Goal: $300, Received: $225.00 (75%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Help with 14k Pocket Watch Identification .."Chronometer" on dial and movement

Hi! I work for a local Coin and Collectible business and I bought this watch over the counter today, and needed some help with Identifying this Watch. it does use a lever to set the time or to wind it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9297.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	479.8 KB 
ID:	338317Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9296.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	227.6 KB 
ID:	338316Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9298.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	175.2 KB 
ID:	338318Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9299.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	185.4 KB 
ID:	338319Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9300.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	338320Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9301.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	134.0 KB 
ID:	338321

Default Re: Help with 14k Pocket Watch Identification .."Chronometer" on dial and movement (By: mrbillscoins&collectibles)

I believe this watch is European, so I am going to move it over to that forum for better help.

Default Re: Help with 14k Pocket Watch Identification .."Chronometer" on dial and movement (By: Dave Coatsworth)

Thanks!

Default Re: Help with 14k Pocket Watch Identification .."Chronometer" on dial and movement (By: mrbillscoins&collectibles)

Hi mrbillscoins&collectibles and wellcome to this message board ! Please post more pics of the movement especially the balance wheel from different angles.It looks as if it was indeed a chronometer escapement/pivoted detent. Best would be pics if the watch is not running.If it is a chronometer escapement You ´d have a verry desirable watch (in my eyes at least)
    Best
    Burkhard
    Gigni de nihilo nihil,et nihil in nihilum posse reverti
    (Persius)

Default Re: Help with 14k Pocket Watch Identification .."Chronometer" on dial and movement

These are definitely European, but yours is finished for an English-speaking market. Some are marked "Chronometre" and some, like yours, "Chronometer". I have seen several examples of this same basic movement - all with pivoted detent escapement and helical hairspring. I suspect the movements were bought and finished by various finishers and the quality can be quite variable. I have, unfortunately, one of the cheaper versions. Yours appears to be finished to a considerably higher level than mine. Most that I have seen have a nickel finish, but I think the gilt finish on yours looks better. I don't think it is a high-end chronometer but is one of the better finished versions of this model.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chronometer.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	177.6 KB 
ID:	338328
    Jerry Treiman, NAWCC member since 1971
    Charter member of Pocket Horology Chapter 174

Default Re: Help with 14k Pocket Watch Identification .."Chronometer" on dial and movement (By: Jerry Treiman)

Jerry has it right. These were popular in the late 1800's and turn of the 20th century. These pivoted detent escapements. The lever on the bezel is for setting.

These are decent quality timepieces but by this time testing, especially at Neuchatel had shown that the pivoted detent was not as good as the lever for precision timekeeping.

It became a relatively cheap way to offer a timepiece that could truly be called a chronometer, not a cheap watch, but less expensive than making a lever watch that could pass Swiss Observatory tests for a a lever chronometer.

Default Re: Help with 14k Pocket Watch Identification .."Chronometer" on dial and movement (By: Dr. Jon)

The watch case is 14 karat solid gold.
    Martin Rosen