Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is someone screwing around with this mb forum?

All of a sudden noticed that the governance stuff is now at the bottom of my page , rather than at the top.

Something on my end? or or or

David
    David S

Default Re: Is someone screwing around with this mb forum? (By: David S)

Someone complained about having to scroll past the Governance forum to get to the stuff he liked. So, it seems to have been moved.
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde

Default Re: Is someone screwing around with this mb forum? (By: Steven Thornberry)

Some ONE!!! and it was moved... hmmm, ok.

David
    David S

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Is someone screwing around with this mb forum?

Seems back to normal to me, David. Wait til you try to get used to the new forum software we are experimenting with!!
    Last edited by harold bain; 03-28-2017 at 06:20 PM.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Blog Entries

I moved it as an experiment, partly to see if anyone would notice. It didn't take you long. And because I got tired of scrolling down past it all the time to get to the "good stuff."
    Since we're moving to new MB software soon, I figured why not? It's back now.
    The only truly stupid question is the one you SHOULD have asked - but DIDN'T.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Is someone screwing around with this mb forum? (By: Bill Stuntz)

Bill, did you try collapsing it?
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Default Re: Is someone screwing around with this mb forum? (By: Tom McIntyre)

What I would like to see collapsed are the "permanent threads" at the beginning of each forum. I'm tired of scrolling past those all the time.

Frank

Blog Entries

Yes - but it still "wastes" a vertical inch = 10% of my screen 24/7/365. And almost 25% if it's not collapsed. I'd rather have the stuff I actually USE at the top, and spot-check stuff that's farther down. The last post in any of those forums was >10 days ago. Why should I have to look at them (or just the header) 50 times per day as I wander around looking for problems to fix, etc. Scrolling down once per day should be plenty unless things heat up. Forums that change infrequently and are unlikely to contain urgent posts come pretty low on my priority list.

P.S. People who aren't NAWCC members probably don't have a clue what we're talking about. They can't even SEE the Governance Forums.

Frank, I DON'T disagree - for the same reasons. IMHO there are too many of them AGAIN. SOME of them are useful and maybe worth visiting more than once. And some are ESSENTIAL for people who can't figure out how to post photos - to name one example. But it would be nice if they could be collapsed after people know what's there. I'm hoping we'll be able to make that happen in the new software that we're working on.
    Last edited by Bill Stuntz; 03-28-2017 at 09:37 PM.

Blog Entries

The sticky threads will be collapsible on the new forum. They will show by default to newcomers and we may require some additional activity level to get the permission to collapse them. It is possible they could all collapse to a single button somewhere that says "expand forums" or "expand stickies."

I think Bill is way overstating the scrolling issue since all screens will be touch based in a very few years and scrolling is hardly a problem with a touch display like I currently use.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tom McIntyre View Post
    They will show by default to newcomers and we may require some additional activity level to get the permission to collapse them.

I think Bill is way overstating the scrolling issue since all screens will be touch based in a very few years and scrolling is hardly a problem with a touch display like I currently use.
    So how do you access things that aren't currently visible on your touch screen? I suspect it's equally true if you substitute the word "swipe" for the word "scroll."

P.S. I REALLY don't want to spend several hours per day holding my arm up at shoulder level swiping a desktop touch screen. My arm would probably fall off. That's why I've never even considered buying one.

P.P.S. I LIKE the first idea.
    Last edited by Bill Stuntz; 03-28-2017 at 09:56 PM.

Blog Entries

Using scroll bars requires attention and fine motor skills that stretch the abilities of us elderly users. Swiping on a touch screen just like a telephone is a simple and natural act that can cover a wide area with moments effort. I usually use a gesture to throw the screen up or down and "catch" it with my finger when it gets to where I want it.

I also use a relatively long page length on this message board to avoid selecting next or previous page very often.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers

Default Re: Is someone screwing around with this mb forum? (By: Tom McIntyre)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom McIntyre View Post

Although I have a 23" (diagonal) monitor, the stickies in some forums consume the entire screen and I have to scroll down to see any threads. So what you are saying is that I will need to scroll for the next few years before my desktop computer will be touch based?

Do you know for a fact that stickies will be collapsible with the new software -- and stay collapsed if I log out and back in?

Frank

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Is someone screwing around with this mb forum? (By: FDelGreco)

Frank, you could check it out if you search for XenForo. This appears to be where we are headed soon.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

I'll be the contrarian
    RE: sticky threads
    They are good.

I've been on Forums for many years, and even ran
    one as an administrator webmaster.

People do complain when there are too many sticky threads at the top, but sometimes
    important threads can be lost if not pasted at top of the forum.
    After a while I don't even see them. It's always a learning curve for new people
    finding where the first new post is, but that passes quickly.

Rob

Blog Entries

Default Re: Is someone screwing around with this mb forum? (By: musicguy)

You will be able to collapse the stickeys and all the forums that do not interest you with the coming system. We are actually having people design it who do this for a living.

We may require that you have obtained some status before you can start rearranging your forum view. For sure they will be visible until you have collapsed them.

If you want to see what this kind of behavior is like click on the little chevron at the upper right corner of home page forum listing.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers