Goal: $300, Received: $125.00 (42%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Repair Broken leaves

Hello,

One of cats tipped over a wood works movement mounted on a stand and it fell over and broke most of the pinion leaves on escape wheel arbor and I am wondering how to repair/replace the damaged pinion leaves?

Andy Dervan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Escape wheel arbor & broken pinion leaves2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	337307  

Default Re: Repair Broken leaves (By: Andy Dervan)

If you have the pieces you might be able to glue them back on. maybe use rubber bands made for dental braces as band clamps. Fresh breaks usually mate up pretty well. (I'm speaking from experience on antique furniture repair, not experience on wooden pinion repair, so take this with a grain of salt)
    The man who knows how to make it work will always have a job, The man who knows why it makes it work will always be his boss.

Default Re: Repair Broken leaves (By: BLKBEARD)

Breaks are 'fresh', but not 'clean', because there are dents besides the breaks. That imply some degree of deformation which would hinder a perfect match in case the detached leaves were recovered, I fear...

Aitor
    It's all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever. Steiner

Default Re: Repair Broken leaves (By: ballistarius)

I have had very good results casting new pinion leaves using Knead a Mold or modeling clay to make a mold of good teeth, and casting new ones with epoxy.

I can't tell from the picture, but are there good leaves remaining? If so the casting is straight forward, and I have yet to have one fail.

I am attaching some photos from a recent repair.

If you would like I could add some detailed information about how I complete the repair.

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05615.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	337350   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05624.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	212.8 KB 
ID:	337351   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05625.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	151.4 KB 
ID:	337352  

Default Re: Repair Broken leaves (By: Jim Burghart)

Hello Jim,

I believe the pinion has either 8 or 9 leaves and 3 leaves are unbroken. In theory new leaves could be cast.

I have not really run this movement, but I would really like to have it whole again if possible.

Are you a Cog Counter member?

Andy Dervan

Not yet I have been meaning to join for a long time, but I keep forgetting. I am retiring in 6 months and stepping up my clock obsession.

Default Re: Repair Broken leaves (By: Jim Burghart)

Hi Jim,

It only costs $ 5 year; we have a picnic meeting before Syracuse Regional and it is great opportunity to meet 100 meeting and see a lot of unusual clocks and movements.

Andy

I sent my dues in today I went for the whole $10 value pack too.

Looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Dervan View Post
    Hello,

One of cats tipped over a wood works movement mounted on a stand and it fell over and broke most of the pinion leaves on escape wheel arbor and I am wondering how to repair/replace the damaged pinion leaves?

Andy Dervan
    Just to put another option on the table, you could contact Don Bruno http://www.torringtonclockco.com/ and have a new part made. It can sometimes be tricky to remount the escape wheel to run true so if the molded repair works that will be great. Be sure to let us see the results.

RC

Registered user. Troy Livingston's Avatar

Default Re: Repair Broken leaves (By: R. Croswell)

Andy,

If you have the pieces then I would suggest gluing them back in place. The breaks are generally quite clean and I have had excellent results with a good 2 hour epoxy although I am becoming more fond of hide glue as this is reversible if things go wrong and cleanup of the excess glue is a snap. Old Brown Glue requires no glue pot and keeps for ages in the refrigerator. Glue one or two at a time, you want to keep the leaf being glued as close to vertical as possible so it doesn't creep before the adhesive sets. If you do this I find clamping is not required. Rubber bands can be frustrating to use as any slight difference in tension will cause the tooth to shift as the glue sets. Test fit your pieces and do a dry run before applying the glue. This also works quite well on teeth, I have a small vise on a rotating base that I use to hold the wheel. Repairs done in this manner are strong and nearly invisible.

Troy

Default Re: Repair Broken leaves (By: Troy Livingston)

Hi Troy,

I believe pieces are gone, movement got tipped over and I did not see for a day or two and if there were any tiny pieces around the cats would have delighted themselves further by distributing them.

Andy

Andy:

You cast cast new leaves, making the mold from the unbroken leaves. Phil Gregory taught a field suitcase workshop where we did that. Try contacting Phil and he could tell you whether it could be done on your specific pinion.

Frank

Registered user. Troy Livingston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Dervan View Post
    Hi Troy,

I believe pieces are gone, movement got tipped over and I did not see for a day or two and if there were any tiny pieces around the cats would have delighted themselves further by distributing them.

Andy

Andy,

That's a shame but perhaps not a shock after a closer look at your photo. Almost looks like there may have been some chewing involved (?) At least the breaks have damage that seems atypical. In that case it is time for a proper repair, fit a new pinion or pinion/arbor complete.

Troy