Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Demagnetizer - Spend Big Bucks or Little Bucks (By: dAz57)

Hi dAz57,

Quote Originally Posted by dAz57 View Post
    ...The Swiss service centre I worked in used a Greiner demagnetiser, thing looks like a mutant horseshoe set at 45° with a tickle lever on the front, it was very effective too, I believe those are quite pricey.
    Yes, over £830 in the UK.

Regards,

Graham

"Ut tensio, sic vis" - Robert Hooke

Default Re: Demagnetizer - Spend Big Bucks or Little Bucks (By: musicguy)

Quote Originally Posted by musicguy View Post
    Sorry for the dumb question, but do you only degauss parts of watches as
    you service it. Or can you degauss an entire watch?

Rob
    I foolishly highly magnetized my 1924 Waltham wrist watch by wearing it while carrying a laptop bag that used a magnet to hold it closed. (The magnet was a couple of inches from the watch for a lengthy period of time.) The hairspring was so magnetized that the watch was running crazy fast. I demagnetized the entire watch without opening it up and its been running great ever since. I recommend a small compass to test for a magnetic field before and after to be sure you actually removed the magnetism.

I've also removed the magnetism on a 18s pocket watch this way, but it was only slightly magnetized. I'm guessing how well that works depends on the strength of the demagnetizer and how heavy/thick the watch case is.

-Barry

Registered user.

Default Re: Demagnetizer - Spend Big Bucks or Little Bucks (By: Time2Fish)

Quote Originally Posted by Time2Fish View Post
    I will keep looking on ebay. No South Bend or Elimag demagnetizers presently listed. Don't think I want to pursue building my own. My hobbies take up 125% of my time right now. haha
    The two components took two minutes to buy; two minutes to unpack and 5 minutes to assemble. I can understand anyone wanting to buy and use quality tools but decades old coils coated in degrading varnish doesn't tick that box for me, especially when new components can be purchased so cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by dAz57 View Post
    As I said personal preference, I used​ a coil type when I was an apprentice, I found it was a bit iffy, sometimes it would work, other times you had to demagnetise the item several times before it was clear, the Elma demagnetiser works first time, every time and it's fast.

The Swiss service centre I worked in used a Greiner demagnetiser, thing looks like a mutant horseshoe set at 45° with a tickle lever on the front, it was very effective too, I believe those are quite pricey.
    I don't know about other types but mine works great. It's the only one I'll probably ever need. If I ever do need a big one, I'll just build it myself.

Robert

Default Re: Demagnetizer - Spend Big Bucks or Little Bucks (By: Mark UK)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark UK View Post
    The two components took two minutes to buy; two minutes to unpack and 5 minutes to assemble. I can understand anyone wanting to buy and use quality tools but decades old coils coated in degrading varnish doesn't tick that box for me, especially when new components can be purchased so cheap.
    No problem. If it needs it, I'll rewrap the coil. That's the main reason I bought the vintage South Bend, I figured it would be easier to rebuild than the newer ones.

Robert

Registered user.

Default Re: Demagnetizer - Spend Big Bucks or Little Bucks (By: bearklaw)

Quote Originally Posted by bearklaw View Post
    ... I recommend a small compass to test for a magnetic field before and after to be sure you actually removed the magnetism.
    Or use a mobile phone app like "Gauss Meter" for Android, which uses the sensor in the phone to detect magnetic field strength.
    - Robert

Default Re: Demagnetizer - Spend Big Bucks or Little Bucks (By: robmack)

I used the phone app to test for magnetism, I'm not
    sure if it's accurate, but based on the results it
    seems that I should get a demagnetiser.

And again, not to belabor the point, doing an entire watch
    will not hurt the watch even the hairspring etc?

What do you think of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Demagnetizer...wAAOSw7NNT2S~-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INDUSTRIAL-M...MAAOSwhQhY0ta5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-1-2-x-4-1-2-Plate-Demagnetizer-Tool-Dies-Cutters-Single-Phase-600W-/292060180825?hash=item440024b159:g:Tc8AAOSwRgJXkTe 2

Rob

Registered user.

Rob I routinely demagnetise the hairspring as part of a service, and most of the time it is the only part that I do demagnetise as there is very little else in a nickel/brass watch movement that needs it. The occasional spring or bridge screw perhaps just to make them easier to handle. Most magnetised components will have no effect on function/timekeeping due to their size and location, the hairspring though is different due to each coil constantly and rapidly opening/closing which will induce 'eddy' currents in neighboring coils which in turn creates further magnetic fields which effects the performance of the balance.

Quote Originally Posted by musicguy View Post
    I used the phone app to test for magnetism, I'm not
    sure if it's accurate, but based on the results it
    seems that I should get a demagnetiser.

And again, not to belabor the point, doing an entire watch
    will not hurt the watch even the hairspring etc?

What do you think of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Demagnetizer...wAAOSw7NNT2S~-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INDUSTRIAL-M...MAAOSwhQhY0ta5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-1-2-x-4-1-2-Plate-Demagnetizer-Tool-Dies-Cutters-Single-Phase-600W-/292060180825?hash=item440024b159:g:Tc8AAOSwRgJXkTe 2

Rob
    The first one says it's for industrial use - NOT for watches.
    I think I would pass on all of the high powered ones.

Robert

Default Re: Demagnetizer - Spend Big Bucks or Little Bucks (By: Accutronica)

Quote Originally Posted by Accutronica View Post
    The first one says it's for industrial use - NOT for watches.
    Robert
    I did see that, it's that style I was asking about.

Rob

Again, your best value is going to be a vintage Elimag or similar 'instant' demagnetizer. L&R and Marshall also made them.

A word of warning... There is a modern 'instant' one that is being sold for about $10. It's in a blue case and is fairly small. These do not work well and should be avoided.

Registered user.

Default Re: Demagnetizer - Spend Big Bucks or Little Bucks (By: Dave Coatsworth)

I agree with Dave that an instant demagnetizer is best.
    I got hold of a use Grainer demagnetizer some years back and it is great!
    One push of the handle and all magnetism is gone!

Default Re: Demagnetizer - Spend Big Bucks or Little Bucks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-30 at 1.07.21 PM.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	205.5 KB 
ID:	338427Finally googled Elimag and saw what one looked like. I do remember seeing one on ebay without the Elimag nameplate so I want looking for it but the darn thing sold for less than $50. Darn!!!!

Registered user.

Default Re: Demagnetizer - Spend Big Bucks or Little Bucks (By: Dave Coatsworth)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Coatsworth View Post
    Again, your best value is going to be a vintage Elimag or similar 'instant' demagnetizer. L&R and Marshall also made them.

A word of warning... There is a modern 'instant' one that is being sold for about $10. It's in a blue case and is fairly small. These do not work well and should be avoided.
    Yes I bought one of those just to see what it was like, cheaply made, it's a flat version of a coil demagnetiser, you still need to draw the watch away after pressing the button, I'll stick to my Elma demagnetiser.

Good evening, all!

One advantage to the coil-type units: If you NEED to magnetize a tool, it's easy to do, then demagnetize it afterward. Just put the tool into the coil with the current off. Turn it on for a second or two, then turn it off again, without removing the tool. You'll find you've made a nice magnetic pickup tool that can be "erased" later by putting it back into the coil, turning the coil on, slowly withdrawing the tool a few feet away, and then shutting off the power.

Best regards!

Tim Orr