Goal: $300, Received: $250.00 (84%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default fusee ... hall of shame?

just opened up that $10 craigslist fusee with the missing pendulum and found a very special spring click (if you can call it that) held in by a screw that looks like it might be less-than-snug based on what looks like yellow plumber's tape wrapped around the threads... but the movement is running 8-)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fusee.jpg 
Views:	2002 
Size:	543.4 KB 
ID:	338322  
    i collect antique clocks because i get all that extra time...

Default Re: fusee ... hall of shame? (By: bruce linde)

Maybe the old one broke and he wanted something Beefier?
    The man who knows how to make it work will always have a job, The man who knows why it makes it work will always be his boss. Website http://sailorsandsettlersantiques.com

Default Re: fusee ... hall of shame? (By: BLKBEARD)

What's that inside the cap cut-out?
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Default Re: fusee ... hall of shame? (By: shutterbug)

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    What's that inside the cap cut-out?
    sorry… The frayed end of the steel cable... two strands

Registered user.

Some how, I don't think the bolt end for the arbor is original
    either.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: fusee ... hall of shame? (By: Tinker Dwight)

it certainly heavy duty… But without a click it makes it tricky to preload the spring

Maybe he grew up fixing old Knucklehead Harley Davidson motorcycles. We used to apply a similar fix to a bolt in the primary case that liked to work itself loose from the vibration.

Quote Originally Posted by smike View Post
    just opened up that $10 craigslist fusee with the missing pendulum and found a very special spring click (if you can call it that) held in by a screw that looks like it might be less-than-snug based on what looks like yellow plumber's tape wrapped around the threads... but the movement is running 8-)

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - The Great One

Default Re: fusee ... hall of shame? (By: THTanner)

Sheer brilliance!

Necessity has alway's been the mother of invention....Ha Ha Ha!
    Back the Blue!

Default Re: fusee ... hall of shame? (By: hemioutlaw)

the movement has been serviced and the clock is running great:

- left the frankenstein bolt (rather than expected click) on the spring barrel... i can't really say it wasn't broken so i didn't fix it, but whoever did what they did to make it work like that did a reasonable job with whatever/however the heck they did

- made a dial door latch (the arm that swings down and holds the dial door closed)

- carefully glued the dial bezel back together... only to find that the wood had dried out and shrunk and the dial would no longer fit... so i restored the crack! 8-)

- discovered a worn back pivot on T2 (yes? the one driven by the fusee gear?) that had a 'T' shape... a very narrow sliver at the end was 1.61mm, everything else was 1.31mm. i was going to re-pivot but chickened out and took down the T edge so that it was all 1.31mm, smoothed and burnished the pivot and then re-bushed the pivot hole (note: bangster told me bushing would quickly become second nature after the first few, and dang if he wasn't absolutely spot on!)... spins happy

- cleaned the mainspring and replaced the steel cable, replacement pendulum from timesavers

- replaced the worn tension/banana spring (made from old mainspring) under the minute hand piece with one that worked

- left the original/worn dial instead of the replacement that was on top of it... kind of like it in contrast with all of my other clocks

can't really call it a restoration, but still may be the best (and funnest) ten bucks i ever spent. 8-)

this one gets filed under:

CONTINUING CLOCK EDUCATION
    BEATER FUSEE: MISC. REPAIRS, PRACTICE & REVIEW
    100 POINTS / $10

Name:	beater_fusee.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	381.4 KB 
ID:	340730  

Registered user.

You going to repaint the dial?, Some of these dials didn't seem to use a suitable primer on the zinc or tin dial plate and the paint will just flake off with very little effort over time.

Default Re: fusee ... hall of shame? (By: dAz57)

Quote Originally Posted by dAz57 View Post
    You going to repaint the dial?, Some of these dials didn't seem to use a suitable primer on the zinc or tin dial plate and the paint will just flake off with very little effort over time.

call me whacky, but i LIKE the dial on this one. it shows what original dials more typically look like and makes me (and my friends) appreciate how well my other clocks have survived the years.

this dial was under a perfectly clean replacement dial in fine shape... but if i put on the replacement dial it would look just like one i already have that is the same size and vintage, has already had the dial re-painted, and has a better (chain-driven) movement in better condition. https://goo.gl/2AGnHg

i have another fusee, as well... a lovely 1840s english with eight sided dial, wings and brass inlays. https://goo.gl/5uBjDE

anyway, the newest one (aka 'the beater') is hanging near the breakfast table, so i pass by it on my way to feed... and get to see the crackling and age (and hands) up close.

i can of course keep the replacement dial for when the rest of the paint flakes off of this one, but may sell it to recoup the $50 i've put in ($10 for the clock, $40 for the pendulum).... as if the hours of fun i had dealing with its issues weren't payback enough!

i know it horrifies the purists, but it was one step away from landfill and will now run the rest of my natural days.

Registered user.

No I would not replace the dial but repaint it so it maintains the same style and look.

This is one I did a couple of years back for a customer, the dial was losing paint every time someone touched it, wound it etc., So I traced a template first, it took 30 seconds to remove the paint with a flat scraper it was that bad, if you look carefully you can see the ghost traces of the of lettering etched into the dial plate, then I primed and spray painted the dial in an vintage white using automotive lacquer, then using drafting pens, rulers and compasses redrew the lettering. No clear lacquer was used or needed over the ink.

Take your time and you can do a pretty good restoration of this dial.

Name:	20140801_145838.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	261.4 KB 
ID:	340744   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140801_153207.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	157.8 KB 
ID:	340745   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140801_145424.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	157.0 KB 
ID:	340746   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140803_154819.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	150.9 KB 
ID:	340747   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140809_102510.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	390.9 KB 
ID:	340748  

wow… seriously impressive work. I'm not sure I have a steady enough hand… I am a notoriously bad painter!

The one thing that might make me consider taking on that project is if I could make a base that's all crackled and yellow like the one that's flaking off… And then paint back on the numbers. I'd want it to look old.

how much did you charge the customer, by the way? :-) Maybe you could private message me the answer.

Registered user.

Default Re: fusee ... hall of shame?

I think it took me 4-5 hours to do over a couple of days, the easy parts is the straight lines and circles, a compass to draw the minute ring and the tops and bottoms of the Roman numerals, a pin in the centre and straight edge does all the minute marks, the Roman numerals are actually slightly tapered towards the centre with a vanishing point a dial span over or so, the numerals are done in outline first and left to dry fully, then filled in with a thicker pen.

The hard part for me anyway was the lettering of the names, if I didn't have to do that I would have had the dial done in a couple of hours.

I think there are ways to do cracked finishes, when I do an old dial, I clean the old ink and paint off with brasso, if the original paint is cracked or crazed the brasso doesn't affect this but just leaves​ a clean smooth surface, this way I can retain the old look, it you can do a cracked distressed finish, then do a slight cut back with very fine wet and dry should leave a satin finish and get rid of that new gloss look, then ink the dial in.
    Last edited by dAz57; 04-19-2017 at 10:10 PM.

I think my skills are more mechanical then artistic, at least when it comes to something like this. In the meantime, I'm experimenting with seeing if I can make the new replacement dial that came with it look older. … I.e., a little bit of time in an oven, leaving it outside, etc. the trick is to notice a change before you notice too much change! :-) It didn't cost me anything so what the heck?