Goal: $300, Received: $360.00 (120%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Registered user.

Default Elgin 0s mainspring question

According to the Parts tab on PocketwatchDatabase.com (love that site), I need part 2097 - strength .00575
    Looking on the Bay to purchase a spring I find a number of 2097 springs with .0055. There is only one 2097 with .00575 markings on the package. Then there are white alloy springs marked 2079/6095.
    Question- can someone explain if these are interchangeable and why/why not??
    Thanks
    Always wanted to be a brain surgeon.........figure fixing watches is a better hobby.

Default Re: Elgin 0s mainspring question (By: bjhallen)

Quote Originally Posted by bjhallen View Post
    According to the Parts tab on PocketwatchDatabase.com (love that site), I need part 2097 - strength .00575
    Looking on the Bay to purchase a spring I find a number of 2097 springs with .0055. There is only one 2097 with .00575 markings on the package. Then there are white alloy springs marked 2079/6095.
    Question- can someone explain if these are interchangeable and why/why not??
    Thanks
    I'm not sure but you can get one here: http://www.ofrei.com/page298.html#12828

Robert

Registered user.

Default Re: Elgin 0s mainspring question (By: Accutronica)

Thanks so much for the quick response....You just enter the SN of the watch and for $29 they send you the right mainspring......wow, but I think I need to save some $$ and understand what the difference is. Enjoying the learning part, too!
    Always wanted to be a brain surgeon.........figure fixing watches is a better hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by bjhallen View Post
    Thanks so much for the quick response....You just enter the SN of the watch and for $29 they send you the right mainspring......wow, but I think I need to save some $$ and understand what the difference is. Enjoying the learning part, too!
    I think it said they were on sale for $24.99. Maybe you can find one cheaper somewhere else.

Robert

Blog Entries

Default Re: Elgin 0s mainspring question (By: Accutronica)

I think you can find them cheaper at Dave's Watch Parts, CasKer or on Ebay.

Registered user.

Default Re: Elgin 0s mainspring question (By: richiec)

Quote Originally Posted by richiec View Post
    I think you can find them cheaper at Dave's Watch Parts, CasKer or on Ebay.
    But the problem/question I have is 2097 comes in two sizes/strenghts(?) I see on the Ebay packaging pictures - .00575 says 294 and .0055 says 295

Some on Bay are selling as 2097/6095 with no indication of 294 or 295 on package.
    Dave's description states 2097 nothing about 294 or 295
    Caskers says 2097/6095 nothing about 294 or 295
    Is 6095 the alloy spring, but is it the .0055 or .00575? Does it matter?

I'm beginner and I'm confused.....

Default Re: Elgin 0s mainspring question

I recently cleaned and reassembled an Elgin Grade 320 0s and an Elgin Grade 462 3s. They both can use the 6095 mainspring, so I bought 2 from eBay to try them out. I didn't know if these eBay mainsprings were the correct strength as they were unmarked, but after installing these mainsprings the watches ran very fast. I suspect these 6095 mainsprings were too strong. I do not want to use the Elgin Resilient 2097 mainsprings because they are steel and may already be set after all this time. When I find the closest Elgin Durapower (alloy) mainspring, I will try again.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Elgin 0s mainspring question (By: 18k BPH)

According to the mainspring chart I have, the 2097-.0055 is for the 15 and 17 jewel movements while the 2097-.00575 is for the 7 jewel movements. Hope this clarifies it somewhat. they also made a .00525 thickness but it was unknown what jeweling this covered. All are .065 inches wide and likely 17.5 inches long. Using metric numbers, they are 1.65 mm wide, the 15-17 jewel one is .139 mm thick and about 437.5 mm long. Other numbers for 0 size Elgin springs are 825 for the model 1, 1713 for model 2-3 with steel safety barrels, 2097 for model 2-3 with going barrels and 2328 for model 1 punched(hole?). the 6095 is the durapower spring and has thicknesses ranging from .0051-.0055 and is for the model 2-3 with going barrels. thinner is for the multi-jeweled movements and thicker is for a lesser jeweled movement.

Generally, higher jeweled movements seem to take a thinner/weaker mainspring. This probably has to do with them having less friction in their train-wheels, etc. What model/grade watch is it, and how many jewels does it have? I might be able to find it in my Elgin parts book.

I just looked in my book and saw that Elgin calls out 3 different thicknesses depending on the grade of watch. The thinnest, .00525 is in a grade 423-424, .00550 in grades 417-420 and 462-465, others seem to be that .00575. Let me know the serial number, and I should be able to find the grade and the proper thickness.
    Last edited by MrRoundel; 03-31-2017 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Grade and thickness info.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Elgin 0s mainspring question (By: MrRoundel)

Thanks for listing the grade numbers because you can narrow the spring down better than knowing model 1, 2 3 etc. I have a master Elgin mainspring list plus the parts catalog listing grade, etc also.

Registered user.

Default Re: Elgin 0s mainspring question (By: richiec)

Thanks 18 BPH for information on your experience - valuable.
    Richiec and MrRoundel both referred to a book to “look up” – thanks for checking and it confirms the thought that I’m missing a reference book used to “understand” mainspring replacements. Sometimes the hardest part to gaining knowledge is figuring out what you don’t know exists. The Pocketwatchdatabase website did give me the “strength .00575”, but I did not understand that this was the thickness which would equate to strength. THANKS so much all three of you and the person that private messaged me!!

YW, bjhallen. The book I referenced is the factory parts book for Elgin Genuine Material. Mine is in a red spiral binder with gold "Elgin" logo and printing. The price list in the back is for 1953, so that figures to be close to copyright time. The book is so well indexed, etc., that it makes one consider working on Elgin watch exclusively. It's too bad that all watch companies didn't do the job as well.

BTW: It still might be a good idea to let us know the serial number of your watch, or at least the grade number, in order to double-check the information you got from the other website. Your call. Good luck. Cheers.

Link to completed auction for reference book noted above.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/vtg-ELGIN-WA...p2047675.l2557
    Last edited by MrRoundel; 04-01-2017 at 10:28 AM.

Registered user.

Default Re: Elgin 0s mainspring question (By: MrRoundel)

Thanks so much for giving the name of the reference book you use. I found it is accessible on the Elginwatches.org (another website I love). Here is what you must be looking at - wow that came out small - but a big thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails elgin.jpg  

It's similar, but not exact. I don't see the grade number referenced. But it does show that the 15J and 17J models/grades take the thinner/weaker spring, which is probably the most important part. Good luck.