels in mainspring barrel - oil or grease? (By: Accutronica)

I use D5 for such applications. HP1300 is the synthetic equivalent but I haven't gotten around to buying it. It has too many uses for me to be able to reserve it for just high load bearings. It work great on all sliding applications as well (winding stem, chronograph levers etc.) but I use Molykote DX for that. Both D5 and DX is a fraction of the cost of HP1300, although I'm sure HP is the better choice.

Registered user.

Default Re: Lubricating jewels in mainspring barrel - oil or grease? (By: karlmansson)

I have 2ml on order, £20 including post so not too bad.

I know that discussions on oiler sticks/pens/trays occur fairly regularly but what about greases.... what is the best method for applying them? I currently use modified oiler pens but to be honest it is not that successful as the grease tends to stick to the pens and doesn't want to transfer to where you want it, so I end up applying too much and spend ages trying to remove the excess lol

Registered user.
    Blog Entries

I only use grease on mainsprings and sliding parts. For mainsprings I use gloves, rub a little between thumb and fingertip and then run the spring between them rather tightly. For sliding parts I place a dab with an oiler that I then spread out. You can clean up excess grease with rodico too, you only need it where the surfaces mate.

Registered user.

Quote Originally Posted by karlmansson View Post
    I only use grease on mainsprings and sliding parts. For mainsprings I use gloves, rub a little between thumb and fingertip and then run the spring between them rather tightly. For sliding parts I place a dab with an oiler that I then spread out. You can clean up excess grease with rodico too, you only need it where the surfaces mate.
    I think we think alike... I save my used finger cots for handling/greasing mainsprings. I did wonder if a fine tipped artist brush was any good for applying grease to sliding parts, or even an old dried up fibre-tip pen, but I am sure there is probably a good reason why these shouldn't be used. I will stick with using oiler and rodico for now

One of my clockmaker mentors uses a brush for applying oil. I don't know how he does it - I certainly make a mess when I try the same danged brush. Oil on the ceiling, oil on the neighbor's cat... He's been doing it for forty years longer than I have, so that probably has a lot to do with it!

I use a dip oiler for everything except capped jewels; for them, I use an automatic oiler pen.

Glen

Quote Originally Posted by karlmansson View Post
    I use D5 for such applications. HP1300 is the synthetic equivalent but I haven't gotten around to buying it. It has too many uses for me to be able to reserve it for just high load bearings. It work great on all sliding applications as well (winding stem, chronograph levers etc.) but I use Molykote DX for that. Both D5 and DX is a fraction of the cost of HP1300, although I'm sure HP is the better choice.
    Thanks, but that didn't answer my question.

Robert

Registered user.
    Blog Entries

Wasn't a response to your question, it was directed at the OP.

I always use watch oil on jewelled pivots.