Goal: $300, Received: $360.00 (120%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Patek philippe geneve (By: bubix99)

Quote Originally Posted by bubix99 View Post
    and yes, is running a little bit and boom, stop
    I own several Pateks and have serviced/repaired a fair number over the years. Unfortunately as some others have mentioned, yours is a Fake. Once you have observed the quality and detail of an original, you can easily spot a fake by looking at the attention to that detail such as rounding of all sharp edges, 22K ball bearing rotors, Gyromax balance etc. The following photo`s should give you a reference point to start with. The photo`s are poor because of the reflections created by the crystal over the movement but should give you a starting point for comparison.

Jerry Kieffer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN2876.jpg   DSCN2883.jpg  

Default Re: Patek philippe geneve (By: bubix99)

Quote Originally Posted by bubix99 View Post
    and yes, is running a little bit and boom, stop

I own several Pateks and have serviced/repaired a fair number over the years. Unfortunately as some others have mentioned, yours is a Fake. Once you have observed the quality and detail of an original, you can easily spot a fake by looking at the attention to that detail such as rounding of all sharp edges, 22K ball bearing rotors, Gyromax balance etc. The following photo`s should give you a reference point to start with. The photo`s are poor because of the reflections created by the crystal over the movement but should give you a starting point for comparison.
    This particular watch is one that I wear occasionally and was handy, however it is certainly not considered a high quality Patek.

Jerry Kieffer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN2876.jpg   DSCN2883.jpg  

Default Re: Patek philippe geneve (By: Jerry Kieffer)

It doesn't look like a Patek Philippe strap either, they don't have genuine Leather written on them let alone in huge letters.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Patek philippe geneve (By: novicetimekeeper)

The difference in the finish of the two movements are like night and day, i was pretty sure it was fake.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: Patek philippe geneve (By: Kevin W.)

RE: "it's rubbish, cheap Chinese movement dressed up, not even worth the effort to open it up."

Just so some of you guy's understand, the OP will probably never post here again.
    They asked for some help and were basically told they are an idiot(by some).
    Obviously most of the responses were not negative, and they all told the truth,
    but if it's someones first post on this forum, it would be nice to hold back a little.
    Not holding back on the truth, but with some of the comments.

If someone took the time to find this forum, then to register for this forum,
    then to post photos of their own watch here, then just maybe they are truly
    interested in watches.

Rob
    Last edited by musicguy; 03-28-2017 at 06:03 AM.

Default Re: Patek philippe geneve (By: musicguy)

Quote Originally Posted by musicguy View Post
    RE: "it's rubbish, cheap Chinese movement dressed up, not even worth the effort to open it up."

Just so some of you guy's understand, the OP will probably never post here again.
    but if it's someones first post on this forum, it would be nice to hold back a little.

interested in watches.

Rob
    I'm always a bit reluctant to trash somebody's family heirloom or tell them their treasured longcase is an appalling marriage of disparate parts.

I hadn't noticed the comments you mentioned, I agree not the best way to proceed.

I looked at quite a few before buying one, I'm in no way an authority on them but even if I were I would tread gently.

I still like the dial by the way. My preference is for fewer subsidiaries as with my eyesight it prevents me telling the time, but I like the engine turned look.

Registered user.
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Patek philippe geneve (By: novicetimekeeper)

The print being off center on the day date subdials is another tell tale sign that this is not genuine.

But that wasn't the original question. The question was what is wrong with it. And that we can't know without being told additional information and I have a feeling we won't get more.

On the other hand, this would be an excellent place to start if the OP is interested in learning watch repair! Hopefully the price of the watch wasn't much and getting a spare should be cheap as well if this one gets ruined in a repair attempt.

interested in watches.

Rob
    Kind of like black belts coming to the school I went to and getting whipped up on by our orange and green belts. lol
    Only one of them that I saw was smart enough and not emotionally broken that said, "sign me up!".

Robert

If someone took the time to find this forum, then to register for this forum, then to post photos of their own watch here, then just maybe they are truly
    interested in watches.

Rob

I guess I take a different view - if the person is truly interested in watches, they should understand that fakes like this are not acceptable - period. If the person is truly interested in learning about horology, they would not let the responses here put them off. It's clearly a fake, and in the event that the person who posted isn't already aware of that, they should maybe try to get their money back - likely wishful thinking on a couple of points, but maybe he really did think it was real.

As for service, I personally would not touch this watch as I don't work on fakes - there are more than enough legit watches out there to keep me very busy. There's only one tool needed for these in my opinion:

Cheers, Al

Default Re: Patek philippe geneve (By: Al J)

Quote Originally Posted by Al J View Post
    I guess I take a different view - if the person is truly interested in watches, they should understand that fakes like this are not acceptable - period. If the person is truly interested in learning about horology, they would not let the responses here put them off. It's clearly a fake, and in the event that the person who posted isn't already aware of that, they should maybe try to get their money back - likely wishful thinking on a couple of points, but maybe he really did think it was real.

As for service, I personally would not touch this watch as I don't work on fakes - there are more than enough legit watches out there to keep me very busy. There's only one tool needed for these in my opinion:

Cheers, Al
    Move on a century or so and your hammer will have given the remaining fakes a value.

We see fake English pocket watches all the time, they were being made by the Swiss and the French to suggest a London origin and achieve a better price. I doubt all those that bought them were fooled but they hoped to fool others.

Bit like 30 hour longcase masquerading as 8 day, the owner may have just wanted to deceive their neighbour.

Registered user.
    Blog Entries

Cheers, Al
    On the other hand, when you are starting out, ruining something of value can be one of the primary concerns. What better place to start than a fake?

I can see why you don't consider them worth your time.

Cheers, Al
    Al
    Will have to second your comments.

I try to be as polite as possible when dealing with the public. However when it comes to fakes, I prefer knowledgeable people be as blunt as possible so I do not forget.
    As I am sure with some of us, I have been scammed at least once that I would admit to and would have preferred to be offended. Some of the better quality Rolex fakes out of Hong Kong have used original Rolex cases, dials and hands with a $.99 junk digital movement. So it is very important to be careful on expensive watches.

Jerry Kieffer

PS
    Sorry about my previous double posting, but could not figure out how to delete one.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Patek philippe geneve (By: Jerry Kieffer)

Nothing wrong with being honest in a nice way. I have been on this mb quite a few years, people were treated worse in the past. The poster could have done some research on his own as well, the internet is a good place to learn things.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: Patek philippe geneve (By: Kevin W.)

Thank you so much for the opinions and i know he was fake was obviosly, and nice watch @Jerry Kieffer, the problem is, a wheel jump from his position and in a service they told me "Reparation cost 40 or 50 $".

Default Re: Patek philippe geneve

I do realize that some of us may occasionally come across as slightly less than diplomatic, but overall I think we're an empathetic bunch. And I suppose one could take my "Nobody here would..." (Pay a Patek price for the watch.) as a bit of a slap, but it was not meant that way. I apologize if it was found offensive.

Everyone knows that we get a fair number of newbies who only come to gather information from perceived experts with as little effort as possible. Even that's OK, but it can get frustrating to some. This poster seemed OK, and was treated with courtesy for the most part for most of the thread. But it was rather obvious, even after the first few responses, that the OP was unlikely to engage us further, and ask any more questions no matter what. It became a discussion among us only exclusively.

When it comes to dealing with fakes, where the difference in value can be immense, it's good to give a little tough love, IMO. If defrauded, at least it gives them ammunition to go after the perpetrator, if at all possible. And while the idea of answering original question, without going off on tangents, sounds good on paper, the importance to the OP, and the world, knowing this watch wasn't a real Patek, seemed all-important.

There is also some possibility, albeit remote, that the poster was looking to perceived experts in order to find out just how expert they are, and if a watch like that might pass muster in order to produce a few. A "test market" of sorts. One never knows. And I doubt that we shall be any different. Cheers.