Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Intrinsic value

Default Re: Intrinsic value (By: roughbarked)

I don't particularly care much for collecting. I just love taking something that isn't working and restoring it to it's former glory.

Robert

Default Re: Intrinsic value

Quote Originally Posted by Accutronica View Post
    I don't particularly care much for collecting. I just love taking something that isn't working and restoring it to it's former glory.

Robert
    I'm much awaiting your accotronica video.
    The only reason things collect here is that people don't come back to pick them up. I am happy to restore whatever they want.
    Just today I replaced the weight post and weight for an FHF908. Though I knew the watchmaker who must have simply removed the weight and told him to wind it manually, decades past as there was only his repair number in the back. It was brought to me and the customer told me the story I could easily read when I opened the back. Peter was a capable watchmaker in his day. At three months into my apprenticeship I was passed off onto him while my master took three months with his new wife. Dementia made him forget to replace weights or at least return them to the customer. I'm seeing this watch probably forty years after he had the initial problem. Probably because I have fixed several of this customer's watches and he does need to have mechanical watch he can see. His eyes are failing and he uses a spot welder a lot. So he also needs a mechanical watch.
    Last edited by roughbarked; 04-13-2017 at 07:43 AM.

Default Re: Intrinsic value (By: roughbarked)

Quote Originally Posted by roughbarked View Post
    I'm much awaiting your accotronica video.
    The only reason things collect here is that people don't come back to pick them up. I am happy to restore whatever they want.
    Just today I replaced the weight post and weight for an FHF908. Though I knew the watchmaker who must have simply removed the weight and told him to wind it manually, decades past as there was only his repair number in the back. It was brought to me and the customer told me the story I could easily read when I opened the back. Peter was a capable watchmaker in his day. At three months into my apprenticeship I was passed off onto him while my master took three months with his new wife. Dementia made him forget to replace weights or at least return them to the customer. I'm seeing this watch probably forty years after he had the initial problem. Probably because I have fixed several of this customer's watches and he does need to have mechanical watch he can see. His eyes are failing and he uses a spot welder a lot. So he also needs a mechanical watch.
    I'm not planning on making any videos.
    Maybe if you make customers pay in advance of the repair you won't have so many not coming to get their watches. I have a Seiko automatic to service after I catch up on my Accutron's. I have my 214 apart as far as the manual shows. It doesn't show removing the wheels. I think I'll remove the wheels tonight and get it all cleaned up and ready to put back together and then see if the coils are good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	214-31.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	199.2 KB 
ID:	340016   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	214-18.jpg 
Size:	204.8 KB 
ID:	340014   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	214-1.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	223.9 KB 
ID:	340013   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	214-28.jpg 
Size:	200.6 KB 
ID:	340015