Goal: $300, Received: $250.00 (84%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: fusee ... hall of shame? (By: bruce linde)

Not too shabby!
    1. Check out the Repair Hints & How-To's forum. You may find your answer there.

You can buy spray paint in cans that dries with a crackle finish - they sell them in artists' supply shops and some hardware stores.

JTD

Default Re: fusee ... hall of shame? (By: JTD)

ok ok, you all win! i took the replacement dial and used a hair dryer on it (on high).... turned that bright white new look into a slightly yellowed (and older) look. i then put the dial on one of those expanding rubber bits that holds sanding wheels in a dremel and used the dremel to spin the dial around while lightly touching the number track with a 220 sanding pad... it put subtle circular scratches in the dial and numbers, as if the hands had been rubbing for a long time. between that and the natural distortions in the original dial glass, i'm pretty happy with the overall look.

the one thing i might do is try to take down the dial mount edges ever so slightly so the movement and hour and minute pipes come forward 1/8", just to make sure the back of the hour hand has a wee bit more clearance with the replacement dial sitting on top of the original. i was thinking it would be great to do this with some kind of drill bit that has a hole in the middle (almost like a combination cutting tool/larger punch), but i don't have one. do they make such a beast?

also... where does one get those little bitty hold-the-hour-hand-to-the-old-style hour cam/assembly screws? were they typically the same size? maybe glasses frame screws?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beater_fusee_2.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	383.9 KB 
ID:	340788  
    i collect antique clocks because i get all that extra time...

Registered user.

English made clock, probably BA threads, that size be a 9 or 10BA with a pan or domed head

Default Re: fusee ... hall of shame?

I've seen multiple examples lately of little bitty flat head w 1/16" (or so) flat sides screws securing hour hands (fusee and tall case), and securing horizontally sliding washers that hold together tall case great wheel assemblies.... not domed, not pan heads.... kind of like the screws that hold ST regulator movements together, but silver in color and way smaller.

ok, so I'd like to lay in a small assorted supply of very small thread cheesehead screws... any suggestions as to where to get these?
    Last edited by bruce linde; 04-20-2017 at 11:19 PM.

never mind... i found an inexpensive assortment at cousinsuk.com....

thx

Quote Originally Posted by smike View Post
    I've seen multiple examples lately of little bitty flat head w 1/16" (or so) flat sides screws securing hour hands (fusee and tall case), and securing horizontally sliding washers that hold together tall case great wheel assemblies.... not domed, not pan heads.... kind of like the screws that hold ST regulator movements together, but silver in color and way smaller.

ok, so I'd like to lay in a small assorted supply of very small thread cheesehead screws... any suggestions as to where to get these?

I have seen this dial in restored condition with and without London County Council on it, I'm confused.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Default Re: fusee ... hall of shame?

Quote Originally Posted by novicetimekeeper View Post
    I have seen this dial in restored condition with and without London County Council on it, I'm confused.

i have two similar fusees... the first acquisition (a while ago, discussed in another thread) has london county council on the dial and LCC stamped on the movement. that was my first one, and i had the dial re-painted by ben beede in sacramento.

this thread was/is about a recent purchase ($10) of a trashed fusee... with the original dial under a generic (more) modern replacement dial... which is the one i wanted to make look less white and brand new... hence the blow dryer and dremel/220 treatments. the newest fusee has no markings on it but provided much practice in problem solving and repair... and fun!
    Last edited by bruce linde; 04-21-2017 at 11:31 AM.