Goal: $300, Received: $225.00 (75%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Patek philippe geneve (By: Jerry Kieffer)

This will be my last post on this topic....

First, yes people should absolutely be told that their watch is a fake.
    Second, hopefully the buyer doesn't turn around and sell
    the watch, it probably should be destroyed(or engraved
    on the back that it's not real). I get it.

BUT, it's how you say it that makes you someone they(or I) would like
    to continue the conversation with. You may not know it but you
    are the ambassadors for current, and future watch collectors.
    Not people necessarily interested in learning about horology, but they
    own a few watches that they want more information on.
    Maybe I'm in the wrong place, sorry. I don't
    think we differ on our feelings about fake watches, it's
    how you talk to new people.

Rob

Default Re: Patek philippe geneve (By: musicguy)

Quote Originally Posted by karlmansson View Post
    On the other hand, when you are starting out, ruining something of value can be one of the primary concerns. What better place to start than a fake?

I can see why you don't consider them worth your time.
    Hi Karl,

I see your point, but for me this is unequivocal. Fakes are not only illegal, but the industry is often supporting organized crime. Many people consider them "harmless" but I don't personally. Fakes of all kinds (not just watches) are out there in droves, and good people are cheated out of their hard earned money daily. There are even problems in some countries with fake medications, fake parts used on aircraft, fake electronics down to the component level that have been found in military jets and weapons. The issue of fakes goes way beyond watches, and I personally don't want anything to do with them in any way.

There are plenty of cheaper watches out there that can be used for practice that are not fake, and don't support the fake industry.

Cheers, Al

Quote Originally Posted by musicguy View Post
    This will be my last post on this topic....

First, yes people should absolutely be told that their watch is a fake.
    Second, hopefully the buyer doesn't turn around and sell
    the watch, it probably should be destroyed(or engraved
    on the back that it's not real). I get it.

BUT, it's how you say it that makes you someone they(or I) would like
    to continue the conversation with. You may not know it but you
    are the ambassadors for current, and future watch collectors.
    Not people necessarily interested in learning about horology, but they
    own a few watches that they want more information on.
    Maybe I'm in the wrong place, sorry. I don't
    think we differ on our feelings about fake watches, it's
    how you talk to new people.

Rob
    Hi Rob,

I do understand your point, and being polite is a good thing. However if you have run across the sort of people that commonly post fake watches on watch collecting sites, some tend to be quite stubborn or clueless in understanding that the watch they have is not real, and that fakes are unacceptable. Quite frankly, sometimes you need to be rather blunt to get the point across, and I don't see anything in this thread yet that crosses the line, at least in my opinion. The OP is back here now saying that someone wants $40 or $50 to fix this, so he is apparently still looking at getting it fixed in order to wear it.

IMO the only thing worse than someone unknowingly buying/wearing a fake watch, is someone knowingly doing it.

I don't consider myself a collector even though I have a "collection" but I am a watchmaker and this is how I make my living. If you have ever had to break the news to someone that their watch is fake, trust me it's not a nice thing to have to do. After a few times seeing the look on people's faces...well let's just say my tolerance for fakes and those who wear/sell them is non-existent.

Cheers, Al

Default Re: Patek philippe geneve

True Al ............and I didn't see that the OP posted that they found someone to repair it,
    and knew it was a fake.

Quote Originally Posted by bubix99 View Post
    Thank you so much for the opinions and i know he was fake was obviosly
    Rob

Registered user.
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Patek philippe geneve (By: Al J)

Quote Originally Posted by Al J View Post
    Hi Karl,

I see your point, but for me this is unequivocal. Fakes are not only illegal, but the industry is often supporting organized crime. Many people consider them "harmless" but I don't personally. Fakes of all kinds (not just watches) are out there in droves, and good people are cheated out of their hard earned money daily. There are even problems in some countries with fake medications, fake parts used on aircraft, fake electronics down to the component level that have been found in military jets and weapons. The issue of fakes goes way beyond watches, and I personally don't want anything to do with them in any way.

There are plenty of cheaper watches out there that can be used for practice that are not fake, and don't support the fake industry.
    I see your point. If it's any consolation, a rookie with a "watch repair kit" from eBay can be just as efficient as a hammer .

Default Re: Patek philippe geneve (By: karlmansson)

All's well that ends well. I'm glad that he found someone to fix it for a decent price. Maybe it's just an hour-wheel that's off-plane, and not meshing properly?

That said, it would have saved a lot of hassle if the OP had just said that he knew it was a fake when he posted. I believe he started with "I have a Patek Philippe..." with a PP model reference number. And so it goes...Cheers.

Default Re: Patek philippe geneve (By: MrRoundel)

Quote Originally Posted by MrRoundel View Post
    All's well that ends well. I'm glad that he found someone to fix it for a decent price. Maybe it's just an hour-wheel that's off-plane, and not meshing properly?

That said, it would have saved a lot of hassle if the OP had just said that he knew it was a fake when he posted. I believe he started with "I have a Patek Philippe..." with a PP model reference number. And so it goes...Cheers.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Patek philippe geneve (By: novicetimekeeper)

Interesting about a week or so ago. Someone was trying to sell a fake Patek locally.
    . I reported it and the listing was removed. Interesting to note the seller knew it was fake, and was going to pass it off as genuine.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: Patek philippe geneve (By: Kevin W.)

Not Pateks but I had a couple of Rolex and a couple of Omega fakes this week. The Rolex owners knew they were fakes and weren't worried. One was Chinese with incabloc. The other was a Citizen from the 82 stable., stamped Miyota.

The Omega owners thought their watches were real. Both Chinese made.

Default Re: Patek philippe geneve (By: roughbarked)

Quote Originally Posted by roughbarked View Post
    Not Pateks but I had a couple of Rolex and a couple of Omega fakes this week. The Rolex owners knew they were fakes and weren't worried. One was Chinese with incabloc. The other was a Citizen from the 82 stable., stamped Miyota.

The Omega owners thought their watches were real. Both Chinese made.
    I had a friend who used to quote his father every now and then when it comes to such things. He said that his dad always said, "Whatever can be fixed (rigged) will be fixed." Put enough potential profit in the equation and criminal genius will get to work on snagging a piece of it.