Goal: $300, Received: $30.00 (10%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default trouble with pm function

when I compose a PM, the space bar doesn't function. It runs all the words togetherlikethis. Can you help?

Default Re: trouble with pm function (By: ANDY YALE)

Andy,
    Check your limit on incoming and out going messages. That what I have problems with . I think it is very small Like 75 each. You may hit your limit on outgoing messages
    Jim Haney

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: trouble with pm function (By: ANDY YALE)

I don't know the cure for this, but if you "go advanced", it disappears.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: trouble with pm function (By: harold bain)

usually press return and backspace returns it to use.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Blog Entries

Default Re: trouble with pm function (By: novicetimekeeper)

One of the good things about the new Xenforo Message Board we are exploring is that the PM facility is really useful.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Blog Entries

Default Re: trouble with pm function (By: Tom McIntyre)

Yeah, but we're going to need to stop calling them PM's. In XenForo they're called "Conversations." I especially like that they're effectively "Private Threads" and can include attachments. It's always bugged me that vB's PM's are limited & so different from posts, with no way to include photos except via URL to an external photo site. I do not have and do not want an account at PhotoBucket, etc.
    The only truly stupid question is the one you SHOULD have asked - but DIDN'T.

Default Re: trouble with pm function (By: Bill Stuntz)

That would be a big step forward to be able to attach pictures.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Blog Entries

Default Re: trouble with pm function

Quote Originally Posted by novicetimekeeper View Post
    That would be a big step forward to be able to attach pictures.
    I agree! That's been a PITA. I also like that conversations are viewed exactly like threads - EASY to look back at previous messages while composing responses without having to quote the previous messages. That gets unwieldy FAST.

As we work on developing/configuring the new MB software, I'm liking it more and more. I'm SURE we're going in the right direction - but we'll have to put up with the "BIG picture" problem for a bit longer. The conversion is a HUGE project, especially since we don't want to lose any of our million posts.

Here's a screen shot of a photo-heavy post in XenForo:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XF Screen shot.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	123.4 KB 
ID:	337621
    Clicking on any of those larger thumbnails enlarges the photos, similar to the way it works now.
    Last edited by Bill Stuntz; 03-25-2017 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Stuntz View Post
    Yeah, but we're going to need to stop calling them PM's. In XenForo they're called "Conversations." I especially like that they're effectively "Private Threads" and can include attachments. It's always bugged me that vB's PM's are limited & so different from posts, with no way to include photos except via URL to an external photo site. I do not have and do not want an account at PhotoBucket, etc.
    If you need to send pictures with a private message, you may as well just use email for this.
    "Conversations??" What are threads called?
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Blog Entries

Default Re: trouble with pm function (By: harold bain)

Threads, as far as I know. But PM's=Conversations work exactly like normal posts/threads, not stand-alone messages. Another good point - others can be invited into a Conversation, and they can see the whole thing in context. MUCH easier that trying to quote other PM's, etc. to get up to speed. IMHO, it's a HUGE improvement over vB's PM system.

Yeah, but you are trying to fix a problem I never realized we had. It's easy enough to add extra people to the list of who receives your PM's if needed.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Blog Entries

With pm's you must adopt the bad habit of quoting everything that went before and then getting those nasty looking indents. Each of the posts is a separate document and it is generally a mess. I try to discourage people from sending me pm's on this site by making my email freely available. I think that has caused FaceBook to delete my account when someone was able to pretend to be me.
    Last edited by Tom McIntyre; 03-25-2017 at 06:24 PM. Reason: spell
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Blog Entries

Default Re: trouble with pm function (By: Tom McIntyre)

It's really just an observation of something that's MUCH better in XF than vB. I agree with Tom. But it's a problem we don't NEED to fix - XF's already fixed it. The only difference I'm aware of is that conversations are private, and threads are public. Otherwise, they behave the same way. And I think you know how much inconsistencies bug me. Why should vB's PM's behave differently than regular posts w/ differrent editor screen, complex tool bars with a bunch of tools nobody ever uses, no attachments, etc.? If you know how to post in XF, you know how to PM - there's nothing new to learn except to click "Start a Conversation" instead of "Private Message" when you're looking at a user.

Bill, you were not around the last time we went from one form of message board to another, but you can see some of the results with missing pictures, missing posts, duplicate first posts, etc., so you will have to excuse my lack of enthusiasm to do this again.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Blog Entries

You're right, I wasn't here yet - but I'm aware of the problem. We're working VERY hard to be SURE we don't lose any information in the conversion. There's an add-on available to check all existing posts for external photos, convert them into in-house attachments, remove dead photo links, and to automatically import external photos that are posted in the future. The missing photo problem should go away - except for photos that have already disappeared from external photo hosting sites.

There's enought similarity between XF & vB that I don't think it should be very difficult to adjust to the new system. The biggest things I see are that the Camera icon opens the user's photo album rather than uploading photos from their PC. "Upload a File" does that. Drag/Drop & Copy/Paste work for inserting photos, too - which isn't true in vB's editor. The "Insert Image" tool only works for external photos. I'm hoping to make it more consistent with what we're doing now, but I'm not sure I can.

There's no "Reply with Quote" button, either. Highlight the text in a post & a "Reply" button magically appears that does the quote. I think it's even better than the way it works in vB for replying to a phrase or sentence rather than the entire post. It'll be easier to quote ONLY the relevant text without quoting the photos or extraneous text, too. We have too many threads with multiple copies of the photos because "Reply with Quote" quotes the entire post including the photos. Most users don't bother to delete the photos or insignificant text from the quote before submitting their reply.

There's also no "Reply" or "Reply to Thread" button. The last "Post" in each thread is an already open editor window just waiting for the user to type in it. Different, but equally good, I think.
    Last edited by Bill Stuntz; 03-25-2017 at 05:30 PM.