Goal: $300, Received: $370.00 (124%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Aaron Willard Jr. Striking Banjo Clock weights (By: Andy Dervan)

Andy -- I have seen the small weights for alarm - I have one myself -- but not sure whether the thinner one will drive the strike mechanism.

Ralph and Novice - thanks for the information -- I'll do some more digging - it's getting interesting. I'll report back whether I can find something. You guys are such a help - and so willing to share your knowledge, which I appreciate immensly.

Default Re: Aaron Willard Jr. Striking Banjo Clock weights (By: David D'Apice)

Great fortune - here's the Burleigh Glass --- depicting Rowes Wharf. That mystery is nearly solved -- I'm hoping to find a period illustration that probably looks pretty similar!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2017-03-26 at 8.33.44 PM.jpg  

I think I have seen engravings periodically on that online auction site. Not sure if there are any listings right now, but if you're diligent, you'll likely find something. Happy hunting!

Default Re: Aaron Willard Jr. Striking Banjo Clock weights (By: PatH)

The Z Gates banjo is in fact in the Horology Americana book. page 68. Whew... memory ok.

Ralph

Default Re: Aaron Willard Jr. Striking Banjo Clock weights (By: Ralph)

I found the 1983 Sotheby's catalog that has a picture of the Z Gates clock on it's cover. Alas, it does not say anymore in the description other then a scene of Boston Harbor.

Ralph
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170403_154556.jpg  

Rowes wharf really does look different today with the big arch and modern buildings, however one thing hasn't changed, you can still see sailing ships there. The Stad Amsterdam berths there most years and this year the Europa will return there.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Default Re: Aaron Willard Jr. Striking Banjo Clock weights (By: novicetimekeeper)

Very nice Willard timepiece of the striker variety there, David! Love those wonderful original old Boston Harbor/Rowes Wharf tablets.

Default Re: Aaron Willard Jr. Striking Banjo Clock weights (By: JDCKent)

I really wonder if the glasses in this clock are the work of John Ritto Penniman. I know he favored geometric lines, and have read before that he featured many other architectural scenes in his glass work. This is Penniman's Burning of Boston's Exchange Coffee House from 1818:

Thanks Ralph --- that's some digging -- I'm still digging myself --- got views of Rowes Wharf and Chatman Street, seen a few close calls, but nothing with the curvy brick walls. I remember this clock in the book -- it's gorgeous too!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JDCKent View Post
    I really wonder if the glasses in this clock are the work of John Ritto Penniman. I know he favored geometric lines, and have read before that he featured many other architectural scenes in his glass work. This is Penniman's Burning of Boston's Exchange Coffee House from 1818:
    JDC --- you may be onto something! ---

Wow -- I've never seen that before

If you compare your clock tablets to the manner in which the "Coffee Exchange" was painted, the vantage point with off-center placement of the street and buildings (taller structure in more of a direct view), similar color palate, the year of 1818, coupled with the well-known fact that Penniman was painting so many of these timepiece tablets for Aaron Jr. and other makers in Boston and other cities (e.g. Curtis in Concord), I think it is more than likely that the examples in your clock are also by his hand.

Default Re: Aaron Willard Jr. Striking Banjo Clock weights (By: JDCKent)

I would agree with that! 100%.