Goal: $300, Received: $30.00 (10%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Where to look for a thesis on positional accuracy & the corrections made to correct

Title says it all but I'll try a recent example.

I have a clock / watch that runs slowly in the preferred position. How is that lessened while keeping the balance with other positions?.

I'm mostly dealing with salvage pieces-bottom feeding the Bay. So new parts all around will not be happening. But parts swaps-rotation/ adjustment etc??

Thanks!

Registered user.

Default Re: Where to look for a thesis on positional accuracy & the corrections made to corre (By: Whereisitat)

I think you will find most answers to your question in the book "Practical Watch Adjusting" by de Carle.

Default Re: Where to look for a thesis on positional accuracy & the corrections made to corre (By: Skutt50)

htpp.//adjustingvintagewatches.com has a real good explanation

Default Re: Where to look for a thesis on positional accuracy & the corrections made to corre (By: geo.ulrich)

Thanks, geo.ulrich, for the shout out.

I would second the recommendation for DeCarle's book.

A great and inexpensive place to start is Kleinlein's book "Rules and Practice for Adjusting Watches." It is practical, and he speaks the truth.

A more modern book with Jendritzki's "Watch Adjusting." This book is superior but rare and expensive.

If you're a NAWCC member, you can check these out from their library (even via post) instead of buying them.

Adjusting to positions is an interesting craft. You need a timing machine, a very well-serviced watch, and either a lot of patience or a lot of swear words.

Default Re: Where to look for a thesis on positional accuracy & the corrections made to corre (By: Paul_S)

I'd also add that it is best to start learning with quality watches---watches that were originally adjusted and are capable of being fine tuned.

It's easier to adjust nice watches than "bottom-feeding" watches, which lack some features that make it much easier (screw heads with slots, for example).

A 12-size Illinois pocket watch in good condition is a nice place to start.

Default Re: Where to look for a thesis on positional accuracy & the corrections made to corre (By: Paul_S)

i agree with Paul s ,,Start with a 15 or 17 jewel watch a good one to start on would be the waltham model 1899 elgin 16 size etc.
    Dont start with a 7 jewel elgin or something of the same low quality a lot of these will be be hard for any watchmaker to make run good..
    as a beginner Starting on a basket case movement can discourage and make you want to give up ..

Default Re: Where to look for a thesis on positional accuracy & the corrections made to corre (By: s. smith)

Thanks for all the replies....

Frustrating at times yes I'd say very...

But I do have a timing machine and a fair slew of "projects". And today I had a fairly big win-a watch that had given me a lot of trouble is finally running strong & accurate. Hairsprings & the alignment can be very dodgy to correct. On this watch I had done everything I could-and ended up deciding to take a closer look at the timing weights. Sure enough 2 extra small ones-that once removed the watch is timed dead center on the adjustor.

Wanna make yourself slightly ill?? Take a $32.00 6497 copy-that's delivered with a ok case from junglewoman.com-and set it up after tuning it. Dead straight lines in all positions-easy peasy.

Not so easy on these antiques.

I have my 1st "nice" one on the way. A Illinois Railroad dispatch special-that looked unused & it runs. Paid about 5 x what my norm is but I already have too many & wanted a nice one. Hope it runs as good as it looks.

And last note-a 16s traveler Waltham is probably my most accurate watch in the vintage category. Sturdy & well built does a lot for the ability to be accurate after all these years.

Cheers!

Registered user.

Default Re: Where to look for a thesis on positional accuracy & the corrections made to corre (By: Whereisitat)

If you can find a copy, there is a paperback book titled "Timing Manipulations" by James L. Hamilton that has good information in it.
    Samantha

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_S View Post
    I'd also add that it is best to start learning with quality watches---watches that were originally adjusted and are capable of being fine tuned.

It's easier to adjust nice watches than "bottom-feeding" watches, which lack some features that make it much easier (screw heads with slots, for example).

A 12-size Illinois pocket watch in good condition is a nice place to start.
    I wanted to 1st say-Thank you Paul-S that is the exact thing I was looking for to get started-and you created it!-Good job I have a lot to absorb & maybe-hopefully-learn.

I did just get a 12S Illinois and it was very clean inside & out-ran great face up/ down. But fell of a cliff when rotated even slightly. I knew this was a contact issue & luckily after a few in / outs with the bearings etc...I found it.

The hairspring stud was up a tad high. Not sure if it had been replaced without a trace-or moved up to get off the feet of the regulator pins. When I trimmed a hairs worth off the stud it stopped doing the free fall.

Now I'm back to normal tuning I hope.

Guess the thing I need to remind myself as a self taught beginner is check the basics 1st then make your decisions when that is firm.
    Again-GREAT website & its a rainy day so I'm going to enrich myself.
    Thanks!

Good to hear, and happy adjusting!

Been a while....

And todays project was further dynamic poising a 12S Elgin GM Wheeler 1906 "adjusted". This was my 1st attempt & thanks to Paul_S & his detailed instructions I actually did pretty good. THANKS again...Great information.

And I also want to give a nod to something I didn't pay much attention to-AMPLITUDE!.

I mostly watched the seconds & beat from the timing machine. I had no idea what a huge factor amplitude was.

My 12S Illinois is pretty much dead on without any adjustments after changing the main spring & making sure the barrel arbor etc... were spinning free. The old spring had plenty of resistance but didn't do the job.

After about-all day-I finally got my 12s Elgin to hold accurate in 4 positions. Face up, Down & Pendant up / down are all within a few seconds. Yay!!! . That is as close as I can get with my small assortment of timing weights & stolen balance weights. Lucky some of my weights had been hollowed from the bottom giving me a fair amount of variability vs the small weights I had.

This was a challenge to say the least. The Elgin had a bent(!) balance wheel and huge poise issues. I ended up stripping all the weights off & using a donor balance that had what looked to be pristine weights but also a broken staff. Better after that-enough to get reading on the machine-gulp. Then a full days trial & error got me a modest success.

And I have a fair amount of carnage behind me due to learning curve & ooops I dropped it-sigh-but I've done better than I imagined-and not without a lot of help-Thanks again to everyone!.
    Last edited by Whereisitat; 04-04-2017 at 07:23 PM.