Goal: $300, Received: $80.00 (27%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Demagnetizer - Spend Big Bucks or Little Bucks (By: Tim Orr)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Orr View Post
    Good evening, all!

One advantage to the coil-type units: If you NEED to magnetize a tool, it's easy to do, then demagnetize it afterward. Just put the tool into the coil with the current off. Turn it on for a second or two, then turn it off again, without removing the tool. You'll find you've made a nice magnetic pickup tool that can be "erased" later by putting it back into the coil, turning the coil on, slowly withdrawing the tool a few feet away, and then shutting off the power.

Best regards!

Tim Orr
    To quote Mr. Scott, "That's the ticket, laddie.".

Robert

Default Re: Demagnetizer - Spend Big Bucks or Little Bucks (By: musicguy)

Rob,
    I will drop a pocket watch movement on my cheap magnetizer (case open).
    When I activate the de-magnetizer The hairspring is pulled all of the coils, flat in one direction down into the direction of the de-magnetizer.
    So to chime in on the original post I use the 8 or 9 dollar type device.
    Press a button and run a tool back and forth over it a few times.
    Sometimes I have to do this more than once, but it seems to work ok.
    Dave.

Default Re: Demagnetizer - Spend Big Bucks or Little Bucks (By: PWfanatik)

Quote Originally Posted by PWfanatik View Post
    Rob,
    I will drop a pocket watch movement on my cheap magnetizer (case open).
    When I activate the de-magnetizer The hairspring is pulled all of the coils, flat in one direction down into the direction of the de-magnetizer.
    So to chime in on the original post I use the 8 or 9 dollar type device.
    Press a button and run a tool back and forth over it a few times.
    Sometimes I have to do this more than once, but it seems to work ok.
    Dave.
    Mine tries to pull to the top. I had a tiny screw that needed degaussed. Holding the screw in the center of the coil with tweezers, when I pushed the button it ripped the screw from my tweezers. So holding the button in, I quickly set the tweezers down and put my fingers into the coil as best I could and when I released the button, the screw fell into my hand.

Robert

Blog Entries

Default Re: Demagnetizer - Spend Big Bucks or Little Bucks (By: Accutronica)

Hi Robert,

If you fold very small items in a square of tissue paper they can't escape. This works for balances with hairsprings attached as well, and also restricts unwanted movement.

Regards,

Graham

"Ut tensio, sic vis" - Robert Hooke

Default Re: Demagnetizer - Spend Big Bucks or Little Bucks (By: gmorse)

Quote Originally Posted by gmorse View Post
    Hi Robert,

If you fold very small items in a square of tissue paper they can't escape. This works for balances with hairsprings attached as well, and also restricts unwanted movement.

Regards,

Graham
    Yeah that will work. I also have a little plastic box that snaps closed that works well.

Robert

The one nice thing about a Vigor type demagnetizer is that they added a tool demagnetizer that consists of a 1/2 inch tube with its own coil on the side for tweezers and scewdrivers.

Default Re: Demagnetizer - Spend Big Bucks or Little Bucks (By: dAz57)

Presently and ending soon is a GREEN'S ALTERNATING CURRENT ELECTRIC AUTOMATIC DEMAGNETIZER Type 36. It looks similar to the demagnetizer Accutronica has. (South Bend). Is anyone familiar with this brand? I like the fact that I can demagnetize or, if need be, magnetize a tool to help with assembly. Sounds like that would be a big help.

Default Re: Demagnetizer - Spend Big Bucks or Little Bucks (By: Time2Fish)

You can also magnetize a tool with a magnet. You don't have to get exotic. Find any magnet, place a screwdriver blade on it, slide the blade off of the magnet, and there ya go. It'll probably be strong enough to pick up a paper clip. I bet you have some sort of magnet somewhere, don't you? If not, then kitchen magnets are available danged near everywhere, and they're really cheap. Take apart a dead hard disc drive and get the neodymium magnets out of it - hella strong.

Also, to reiterate keeping parts from entering the Dryer Sock Dimension with an instantaneous demagnetizer, just put the parts in a closable container of some sort, or put something over them. Pill bottle, specimen cup, the little plastic cup that the hoisin sauce came in for your wife's mu shu pork, kleenex, whatever. Yes, the demagnetizer imparts a near-instantaneous velocity of surprising magnitude (I wonder how many Gs of acceleration the screw is subjected to?!?), but the mass of the screw is very small. The resultant force is concentrated, yes, but still very small. Almost anything will work to keep the parts corralled.

Glen
    Last edited by glenhead; 04-04-2017 at 07:20 AM.

Default Re: Demagnetizer - Spend Big Bucks or Little Bucks (By: glenhead)

I don't work on watches, only clocks. Here is what I use to demag various things. Didn't cost anything and is reversible...if I ever want to use it to solder again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	demagnitizer from old soldering gun.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	191.2 KB 
ID:	339040

David
    David S

Default Re: Demagnetizer - Spend Big Bucks or Little Bucks (By: Time2Fish)

Quote Originally Posted by Time2Fish View Post
    Presently and ending soon is a GREEN'S ALTERNATING CURRENT ELECTRIC AUTOMATIC DEMAGNETIZER Type 36. It looks similar to the demagnetizer Accutronica has. (South Bend). Is anyone familiar with this brand? I like the fact that I can demagnetize or, if need be, magnetize a tool to help with assembly. Sounds like that would be a big help.
    I can magnetize things with my South Bend if I want to. The easiest way is to use a magnet like Glen said. I found out how I was magnetizing stuff accidently. I was setting my vaping Mod down to close to them and the magnets that keep the battery door on was magnetizing stuff.

Robert

Default Re: Demagnetizer - Spend Big Bucks or Little Bucks (By: Dave Coatsworth)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Coatsworth View Post
    Again, your best value is going to be a vintage Elimag or similar 'instant' demagnetizer. L&R and Marshall also made them.

A word of warning... There is a modern 'instant' one that is being sold for about $10. It's in a blue case and is fairly small. These do not work well and should be avoided.
    Purchased an Elimag Demagnetizer this morning. Offered $45 and he accepted it.

Default Re: Demagnetizer - Spend Big Bucks or Little Bucks (By: robmack)

Quote Originally Posted by robmack View Post
    Or use a mobile phone app like "Gauss Meter" for Android, which uses the sensor in the phone to detect magnetic field strength.
    I was not aware of that - thanks for the tip.

-Barry

Default Re: Demagnetizer - Spend Big Bucks or Little Bucks (By: bearklaw)

I use to have a giant demagnetizer and it was too strong. Sometimes it would wreck a job by causing me to accidentally mangle a hairspring.

I finally found this wand type. Sorry my camera is on fritz. It has a hand held base with a button and a pencil like extrusion that has small area that demagnetizes.

I can't exactly say why it works soo well other than it's small so I can use it right where I need to. Hairspring mostly of course.

The other thing I found related to this really important is a tiny compass. It's no bigger than the head of an eraser. Or maybe even a little smaller. I have it glued on a tooth pick.

A tiny compass is great because the needle swing is real sensitive. I think larger compasses are less because it takes greater amount of magnetic influence to push/pull them.

I can wave the compass across the hairspring or whatever and observe it's reaction. If it spins wild or fast then I know the object still has magnetism.

It might have come from some kids toy but it's just a little circular air filled compass. The needle wiggles till you hold it steady but does not fall off.

RJ
    The bittery sting-ery the challenge, the sweeter and juicier the reward.
    Conquest->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV0F_XiR48Q

Default Re: Demagnetizer - Spend Big Bucks or Little Bucks (By: RJSoftware)

The compasses that I bought are not that small but they work well. They detect magnetism even when I can't feel the tool sticking.

Hey Accutronica (cool name!)

Where did you get yours in case I need to buy a replacement?

Did it come off of something?

RJ

Quote Originally Posted by Accutronica View Post
    The compasses that I bought are not that small but they work well. They detect magnetism even when I can't feel the tool sticking.
    The bittery sting-ery the challenge, the sweeter and juicier the reward.
    Conquest->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV0F_XiR48Q