Goal: $300, Received: $225.00 (75%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What does this steampunk thing mean ?

When you see parts etc on ebay etc they say things in the description steampunk, what does this mean, its got me baffled, is it a new thing is it a firm that sells parts what if its something obvious its passed me bye,

regards john

Registered user.
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What does this steampunk thing mean ? (By: sparkey0151)

Steampunk is Victorian science fiction. It's a fictional reality in which technology never passed the steam engine. Other technologies were developed but they largely revolve around crystals and magic and stuff... Gears, or "cogs" as steampunk aficionados refer to them, are central. There's a fair amount of clockwork romanticism over it all.

The sad part is that EXTREMELY few people actually make working stuff. They mainly just make them look aged and complicated. They're props. And the watch parts sold with "steampunk" in the listing name is to make them pop up when folks are looking for something fancy to glue to their hat or their glasses or whatever...

So steampunk is a subculture where they dress up like Victorian era London aristocracy mixed with a sort of clockwork sci-fi. Jules Vernes stories are considered canon.

Regards
    Karl

A simple explanation is that people gather a mess of parts that have no origin described, selling them to users who would like to put them into some sort of art form.

An example might be clock gears ending up as the wheels of a car with other odd items making up the remainder.

Default Re: What does this steampunk thing mean ? (By: Dick C)

Oh i see, so when they advertise a pocket watch n, its so they can have it as part of the outfit or scene or whatever, bit like some so called modern art, i see the point in some things in other stuff its a load of, and quite frankly dont want to, would not waste time on it, it is an insult to intelligence, but i suppose its just my opinion what do i know.

Registered user.
    Blog Entries

... Didn't really follow your train of thought there. Lots of commas.

A fair few good pocket and wristwatch movements have been sacrificed at the altar of steampunk. One of my favorite pet peeves is this guy who makes cufflinks out of ladies wristwatch movements. He claims that he is "bluing the movements". He takes a blowtorch to them before he solders them to cufflink blanks.

But you know, it's up to anyone to buy what they like and to dowhat they like with what they buy. Just seems a shame to torch something that has been made to tell time precisely. A bit like trashing a vintage guitar so that it will look cooler when you put it on the wall or something.

Default Re: What does this steampunk thing mean ? (By: karlmansson)

While there are a few highly publicized incidents where nice stuff is ending up in 'art' projects, for the most part these folks are buying the junk that no one else wants. I never throw anything away anymore. If I have junk movements or parts that are beneath what I can sell to the watch and clock community, I slap a 'steampunk' label on it and it sells. That being said, the steampunk movement seems to have reached its peak about 2 years ago and is now winding down. Not as much interest in this stuff lately.

Default Re: What does this steampunk thing mean ? (By: Dave Coatsworth)

My train of thought is its a shame to destroy these pocket watches etc but if there scrap anyway i suppose it does not matter they may as well get used for something, each to there own i suppose.

Default Re: What does this steampunk thing mean ? (By: Dave Coatsworth)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Coatsworth View Post
    While there are a few highly publicized incidents where nice stuff is ending up in 'art' projects, for the most part these folks are buying the junk that no one else wants. I never throw anything away anymore. If I have junk movements or parts that are beneath what I can sell to the watch and clock community, I slap a 'steampunk' label on it and it sells. That being said, the steampunk movement seems to have reached its peak about 2 years ago and is now winding down. Not as much interest in this stuff lately.
    I bought a load of PW wheels and stuff just to make sure a steampunker wouldn't get them.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by sparkey0151 View Post
    My train of thought is its a shame to destroy these pocket watches etc but if there scrap anyway i suppose it does not matter they may as well get used for something, each to there own i suppose.
    I disagree. Sooner or later there will be a watchmaker that needs those wheels and parts for a repair.

Robert

Default Re: What does this steampunk thing mean ? (By: Accutronica)

I did the same with some clock parts - turns out I have found more than one useful bit in the box - but my main reason is so that when my grand kids come over and want to play with grandpa's clock stuff they can do no harm. It is quite interesting what they end up cobbling together with leggos and doll house toys. An old EW makes a fine yard fountain for a doll house.

Quote Originally Posted by Accutronica View Post
    I bought a load of PW wheels and stuff just to make sure a steampunker wouldn't get them.

Robert
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - The Great One

Default Re: What does this steampunk thing mean ? (By: THTanner)

Good evening, all!

I have no use for the fantasy of steampunk. As far as I am concerned, it is macaroni art for grownups who truly know nothing about history and do not appreciate what a horror show the Victorian era actually was.

The steampunk people usually have no idea whatsoever whether the parts they're looking at are worthless or valuable. And that is the problem: Valuable bits of horology can as easily be sacrificed on the altar of steampunk as the junk some would prefer they use. These dilettantes are incapable of making an appropriate judgment. They indiscriminately trash both the important and the junk.

It's a lot like those scrappers who wouldn't know an important timepiece if it came up and bit them in the behind.

Best regards!

Tim Orr

Default Re: What does this steampunk thing mean ? (By: Tim Orr)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Orr View Post
    Good evening, all!

I have no use for the fantasy of steampunk. As far as I am concerned, it is macaroni art for grownups who truly know nothing about history and do not appreciate what a horror show the Victorian era actually was.

The steampunk people usually have no idea whatsoever whether the parts they're looking at are worthless or valuable. And that is the problem: Valuable bits of horology can as easily be sacrificed on the altar of steampunk as the junk some would prefer they use. These dilettantes are incapable of making an appropriate judgment. They indiscriminately trash both the important and the junk.

It's a lot like those scrappers who wouldn't know an important timepiece if it came up and bit them in the behind.

Best regards!

Tim Orr
    It is just a laugh..I don't know why any other energy is put towards it at all.

Default Re: What does this steampunk thing mean ?

I'll be the contrarian.

Marcel Duchamp is a prime example of re purposing and redefining what art is.

The steampunk thing is only a small trend(as a percentage of fashion), it's not destroying vintage
    watch/clock collecting. In fact I live in one of the biggest cities in the world(NYC) and I don't
    ever see people wearing this stuff. I also go to many
    craft fairs, and it's not that prominent.

There is a New York Renaissance festival where people do dress up, and this is the
    only place that I would see it, and they advertise it.

If anything, in the long run, if people have interest in vintage mechanical machines and tools
    maybe some of them will become watch and clock collectors of the future.

NOTE: I'm not condoning the destruction of any clocks or watches or watch parts.

Rob

Default Re: What does this steampunk thing mean ? (By: musicguy)

About the only time I hear of them is on eBay. But one thing is certain, if I'm trying to fix a watch and find out someone messed up a few teeth on a wheel, I'm going to be so happy if I find an exact replacement in my box.

Robert

Registered user.
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What does this steampunk thing mean ? (By: Accutronica)

Considering the massive about of parts that are scrapped through the Swiss service industry each day there shouldn't be any trouble supplying the art and steampunk demand several times over. It's a shame when it's done to functional, obsolete parts. Unfortunately, as other have said Before me, the challenge lies in identifying what is what.

A worn down Wheel is a worn down Wheel and should be replaced in a replacement can be found. I hardly Think it would matter to steampunk folks if the addendum profiles are shot...