Goal: $300, Received: $370.00 (124%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default 1940s TELL Chronograph with Valjoux 22

I am a collector of vintage chronographs and the only thing I could find on this TELL military dial chronograph was that the Valjoux 22 movement is from 1940s, more precisely from 1949; does anybody know more about who manufactured TELL chronographs and for how long?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tell 10.jpg   tell 9.jpg   tell 8.jpg   tell 7.jpg   tell 6.jpg  

tell 5.jpg   tell 4.jpg   tell 3.jpg   tell 2.jpg   tell 1.jpg  

Default Re: 1940s TELL Chronograph with Valjoux 22 (By: Paul Carahan)

This link to Mikrolisk Trade Mark Index may provide some hints or direction to search in.

Default Re: 1940s TELL Chronograph with Valjoux 22 (By: MINI)

thanks, I checked it out and it might be a good place to start as you mention and I think that being linked to Fleurier explains the high quality of my Tell chrono; now, more than this I couldn't find anywhere and I am kind of hungry for more and any hint or info will be greatly appreciated...

Tell probably refers to William Tell the crossbow archer of Swiss legend. The name for watches was owned by a company called SGT who sold it to Henri Sandoz. IN 194- is was SGT Societie Garde Temps.

Default Re: 1940s TELL Chronograph with Valjoux 22 (By: Dr. Jon)

I think you are right about the source of the name even though I have no other manufacturer's info about it; now, I think you are referring to the SAG which was established in 1968 and gobled a lot of names including TELL. The SGT had a short life and fell in 1981 selling all individual names including: Waltham, Sandoz, Elgin, Invicta and so on...

Unfortunately, the watch I have is from the 1940s way before the SGT was founded and I can't find anything about the original TELL company anywhere. Thanks for your info, I hope someone will give me some details on the original company...

Iwrote this up late at nightand while multi tasking, my bad. What I should have wrotten was that SGT bought up several watch companies including the one that owned Tell. This is in Pritchard's entry on Sandoz and the entry inTell refers to Sandoz.

However she did not list Tell as a Sandoz owned trade mark.

Here is the short list of possible owners of the Tell brand

Fabrique De Montres Avia
    Degoumois & Co
    Fabrique de Horologerie Silvia
    Montres Helvetia
    Eugene Vuilleumier SA
    William MAthez SA
    Fleurier Watch Co
    Solvil and Titus

It's in there someplace, but where I can not tell.

Default Re: 1940s TELL Chronograph with Valjoux 22 (By: Dr. Jon)

Dr. Jon: I am finding myself in the same predicament, I think it is a trade mark used by Fleurier as specified in Mikrolisk Trade Mark Index, and that would explain the high quality of the watch and movement. Other than that I am in a foggy environment and can't get anything els eso far; I will dig up more and any more info or hints would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe its a good time to expand your search to Fleurier and see what turns up for them?

Default Re: 1940s TELL Chronograph with Valjoux 22 (By: MINI)

I tried that MINI and it turns out nothing for TELL, it looks like all data on the name is erased for some reason or another, thanks for the hint though...