Goal: $300, Received: $360.00 (120%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What does this steampunk thing mean ? (By: sparkey0151)

I got two nice early English pocket watches in sterling cases for $50 that was in a shadow box with other clock parts that was an art project so as with all things "To Each Their Own".

Registered user.

Default Re: What does this steampunk thing mean ? (By: Firegriff)

The term "steampunk" was originally used to describe a certain type of literature in the science fiction/science fantasy genres, but the term has come to be attached to anything that might be found within same. The Victorian era is the usual setting for these things, and so you will find clothing of that era with the term "steampunk" attached to attract the SP fans. This association applies as well to anything else that could conceivably be attributed to the SP sub-genre. The graphic novel "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" is a good example of steampunk lit, and it was made into a movie as well. Personally, I prefer that the term be limited to literature. An exhaustive article on steampunk can be found on Wikipedia, should anyone be interested enough to plow through it. I wasn't.
    -- Richard in Hungry Horse
    Horologist-in-training

Registered user. David Mac Farlane's Avatar

Default Re: What does this steampunk thing mean ? (By: Glacierman)

Interesting thoughts. I have never heard of steampunk before, and was beginning to think it was an American thing till I checked on the originator of the thread!
    Interesting reference to 'artificially aged guitars - hate the thought, owning a pristine Gibson LP standard!
    I also rarely sell or throw out metal of any description, and wood. I work with both, and find uses for my 'scrap' frequently.
    I spend lots of money on tools - theory is 'if you use it once, it is paid for.
    Shown is a tiny space in my garage workshop - I have 4 sheds, a basement, an attic and a music room - in similar disarray - our cleaning lady loves me
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0161.jpg  

Default Re: What does this steampunk thing mean ? (By: David Mac Farlane)

Quote Originally Posted by David Mac Farlane View Post
    Interesting thoughts. I have never heard of steampunk before, and was beginning to think it was an American thing till I checked on the originator of the thread!
    Interesting reference to 'artificially aged guitars - hate the thought, owning a pristine Gibson LP standard!
    I also rarely sell or throw out metal of any description, and wood. I work with both, and find uses for my 'scrap' frequently.
    I spend lots of money on tools - theory is 'if you use it once, it is paid for.
    Shown is a tiny space in my garage workshop - I have 4 sheds, a basement, an attic and a music room - in similar disarray - our cleaning lady loves me
    Nice. What kind of lathe is that?

Robert

Default Re: What does this steampunk thing mean ? (By: Glacierman)

Quote Originally Posted by Glacierman View Post
    The term "steampunk" was originally used to describe a certain type of literature in the science fiction/science fantasy genres, but the term has come to be attached to anything that might be found within same. The Victorian era is the usual setting for these things, and so you will find clothing of that era with the term "steampunk" attached to attract the SP fans. This association applies as well to anything else that could conceivably be attributed to the SP sub-genre. The graphic novel "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" is a good example of steampunk lit, and it was made into a movie as well. Personally, I prefer that the term be limited to literature. An exhaustive article on steampunk can be found on Wikipedia, should anyone be interested enough to plow through it. I wasn't.
    If you want to see an example of "Steampunk" the animated movie "Steamboy" is a good one.

Also "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" Is basically what Steampunk is based on.

Quote Originally Posted by Firegriff View Post
    Also "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" Is basically what Steampunk is based on.
    I don't know about the others on this forum but I care nothing for SP. The only thing I'm doing is trying to keep them from ruining good parts. I can't do a lot but I do what I can.

Robert

Default Re: What does this steampunk thing mean ? (By: Accutronica)

There are quite a few people who are into SteamPunk. Most people will purchase the items they will wear. There are few that create the SteamPunk art/jewelry/clothing. Even fewer horological items will be used for these art/jewelry/costumes. They will use anything and everything to make the art/jewelry/clothing as long as it looks Steampunkish. I know a friend who makes steampunk items and I don't think he has ever used a horological item. Another friend uses some horological items for her jewelry but she will buy a bag of watch gears for $1 to use.

The artists will rarely purchase a working and expensive horological item for their artwork/jewlry/clothing. The artist would prefer to spend pennies on the parts they use.

Of course there will be exceptions but I would not consider SteamPunk as a danger to functioning horological items. I do hope that people who do purchase jewelry or artwork that has some horological items in them may become interested in working horological items.

Functioning pocket watches are popular with SteamPunk people.

Default Re: What does this steampunk thing mean ? (By: Styrofoam_Guy)

Quote Originally Posted by Styrofoam_Guy View Post
    There are quite a few people who are into SteamPunk. Most people will purchase the items they will wear. There are few that create the SteamPunk art/jewelry/clothing. Even fewer horological items will be used for these art/jewelry/costumes. They will use anything and everything to make the art/jewelry/clothing as long as it looks Steampunkish. I know a friend who makes steampunk items and I don't think he has ever used a horological item. Another friend uses some horological items for her jewelry but she will buy a bag of watch gears for $1 to use.

The artists will rarely purchase a working and expensive horological item for their artwork/jewlry/clothing. The artist would prefer to spend pennies on the parts they use.

Of course there will be exceptions but I would not consider SteamPunk as a danger to functioning horological items. I do hope that people who do purchase jewelry or artwork that has some horological items in them may become interested in working horological items.

Functioning pocket watches are popular with SteamPunk people.
    I wonder why they couldn't think of a better name?

Robert

Registered user.

My wife is into steampunk of sorts, she has always liked bangles and bracelets. If I need to locate a 'lost' watch chain I need look no further than her arms, she probably has half-dozen on right now!

Default Re: What does this steampunk thing mean ? (By: sparkey0151)

Here is an example of where your clock/watch parts may go. All of these items are not for sale.

https://allnaturalarts.squarespace.c...pqc11kcnhaqk7o

Default Re: What does this steampunk thing mean ? (By: Dick C)

Quote Originally Posted by Dick C View Post
    Here is an example of where your clock/watch parts may go. All of these items are not for sale.

https://allnaturalarts.squarespace.c...pqc11kcnhaqk7o
    That is some pretty stuff. I can see why some people would be into it. Maybe we should look at their art for rare parts that may not have been ruined...

Robert

Blog Entries

So i guess this would surprise many here, http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?7...mpunk-Festival
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: What does this steampunk thing mean ? (By: Kevin W.)

What has helped with saving watch parts is that Steam Punk has gotten so popular that they have made low cost pocket watches and parts for decoration and for use in making Steam punk designed items and clothing but I have also bought a lot of Elgin 0s and 8/0 movements some with good balances and hair springs at a very low cost from the artist sites ( guess I should not tell my secret movements suppliers).

Default Re: What does this steampunk thing mean ?

Accu,
    Brother, I believe most of us want to keep good parts away from being punked.
    I say let them have the broken mainsprings and what we won't miss to keep them happy as it were...
    Dave.
    Last edited by PWfanatik; 04-09-2017 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Fix poor spelling