Goal: $300, Received: $115.00 (38%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Is someone screwing around with this mb forum? (By: Tom McIntyre)

I did a screen capture of the fully condensed educational category and posted it on the new board because it could be done with just a copy and paste. You can see it here

http://xf.nawcc.org/index.php?thread...-board.141203/

To generate that view you collapse all the educational forums and change your link for the Message Board to: http://mb.nawcc.org/forumdisplay.php...ical-Education
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Blog Entries

Default Re: Is someone screwing around with this mb forum? (By: musicguy)

Trouble is, I agree with YOU, too - to a point. They do serve a useful purpose, especially for newcomers. But they're also intrusive if you have to see them and scroll past them ALL the time. I'm STRONGLY in favor of making them collapsable. I HOPE that works. Out of the way when you don't need/want them. Readily available when you need them. I DON'T want to make them go away. Another possibility I plan to look into is moving them to another forum - maybe named something like "FAQ's & Permanent Threads" or some such. If you can think of a good name that will be VERY obvious to newcomers, I'm all ears.
    The only truly stupid question is the one you SHOULD have asked - but DIDN'T.

Principal Administrator John Hubby's Avatar

Default Re: Is someone screwing around with this mb forum? (By: Bill Stuntz)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Stuntz View Post
    Trouble is, I agree with YOU, too - to a point. They do serve a useful purpose, especially for newcomers. But they're also intrusive if you have to see them and scroll past them ALL the time. I'm STRONGLY in favor of making them collapsable. I HOPE that works. Out of the way when you don't need/want them. Readily available when you need them. I DON'T want to make them go away. Another possibility I plan to look into is moving them to another forum - maybe named something like "FAQ's & Permanent Threads" or some such. If you can think of a good name that will be VERY obvious to newcomers, I'm all ears.
    Bill, I don't see any problem for the stickies to be collapsible provided there is a catchy title that would somehow intuitively let the users know there is good stuff there to help. Maybe different titles for different forums.

Also, what you propose about moving them to another forum "won't work" except possibly for general info and operations stickies. The majority of stickies are Forum-specific and need to stay that way.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Is someone screwing around with this mb forum? (By: John Hubby)

I'm ALL for being able to collapse them. It may very well be the best solution. If it is, I'll be the first one to cheer! But I'm trying to brainstorm & throw out different ideas. With a little luck, SOMEONE's idea will provide the inspiration for a solution that's better than what we're doing now.

What about a single locked "FAQ's & Permanent Threads" sub-forum inside each affected forum rather than a batch of permanent threads that fills most of the first page? Whatever "Catchy Title" is chosen needs to clearly express what's in there, and be the same in each forum that has one. A FEW forums NEED to be fixed. Most of them don't. The trouble is, it's the most popular forums that need to be fixed. Newcomers need that guidance. Frequent poster's don't - it just slows them down.
    The only truly stupid question is the one you SHOULD have asked - but DIDN'T.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Is someone screwing around with this mb forum? (By: Bill Stuntz)

I am in favor of compiling a list of issues and reasons why they are issues. We are hiring professionals who have already solved almost all the problems we can describe. Once they get going, we can provide feedback on the result. I think that will be a couple of orders of magnitude more efficient.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers

Default Re: Is someone screwing around with this mb forum? (By: Tom McIntyre)

The real problem with any forum (that has been around for
    a long time, and has a lot of senior members) is that new people
    will always ask questions that have already been answered and discussed
    on the forum in detail. You want to say to the new people that they should
    use the search bar before they start a new topic. Or, you
    can pin a few of these popular topics to the top of the forum. I do agree
    being collapsible is a very good idea.

To the people doing the work behind the scenes here, thank you!

As long as you keep this type of forum, and not move
    it to Facebook, I will be happy.

Rob

Blog Entries

Default Re: Is someone screwing around with this mb forum? (By: musicguy)

This forum will never be a Facebook app, but we will be getting users who want to Like it on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, etc. Someone who lives in those places and is comfortable there can easily be our ambassador to the more casual horological community. That will in turn make us more visible to those searching on Google.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers