Goal: $300, Received: $80.00 (27%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Picked up a Waltham Vanguard 1892! (By: AllanB)

Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Well after having blown my watch budget on the Vanguard I spotted on ebay a badly described 1892 Royal Htg in a 14 Ct GF engine turned case, but for sale here in UK (hence no additional tax etc). Having this afternoon won the watch for the same as I paid before tax for the Vanguard I will now have to find a suitable excuse to justify to my wife this over expenditure of my hobby budget.
    Wow, very nice catch AllanB!

I don't know too much about the model 92s but I do know the hunting case model is pretty rare. As for justifying the purchase, ease your good lady's mind by claiming it's an investment...and then quickly change the subject

Please do post some pics when it arrives.

Default Re: Picked up a Waltham Vanguard 1892! (By: Paul Raposo)

According to the lookup ( http://nawccinfo.nawcc.org/LookupSN.php ) there were 2500 1892 grade "Royal" made in HC. That is not rare in the sense we usually use the word here - although to find one that is still in a usable HC case, does still qualify as "a good find" in my book.

Registered user.

Default Re: Picked up a Waltham Vanguard 1892! (By: topspin)

Thanks Topspin,

I too looked up the numbers of 1892 "Royals" but from the " Ehrhardt" grey book as I have not yet mastered looking up numbers of runs on the nawcc site. If correct, I've counted 2000 Of's were made as well as the 2500 Htg you mention.

I have taken a chance on this purchase as the photo of the mechanism was not very clear, but clear enough to show that it was a Royal and complete, and that there does not appear to be any "other" screw marks on the case. Fortunately the mechanism serial number was given and verifies the watch grade. I will know soon enough when the watch arrives -- later this week.

A big decider in taking the chance on this 1892 "Royal" was the fact that it was here in UK and potentially would be more affordable than those that I have recently seen sold on ebay in USA (last one was a mechanism without case).

Now I just need to find the next two watches on my list --a 17j Vanguard and a Riverside but hopefully nothing will come along until late summer as only by then will I be able to convince my wife that it is a better investment the the etenity ring she wants!!!!
    Allan

If its the 1892 Royal that I saw then its a nice two tone one. I declined to bid because I only collect 16s watches. Nice find, and only one of 2500.

Registered user.

Default Re: Picked up a Waltham Vanguard 1892! (By: rolandantrobus)

Thanks Rolandantrobus,

It is two tone. I was under the impression that all of the 1892 "Royal and Riverside" mechanisms are two tone, is this incorrect?
    I am fortunate to already own two tone versions of the "Crescent Street" and a "PSB" and the "Royal" will make a nice addition to the display cabinet.

Allan

Thanks Rolandantrobus,

It is two tone. I was under the impression that all of the 1892 "Royal and Riverside" mechanisms are two tone, is this incorrect? ...
    I don't believe that I have ever seen a two-tone 1892 Riverside. Here is my Riverside, for example.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	92_Riverside_m.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	187.3 KB 
ID:	337936  
    Jerry Treiman, NAWCC member since 1971
    Charter member of Pocket Horology Chapter 174

Default Re: Picked up a Waltham Vanguard 1892! (By: Jerry Treiman)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Treiman View Post
    I don't believe that I have ever seen a two-tone 1892 Riverside. Here is my Riverside, for example.
    The Nickel PSB is the one I have my doubts as to its existence. I won't be so bold as to say they don't exist, but I've certainly never encountered one.

Registered user.

Default Re: Picked up a Waltham Vanguard 1892! (By: ben_hutcherson)

Jerry,
    Lovely Riverside, definately on my wish list but I suspect outside my budget, certainly for the rest of this year!!
    I made my comment about two tone as I believe the last one I saw for sale on ebay was a two tone, but my recollection may well be wrong.

Ben,
    Last night on another thread I posted photos of my Nickel PSB but, as stated there, from the close up shots, taken by my friend who has the watch for servicing and cleaning, I'm wondering if the two tone has been cleaned off in some earlier cleaning process.
    Allan

Default Re: Picked up a Waltham Vanguard 1892!

Originally Posted by AllanB
    "Well after having blown my watch budget on the Vanguard I spotted on ebay a badly described 1892 Royal Htg in a 14 Ct GF engine turned case....."

Pics of my 1892 Royal, two tone movement, 17j, coin silver hunting case.

One of my favorite Waltham's - it gets worn on Sundays quite often.

Richard

Name:	Dial 2 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	227.2 KB 
ID:	338085   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01587 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	185.9 KB 
ID:	338086   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01591 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	356.6 KB 
ID:	338087   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Movement 3.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	326.3 KB 
ID:	338093   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Movement 2.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	331.2 KB 
ID:	338092  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Movement 1.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	324.6 KB 
ID:	338091   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inside Back Case - Copy.jpg 
Size:	156.9 KB 
ID:	338088   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inside Case.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	338089   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Model_1892_Royal_Grade_Production.jpg 
Size:	121.3 KB 
ID:	338090  
    Last edited by grtnev; 03-28-2017 at 12:00 PM.

Registered user.

Hi All,
    My 1892 Royal arrived today and I am very pleased with my acquisition. So much so that I have even shown it to my wife and explained how good an investment it is (For the kids as I will not be selling!!) I attach photos of it as received. I have got it running and so far it is keeping good time. Once it runs down I will not rewind it until I have had it serviced.

The case is a 14ct -25 year Illinois "Commander" No 165103 and has no rubbed areas. It has a nice, fine, engine turned finish with a vacant cartouche on the front. The hinges are all closing correctly and holding. The mechanism #7579112 is as shown --a delight.
    Given that the case is so good and the mechanism is pre 1900 I wonder if the Commander case is original to the movement. Perhaps it is a replacement. I can not see any other screw marks on the rim. Any ideas? The case screws are needing reset as the mechanism is a tad loose.
    The dial and hands are in good fettle as shown (other than the seconds hand ). Hopefully the hands are correct for this watch.
    I have other 18s Htg mechanisms -mainly 1883 but all in OF cases this is my first 18 proper hunter.
    Allan

Name:	P1020991.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	324.2 KB 
ID:	338100   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020985.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	152.8 KB 
ID:	338099   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020986.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	189.1 KB 
ID:	338101  

Nice one Richard, I love the Waltham coin silver cases. Only ever had one. Yours looks fantastic.

Wow, that is a real beauty AllanB! The whole watch presents really well, congrats on a great find

You guys are making me crave a hunter case watch.

Default Re: Picked up a Waltham Vanguard 1892! (By: Paul Raposo)

Great watches!

I wish it was easy to find nice Hunter cases for reasonable prices, but
    I must be dreaming.

Rob

Default Re: Picked up a Waltham Vanguard 1892! (By: ben_hutcherson)

Quote Originally Posted by ben_hutcherson View Post
    The Nickel PSB is the one I have my doubts as to its existence. I won't be so bold as to say they don't exist, but I've certainly never encountered one.
    Ben, I think one was depicted on 149 many years ago - you might go back and search

Smile Re: Picked up a Waltham Vanguard 1892! (By: AllanB)

... The case is a 14ct -25 year Illinois "Commander" No 165103 and has no rubbed areas. It has a nice, fine, engine turned finish with a vacant cartouche on the front. The hinges are all closing correctly and holding. The mechanism #7579112 is as shown --a delight.
    Given that the case is so good and the mechanism is pre 1900 I wonder if the Commander case is original to the movement. Perhaps it is a replacement. I can not see any other screw marks on the rim. Any ideas? ...
    Nice watch!

The Illinois Commander cases changed from 20-year to 25-year between 1895 and 1899, so it certainly could be an original case.

Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Registered user.

Default Re: Picked up a Waltham Vanguard 1892! (By: Kent)

Kent,

Thank you for the adverts and advice.
    Last night when exploring past threads I found one dealing with another Royal and it was in a case identical to mine so that made me believe that mine is most probably correct for the movement.
    The seller has also contacted me to say that she was given the watch when she was a child by a neighbour whoes husband had passed away and had been a watch collector. Her father confiscated it and put it away and, some 45 years later, it has only come to light when clearing his house. This probably explains its excellent condition and also that it needs a service!!

Allan